2011 - Relentless Northwest 200 Road Races

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

2011 - Relentless Northwest 200 Road Races

Post by Andy »

First practice is underway already . Worldwide live streaming at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/13399688.stm
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

These are real men. Thanks Andy
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

you are welcome :thumbsup:

I am surprised by the quality of the streaming so far. Compared to last year it became really good. No lags and stuff
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

I must say I am a bit disappointed that Keith Amor and John McGuiness have to give it a miss thanks to riding the Albacete 24h in world endurance
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Results of Tuesday sessions at https://secure.voloper.co.uk/northwest2 ... e/175.aspx

I wish I could find this movie somewhere: https://secure.voloper.co.uk/northwest2 ... e/169.aspx Unfortunately, due to being invited to the 70th anniversary of my neighbour I cannot attend the Thursday sessions. I hope someone can catch the action from the Giants Causeway for me. See you on Saturday for the races anyway. :bye:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Thursday morning roads close from 9am bst / 10am cet for the second, final qualifying to this years NW200
Sessions are supposed to kick off from 10am bst / 11 am cet. From all I could read it is supposed to be shown via live stream again , so best bet is keeping an eye on the http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/norther ... efault.stm website from the proposed start time onward. Unfortunately, I cannot attend it due to being engaged to drive guests at my neighbours 70th anniversary. However, I'll be around for the races on Saturday.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Best Wishes For A Speedy Recovery Go Out To Stuart Easton

I couldn't keep up with the sessions yesterday due to other commitments unfortunately and learned only now that Stuart Easton has had a massive accident which involved Gary Mason as well. Stuart has been brought to Royal Victoria Hospital and is reported with a broken pelvis as well as several broken fingers. http://www.northwest200.org/news_articl ... aston.aspx

However, races commence from 11 am bst / noon CET and are broadcasted behind the red button (the first two only) and from the bbc ni bikes website
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That sounds quite nasty...always a danger on these road races though. It's a surprise they still hold them!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

I am too, but I am happy they do.

Doesn't stop me pausing each time on the day leading up to a Northwest 200 or and Isle of Man TT event and hoping every rider makes it through in one piece though. Every single person out there has bigger balls than I'll ever grow.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Well, I am not certain to put it down to just the common old road racing is dangerous and so on. Racing is dangerous, some classes more some less. For instance, I remember sidecar racer Steve Norbury dying at the "relatively safe" place Sachskurve at Hockenheim during a sidecar IDM round 2 or 3 years ago.
I agree though that road racing might belong to the more dangerous but I am fairly far away from banning thoughts which come to life every so often. On the other hand I really enjoy this sport and admire the riders who fight it out in slipstream battles with wheels only an inch away from each other at speeds of 120 mph , over 130 mph average per lap at the Ulster GP
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Andy wrote: On the other hand I really enjoy this sport and admire the riders who fight it out in slipstream battles with wheels only an inch away from each other at speeds of 120 mph , over 130 mph average per lap at the Ulster GP
Andy, you have probably seen this, but in case not, or for others interested, here is what was an excellent battle at last years Ulster GP at Dundrod.

A tremendous battle between Michael Dunlop, Keith Amor, Ian Hutchinson and William Dunlop. All four of them battling for the lead, and only one lap to go on the Dundrod Circuit.

The race was arguably one of the best ever, from start to finish, and this last lap is worth the watch.

Irish Road Racing 2010 - Ulster GP - Supersport Amazing Final Lap !!!!

In fact I found the BBC Highlights reel of the 2010 NW200

Believe it or not, down here at the other end of the world and we get terrific TV coverage of the Irish Road Racing series. It isn't live but it is shown when it is still current. For instance this week we have had the 2011 Cookstown 100 meeting..... AFAIK the meeting was only in the last couple of weeks. :thumbsup:

By the way the 'Between the Hedges' doco you mentioned has recently been digitally re-mastered (I think that is the term?) and released on DVD. Not sure how much $$$, but it may turn up on torrents etc if it has not already done so.

With two of the younger generation in that clip, but particularly here discussing the NW200 the NW 200 meeting it is hard to think about it without mentioning the legendary Dunlop family name.... they have dominated pretty much the event in all classes at some time, plus of course great achievments at other Road Racing venues over probably 3 decades.

Three years ago this week, at this very meeting, we lost Robert, and of course 10 years ago we lost his brother Joey racing in Europe. I must admit that when, two days after the loss of Robert, I was surprised, even a bit shocked, when Robert's son Michael lined up to race in the 250cc event..... I found it all quite emotional when Michael took the chequered flag to win the event.

That takes courage and 'great testicular fortitude'. Legends all of them. Respect.

Robert and Joey having a chat on the grid prior to a race.

RIP Joey and Robert Dunlop.

Whilst talking Dunlops, I see that William (son of Robert and older brother of Michael) Dunlop has done pretty well in practice for the races this weekend, taking top ten positions in three classes, that is Superbike, Supersport 600, and Superstock. He will no doubt be keen to add to his couple of 250cc NW200 wins..... and close the gap of NW200 wins achieved by his father Robert and uncle Joey.

Dunlop Family NW200 wins.

Robert 15 wins
Joey 13 wins
William 2 wins
Michael 1 win.

Actually one of my all time fave bikes would be Robert Dunlop's JPS Norton. Beautiful machine. Of course Robert did quite well at the NW200 on this very machine a couple of decades ago. :wink:
A reasonably large pic of it here, in a spoiler to save a bit of page space.
Lets hope for a safe, or at least fatality/serious injury free meeting. Best of luck to all.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Thanks for the videos everso, I'll watch those a little later. Seeing that beautiful JPS Norton again brings back childhood memories of my first exposure to BSB and World Championship 500cc GP racing. When it was first introduced to circuit racing the JPS Norton was woefully underdeveloped yet somehow managed to achieve remarkable results. Plus with Rocket Ron onboard, it was never not going to be a crowd pleaser.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

A couple of links that are useful and worth a look (especially the on board lap):

BBC's NW200 blog for the very latest goss.

Thirteen-times North West winner Phillip McCallen's 3D circuit guide to the 8.9-mile North West course

Brilliant full on board lap

Actually a bit strange, being it is literally through the streets and houses.... and then when the bike takes a sort of escape road and ends up in a streetful of people standing. The difference in surfaces around the track are huge, and so many white lines and lane markings it would be a nightmare in the wet. Surprised to see no real protection on lamp poles etc bordering the track.

In fact I got quite a good aerobic workout whilst following the lap, and found myself leaning left and right through the bends as the bike leans almost flat one way and then the other (as you do.....) Oh yeah and its fast. Bloody fast.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:Brilliant full on board lap
:shock: At 3:18 He could have died.
Motorsportrace
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Motorsportrace wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote:Brilliant full on board lap
:shock: At 3:18 He could have died.
That was beating an eye lash to Magherabuoy chicane during practice.