[cpdb] Fixes/Revisions List

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

This is the very first time I used the search engine of the data base and, what can I say... HUH?

First, typing in "US" or "USA" produced but three results, none of which happened in the USofA. So, understand, I need to type out "United States" - O-KEEEEEEH.....!?? :sarcasm:

Then the next thing: trying to select a category, I find no fewer than three entries for Saloon cars, Touring cars or Stock cars (now, what was the difference again?), but only one (ONE!) for all Open wheelers!! C'mon, you can't be serious! Can I not select between F1, FFord, Sprint cars or Midgets????? (To say nothing of F2, F3, F3000, F5000, FAtlantic, FPacific, FOpel, FRenault, Super Vee, Tasman Formula, Indy car, Champ car, Super Modifieds, FJunior, etc. etc. etc.) :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

You have now Touring cars (a total of 108 entries), Stock cars (1043), Saloon cars (49) and Rallying (184), all covering the same subject, in four different categories, but 1591 Open-wheel entries (nearly half the total of all entries) in one single category. I can understand keeping Rallying apart, but then again you have Rallycross (9) and Autocross (1) as categories, what for? This makes absolutely no sense at all, and makes using the search engine a pain in the arse. :angry: :annoyed:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Michael Ferner wrote: 6 years ago You have now Touring cars (a total of 108 entries), Stock cars (1043), Saloon cars (49) and Rallying (184), all covering the same subject, in four different categories, but 1591 Open-wheel entries (nearly half the total of all entries) in one single category. I can understand keeping Rallying apart, but then again you have Rallycross (9) and Autocross (1) as categories, what for? This makes absolutely no sense at all, and makes using the search engine a pain in the arse. :angry: :annoyed:
I'm taking blame for the Rallycross/Autocross confusion simply because I was unsure of where to draw the line between Rallying/Rallycross.

When you enlighten me as of what kind of car we're talking about here (Stock car? Then what exactly defines a stock car?), I will gladly change the entry:
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=3509

As for your previous post regarding different Formula Cars, I fully agree.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michael Ferner wrote: 6 years ago This is the very first time I used the search engine of the data base and, what can I say... HUH?

First, typing in "US" or "USA" produced but three results, none of which happened in the USofA. So, understand, I need to type out "United States" - O-KEEEEEEH.....!?? :sarcasm:

Then the next thing: trying to select a category, I find no fewer than three entries for Saloon cars, Touring cars or Stock cars (now, what was the difference again?), but only one (ONE!) for all Open wheelers!! C'mon, you can't be serious! Can I not select between F1, FFord, Sprint cars or Midgets????? (To say nothing of F2, F3, F3000, F5000, FAtlantic, FPacific, FOpel, FRenault, Super Vee, Tasman Formula, Indy car, Champ car, Super Modifieds, FJunior, etc. etc. etc.) :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
It's actually SUPER straightforward.

Touring Cars = Any touring car championships, e.g. British TOURING CAR Championship, DTM, ETCC, World Touring Car Championship. It seems that some rally and other crashes have accidentally crept into this category. Will correct in due course.
Saloon Cars = Anything that's not officially a Touring Car Championship. E.g. Renault Clio Cup, Alfa Romeo Championship etc.
Stock Cars = NASCAR, ARCA, Sportsman and related series

And yes you CAN select individual series, under the "Series" dropdown. Scroll down to 'F' and there is a long list of Formula categories, sometimes separating into national classes. Want to see ALL Formula 3 crashes? Then change the 'Series' Equals to 'Series' Contains and type the words 'Formula 3'.

It's quirky and imperfect but it's really not difficult to find stuff.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Is it possible to change the filenames on the server?

I don't like filenames such as:

"8769556961"
"1960Daytonamodifiedwreck021460DBMJ"
"1960DaytonamodifiedRalphEarnhardt"

all in one entry: http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... ditid1=482

There's hundreds similar to this one.
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

@PTRACER

One truely important thing:

We (You?) need to install an Acknowledgement-page for the voluntary contributors, please
Many people are willing to share their photographs with us, I presume. But they would want to see their names mentioned somewhere.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Answers to both above questions:

1. Of course changing the file names are possible if you have FTP access to the server, but then you have to go back and find all the CPdB entries and change those too. I can’t think of a reason why we’d need to worry about file names in the future unless we / the host physically lost the entire database somehow.

2. I have the Credit section under each image and I put my name in there for a few of my photos. I suppose I could make it searchable and create a script which would list all of them sequentially. E.g. Thanks to: ____, ____, ____ etc.

Btw, I also considered having individual logins, so it would tell everyone who edited/uploaded the entry. It would take some time to work out how to do that though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Thank you for your quick reply!

1. I agree, I don't think this really is necessary. It would simply fulfill my needs of tidiness :rip:

2. I'm asking for a reason: A photographer named John Stanley has (for now) exclusively shared a couple of photographs with me/us of Malcolm Aldred's severe accident at Lakeside Park.
And there's probably many more where these came from. I think it would just be the correct way of showing our appreciation for their efforts and will to share them.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Haha, I know what you mean by that. I’m also a bit OCD when it comes to organizing things like file names.

What do you think of my above suggestion? (#2?) Or shall I just create a custom HTML page and we can write those names by hand? That would take minimal effort.

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

I like technically sophisticated solutions.

But I also think it would suffice to simply write these names by hand (and probably add a tiny flag for the country). There won't be thousands and thousands of names to add.
I'm willing to maintain that list.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ok. I’m working most of the week, so when I get the chance...

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

I felt the necessity to add "Public Roads" to the Track Type-section. Hope that's ok for you.

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=4002
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

I'm gonna need some clarification about the "Spectator Incident"-tag.

Does it only apply to people who were watching the race as a "spectator" (as said by mm.org) or should we also count in those who were watching the race as marshals/photographers etc. In terms of a strict definition, we probably wouldn't.
But I personally always think of accidents involving any person that is not a driver/co-driver when we're talking about a "Spectator Incident."

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=1680
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=3472
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Only 18 entries to go and we have reached the 4000 mark
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

hollie3sa wrote: 5 years ago I'm gonna need some clarification about the "Spectator Incident"-tag.

Does it only apply to people who were watching the race as a "spectator" (as said by mm.org) or should we also count in those who were watching the race as marshals/photographers etc. In terms of a strict definition, we probably wouldn't.
But I personally always think of accidents involving any person that is not a driver/co-driver when we're talking about a "Spectator Incident."

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=1680
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=3472
Any thoughts on these, @PTRACER?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus: Should we add a "results" section where we can add a link to formula2.net, touringcarracing.net etc?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I can't remember what I was thinking at the time, but perhaps by Spectator, I meant any kind of bystander. So, someone in the crowd, photographer, marshal etc. I didn't write 'Bystander' to keep it more foreign-language friendly, I guess, but I could change the title of the field to make it more accurate.

Also, I thought a number of times about adding a results link, so I like the idea. The ONLY thing that made me reconsider is if any URLs etc. change. If you think that's not a particularly significant problem, I could go ahead and do it anyway.

@hollie3sa