The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
The Ost
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post by The Ost » 6 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

This is going to be confusing have two lists on two forums, unless both are updated equally.

And you can confirm all the ones I contributed because I took them from 40 Years of Stock Car Racing and/or newspaper reports.
"When money talk, few are deaf" - Charlie Chan

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 6 months ago

The Ost wrote:
6 months ago
This is going to be confusing have two lists on two forums, unless both are updated equally.
Not trying to brag at all here, but I'm positive the list that me and @Seibara have made is possibly the most complete and/or accurate. After cross referencing I couldn't tell you how many fallacies we have found with the many other flip lists out there on other forums! :lol:

I'm not saying to pick a side, but to avoid confusion, I would refer to the list we have made if you need any information.
Lead guitarist of Anticipation Proclamation 8)
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone dances with the grim reaper.

acerogers58
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by acerogers58 » 6 months ago

This is an aftermath shot of a Terry Labonte practice or testing crash at Riverside in 1986, couldn’t find any articles on it but looking at some dents in the roof area just above the drivers window and damage near the roof on the back could of this possibily been a flip? What do you guys think? Click to enlarge.

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 6 months ago

acerogers58 wrote:
6 months ago
This is an aftermath shot of a Terry Labonte practice or testing crash at Riverside in 1986, couldn’t find any articles on it but looking at some dents in the roof area just above the drivers window and damage near the roof on the back could of this possibily been a flip? What do you guys think?
I believe this wreck actually happened during the race, he broke through a concrete wall and, from what I understand, cartwheeled. It remains somewhat of a mystery.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone dances with the grim reaper.

hollie3sa
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by hollie3sa » 6 months ago

Microsprinter18 wrote:
6 months ago
acerogers58 wrote:
6 months ago
This is an aftermath shot of a Terry Labonte practice or testing crash at Riverside in 1986, couldn’t find any articles on it but looking at some dents in the roof area just above the drivers window and damage near the roof on the back could of this possibily been a flip? What do you guys think?
I believe this wreck actually happened during the race, he broke through a concrete wall and, from what I understand, cartwheeled. It remains somewhat of a mystery.

From 57:15

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 6 months ago

@acerogers58 @hollie3sa @Microsprinter18 @The Ost Please note that this thread is now in this section.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

sadsac
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Leon, MG zs

Post by sadsac » 5 months ago

Check out this youtube link Microsprinter18
you might find more to add :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 62B38C7ED0

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 4 months ago

Added: Cup - Jerry O'Neill, Watkins Glen, 1992 - Flip in practice

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 3 months ago

Added: Cup - Elton Hildreth, Martinsville I, 1954.

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Added: Cup - Brendan Gaughan, Talladega II, 2019

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Removed: Cup - Rodney Orr, Daytona I, 1994 (FATAL)

Nothing ever said he did a full flip, it is presumed he hit the wall with the roof of his car in a Jill George/Chad Hackenbracht type situation.

acerogers58
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by acerogers58 » 2 months ago

acerogers58 wrote:
7 months ago
Regarding the list posted above by @sadsac

Updates to list: (2018 onwards)
2018: Jamie McMurray, Talladega - flip in practice
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4333
2018: Austin Cindric, Xfinity series, Daytona - flip in race
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4116
2019: Kyle Larson, Monster Energy Cup, Talladega - flip in race
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4354

Missing:
2012: Tony Stewart, Sprint Cup, Talladega - flip in race, this one has been debated for a while but in my mind it's a flip, specifically looking at picture 6.
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4348

1998: Jon Redman, Goody's Dash, Langley - flip in race
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4408

2000: Ted Riggott, NASCAR Modified, New Hampshire - flip in race

2013: Danny Bohn, NASCAR Modified, Daytona short track - flip in race
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=2450

2014: Ron Yuhas, NASCAR Modified, New Hampshire - flip in race

Need more info/missing info:

198?: Chuck Bown, NASCAR North Tour , Catamount - flip in practice, cant be sure of the year, source said 1986 but they never raced there in 1986.

2010: Joey Coulter, ARCA, Daytona - flip in testing, There is a youtuber named StreamCheese who knows Joey Coulter and said he flipped in a private test in 2010 on a live stream a couple of years back, no info or any mention of the accident has been heard since.

Various years and drivers: Nascar Modified. There are a few Un ID'd Modified flips in this video, First one is either Mike Stefanik or Chris Kopec, 1988 Thompson, others I don't know.

Solved:
I'd say Darrell Waltrip definitely flipped at Nashville looking at this aftermath photo

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4456

Kelly Moore's Busch North crash was 1998, listed in the Regional series list.
Jerry is the Huffman brother that flipped at Indiana in ARCA during 1996

acerogers58
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Joe Millikan flipped during the 1980 Richmond 400, Cup series, not on list, car winded up on its side but from 10+ newspapers I have read its likely he rolled fully

I found some additional info on the Jim Paschal, Doug Cooper and John Sears flips at Greenville in 1967, it turns out all 3 did flip, but only Paschal was unable to continue and per this newspaper report this all happened in the same accident on the opening lap.

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 2 months ago

acerogers58 wrote:
2 months ago
I found some additional info on the Jim Paschal, Doug Cooper and John Sears flips at Greenville in 1967, it turns out all 3 did flip, but only Paschal was unable to continue and per this newspaper report this all happened in the same accident on the opening lap.
Bad ass, dude! Thank you so much! I hope you can find more info about the ones I excluded in this post

acerogers58
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Microsprinter18 wrote:
2 months ago
acerogers58 wrote:
2 months ago
Bad ass, dude! Thank you so much! I hope you can find more info about the ones I excluded in this post
Alright, I had a dig around, Johnny Roberts is definitely confused with the ARCA crash, as the only “Johnny Roberts” to ever race in NASCAR last start came in 1961, he never ran at Charlotte let alone exited a race due to a “crash” and died in 1965 per racingreference.

According to stock car wiki Charlie Mincey did suffer fuel problems at Macon, no mention of any crash, this may of come up because apparently Charlie was offered to act as stunt driver double for Robert Blake in a 1970 racing movie called “Corky”, in which Charlie was supposed to take the checkered flag then crash after spinning across the finish line, Charlie declined the offer as the movie makers wanted him to crash one of his own cars.

As for the others I sadly haven’t found anything yet.

Microsprinter18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Microsprinter18 » 2 months ago

acerogers58 wrote:
2 months ago
Alright, I had a dig around, Johnny Roberts is definitely confused with the ARCA crash, as the only “Johnny Roberts” to ever race in NASCAR last start came in 1961, he never ran at Charlotte let alone exited a race due to a “crash” and died in 1965 per racingreference.

According to stock car wiki Charlie Mincey did suffer fuel problems at Macon, no mention of any crash, this may of come up because apparently Charlie was offered to act as stunt driver double for Robert Blake in a 1970 racing movie called “Corky”, in which Charlie was supposed to take the checkered flag then crash after spinning across the finish line, Charlie declined the offer as the movie makers wanted him to crash one of his own cars.

As for the others I sadly haven’t found anything yet.
Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully more info comes our way!