1953 2 Wrecks From NYSF/Syracuse 100?

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

1953 2 Wrecks From NYSF/Syracuse 100?

Post by Jesper Hvid » 3 months ago

Click to enlarge:

#1:

#2:

September 12, 1953

Three “crackups” marred the 100-mile championship race at the 1953 State Fair, killing one spectator and injuring 20 more.

Lawrence Sycell* (sic), 30, of Tallman Street, was killed in the race’s first crash. A car driven by national champion Chuck Stevenson struck another and hurdled over a concrete barrier.

During the second crash, a New York State Trooper named Singleton, rushed out onto to the track when driver Eddie Russo** hit the concrete barrier and flipped six times, breaking both arms, a leg, and collapsing his chest.

While working to extricate Russo, a car turned the corner and barreled into the disabled car, sending the trooper over the wall.

As he was taken to the State Fair hospital, the dazed trooper mumbled, “My .45 revolver…it’s on the track. Someone get it.”

Only 7 of the 18 cars finished the race that day.
http://www.champcarstats.com/races/195309.htm

* = http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=7121 <--- "Syrell".

** = Russo's wreck, which I've seen before, and don't understand why I cannot find, here, so must have mislabelled it, but here it is, again:Image
You only have to read the lines of scribbly black and everything shines.

Michael Ferner
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner » 3 months ago

Without access to my material, I'd say that's probably Syracuse 1953 all right, but not a crash scene - the first picture shows Tommy Hinnershitz helping to push his stricken Sabourin/Offy off the track, and the second possibly the same. ChampCarStats says engine problems.

Correction: the second picture is a different car, maybe the Dunn Engineering #89 which ChampCarStats says wrecked. WIll have to checck at home.
Winning isn't everything, but it's somewhat better than finishing second! -- Bruce McLaren

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

All the cars listed as wrecked are in turns, and #2 looks like it hit the fence on a straight, and I'm pretty sure it's the backstretch.

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

Precise location of the #2 wreck circled in red. It's just before turn 3, and I'd say that would rule out Fedricks' turn 4 accident.