Join us here in ranking Ayrton Senna's Formula 1 cars! viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16038

1977 Crash! Volume 1

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
User avatar
hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: 1977 Crash! Volume 1

Post by hollie3sa » 1 year ago

Latest post of the previous page:

#3: Torana corner, Sandown

#16: Amaroo park for both, 1974
More details here

#17: Bottom photo is Amaroo park, stop corner.
The top photo should also be Amaroo, on the approach to stop corner.

#21: All three are from Shell corner @ Sandown. See bottom left photo here

#22: Torana corner, Sandown

#26-27: His name is Ian Fergusson + Top right photo: Bruce Allison, 1976, Sandown, Torana corner. See here
http://www.oldracingcars.com/results/re ... aceID=SQ76

#28-29: The #16 car could be a Matich SR3/SR4. + Car # 31 at Calder.

#31: Very likely 1972. See here and here

#37: That should be Peter Janson in the 2nd car in the 1st photo.

#38-39: I'm quite sure that's Calder park in all pictures. Not 100% though.

#47: 1974(?), See here - Sandown and here - Oran Park

#52-53: Guess what? That's Calder Park (aka Calder Rallycross).
This won't solve it. But apparently, major accidents happened quite frequently there. *Click*

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 year ago

Will catch up soon, many thanks for the info.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: 4 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 1 year ago

#68 top photo is a Mazda R100. I have the original photograph somewhere. Will dig it up. Incl. ID, hopefully.

There it is: John Wharton, track and year still unknown. The track shouldn't be too big of a task. I think I've seen this exact angle in other photos.

Image

Source: Facebook // Bob Williamson

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 year ago

List revised with the #68 Wharton.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 year ago

Jesper Hvid wrote:
1 year ago
Jesper Hvid wrote:2: 2 different pile-ups from US stock car races, all is unknown. 1 image each.
Top one is from the 1975 Winston 500 at Talladega. Ramo Stott (#83), Marty Robbins (#42) and James Hylton (#48). Another pic:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-rac ... nascar.htm

Grabbed it, just in case. Image

http://racing-reference.info/race/1975_Winston_500/W

List revised.
I found another one of that on my HD, it's not the exact same as any previously posted one. Click to enlarge:

Image
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: 4 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 1 year ago

#3
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18728
Can't be 1979, of course

Driver is Garth Wigston in which can only be the 1977 Hang Ten 400 (DNF)

The ATCC ran two races at Sandown, The advertisment you can see in the picture (Bottom right corner, starting with an "H") was only there for the Hang Ten 400 (Round 8 of the 1977 season). Not for the first race (round 5).


#6
Nick Petrilli & Mick Brown, 1971
http://autopics.com.au/71130-f-gibson-f ... 16-5-1971/


#16
Another shot: http://autopics.com.au/74164-what-a-mes ... -j-ruting/


#68
My suggestion is 1973
Image
First meeting of the 2 litre Alfas at surfers and my R100 ended up beating Sue Ransom and Chris Cole in 1973. Ran a 1;33.0
-by John Wharton

User avatar
hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: 4 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 1 year ago

Not the same as #47 but might help with the year:

Allan Moffat, 1974, Oran Park

Image

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 year ago

Sorry. I haven't done the revisions as I said I would, I promise to update later this week, and thanks a lot for your continuing efforts, it's really making buying these mags superbly worthwhile.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

hollie3sa wrote:
1 year ago
#3: Torana corner, Sandown

#16: Amaroo park for both, 1974
More details here

#17: Bottom photo is Amaroo park, stop corner.
The top photo should also be Amaroo, on the approach to stop corner.

#21: All three are from Shell corner @ Sandown. See bottom left photo here

#22: Torana corner, Sandown

#26-27: His name is Ian Fergusson + Top right photo: Bruce Allison, 1976, Sandown, Torana corner. See here
http://www.oldracingcars.com/results/re ... aceID=SQ76

#28-29: The #16 car could be a Matich SR3/SR4. + Car # 31 at Calder.
Revised.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

hollie3sa wrote:
1 year ago
#37: That should be Peter Janson in the 2nd car in the 1st photo.

#52-53: Guess what? That's Calder Park (aka Calder Rallycross).
This won't solve it. But apparently, major accidents happened quite frequently there. *Click*
Revised.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

hollie3sa wrote:
1 year ago
#3
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18728
Can't be 1979, of course

Driver is Garth Wigston in which can only be the 1977 Hang Ten 400 (DNF)

The ATCC ran two races at Sandown, The advertisment you can see in the picture (Bottom right corner, starting with an "H") was only there for the Hang Ten 400 (Round 8 of the 1977 season). Not for the first race (round 5).

#6
Nick Petrilli & Mick Brown, 1971
http://autopics.com.au/71130-f-gibson-f ... 16-5-1971/
Revised. Last one also counts for an item in vol. 2.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

And thanks for all the extra pics!
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

BTW,
hollie3sa wrote:
1 year ago
#16: Amaroo park for both, 1974
More details here

[...]

#16
Another shot: http://autopics.com.au/74164-what-a-mes ... -j-ruting/
"#6 George Garth, XU1" is #9. 5 cars ended up in the pile-up.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

Jesper Hvid wrote:54-55: Left: Gary Howsare, Williams Grove Speedway, unknown year. This is also on page 58-59 of volume 2.
Year was 1974, and the sequence (6) containing this pic made the front page of the Illustrated Speedway News, click to enlarge:

Image

Doesn't seem to indicate that another driver was involved.

List revised.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

User avatar
hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: 4 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 11 months ago

hollie3sa wrote:
1 year ago
#68 top photo is a Mazda R100. I have the original photograph somewhere. Will dig it up. Incl. ID, hopefully.

There it is: John Wharton, track and year still unknown. The track shouldn't be too big of a task. I think I've seen this exact angle in other photos.

Image

Source: Facebook // Bob Williamson
John Wharton himself gives us the answer:
The reason that it rolled is because the Mini in the photograph hit me in the RHR corner entering the Eastern Loop at Lakeside. The car did a 1:33.0 at tSurfers and beat the two Alfa 2000's on their debut driven by Chris Cole and Sue Ransom
The photo is taken against the driving direction. Haha, fooled me long enough.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 32599
Joined: 15 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 11 months ago

List revised with Lakeside International Raceway for this item.
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

Post Reply