Random Motorsports Discussion ***MAY Contain Spoilers***

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Final entry list for the 6 Hour here. The race will be shown live on Foxtel in Australia too, though there will still fortunately be a stream for the internationals.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/03/20/ba ... -released/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

62 car entry is pretty good.... not sure if they are all allowed to start or whether there is a lower limit. Mind you I am sure there will likely be some 'Did not Arrives'. Regardless, along with a number of amateur drivers there are some notables taking part as usual... Steven Johnson, Chaz Mostert, Beric Lynton, Tim Leahey (ex V8 driver) Rod Salmon, Sherrin brothers, Mark Eddy, George (son of Andrew) Medeike, etc etc.

Good range of cars entered from Mercedes, Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Kia, Renault, Mazda, Suzuki, Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Volkswagen, Alfa, and Audi!

Good to see forum favourite Jordan Cox is running in the #7 Lancer EVO X RS car. Sharing the drive with car owner Michael King and a Graeme Cox who I presume is a family member, maybe brother, Father, cousin who knows. I don't.
The link to Speedcafe does not show the actual cars running, just the drivers.

Those interested can check the full info entry list at the Bathurst 6 Hour website : http://bathurst6hour.com.au/event-info/entry-list

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Promo video (includes 2017 highlights) for the 2018 Bathurst 6 hour:
Australia's longest race for Production Cars, the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour brings a bumper field to the iconic Mount Panorama circuit in New South Wales each Easter. It's the ultimate showroom showdown, where the cars you can buy for the road take to the track in the best tradition of endurance racing on the Mountain.

The (international and domestic) live stream link is going to be: http://www.bathurst6hour.com.au/live

The stream will include all the support categories: Prod Sports, Formula Ford, Historic Touring Cars, and Hyundai X3 Excel Racing Series (the latter of which I have never seen mentioned before)

By the way it is held 30 March - 1 April (Easter long weekend)

@Mods, Maybe it is worth starting a specific thread for the event.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Hyundai Excels have been a popular entry-level category for a few years now. The idea of them "charging" around Mount Panorama is pretty funny tho. I believe Graeme Cox is Jordan's dad and quite a good driver himself. All 62 cars should start too, they had 64 start last year.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago Hyundai Excels have been a popular entry-level category for a few years now. The idea of them "charging" around Mount Panorama is pretty funny tho. I believe Graeme Cox is Jordan's dad and quite a good driver himself. All 62 cars should start too, they had 64 start last year.
Thanks thanks and thanks for those 3 answers.
I looked up Hyundai Excel Racing earlier and was surprised to read it is the fastest growing racing category in Aus right now... and they race a fair bit in Vic with a Vic Hyundai Racing club. It had gone completely under my radar! :blush:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Watching now the Pirelli World Challenge at COTA. Those GT4 series provide some good racing. This afternoon at the Nürburgring it was the same good racing.
Two FCY's in a short time though...
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a reminder that the 6 hour is on this weekend:

Action has already started, albeit this is from the Production Sports Car Support races. (Lol @ a Mosler being a Prod Sports)

Speedcafe wrote:Hayden Cooper has escaped a fire in the Mosler MT900 he’s sharing with Graham Lusty in the Production Sports support race at the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour.

The car caught fire in the opening practice session of the weekend, caused by an oil leak onto the exhaust.

Cooper was able to stop the car and climb free, before working with officials to put the flames out.

Though set to miss qualifying, which is scheduled for 14:50, the team does expect the car to make a return on Saturday.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/03/31/co ... st-6-hour/

Jordan Cox topped the final practice session. :thumbsup:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unfortunately Jordan Cox was unable to repeat the form in qualifying, when the BMW M3 of Tim Leahey (Shared with Beric Lynton) put in a particularly quick lap 2 secs faster than the 2nd place Sherrin Bros M4 BMW. Steven Johnson will start 3rd and the Jordan Cox car will start 4th.
Speedcafe wrote:A stunning lap from Tim Leahey has seen the BMW M3 driver dominate qualifying to take pole for the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour.

Leahey banked an incredible 2m 22.904s lap midway through the second half of the two-part qualifying session, an effort almost two seconds faster than the Sherrin brothers in second.

It will see Leahey and Beric Lynton line up at the head of an all-BMW front row, with Steven Johnson third.

Johnson though couldn’t get the Mercedes-AMG A45 within 1.4s of the front two, managing a best of 2m 26.254s for he and co-drivers Rob Woods and Marcel Zalloua.

Alongside them on the second row was Jordan Cox, Michael King, and Graeme Cox, who’d set the fastest time in final practice earlier in the day, in the Mitsubishi Evo just 0.006s off third.

Chaz Mostert was the leading Supercars regular in sixth place in the Ford Focus RS he’s sharing with Nathan Morcom.

Tim Slade will start 26th after qualifying, the Mitsubishi Evo breaking a piston in practice which saw the team fit a brand new engine in the break between sessions.

The only other Supercars regular in the field, Todd Hazelwood, will line up 22nd in the BMW 135i he’ll share with Scott Turner and Robert Rubis – the trio also the fastest B1 Class qualifier.

Heading A2 Class was Karl Begg and Justin Anthony in a Mercedes-Benz C63, setting the ninth best time overall.

In B2 Class the Holden VF Commdore of Joe Krinelos, Tony Virag, and Brett Howard set the pace, qualifying 14th outright, 20 grid places ahead of the next best car in class.

Class C pole went to the Keven Stoopman, Andrew Williams, and Gavin Ross’ Subaru Impreza, Class D to the Honda Integra of David Baker, Matthew Windsor, and Brian Callaghan, and Class E to Cem Yucel and Iain Salteri’s Nissan Pulsar.
Note to those overseas planning to watch the race.... Daylight saving ends in NSW and Vic tonight so the clocks here go back an hour prior to the race. Race starts at 11.30am local time. (UTC +10)

Also confirmation of Live Streaming details for overseas watchers.

LIVE STREAMING:
For our international viewers, the Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour race will be streamed live and free via www.bathurst6hour.com.au/live from 7:50am AET (UTC+10), including support categories.
Aussies wishing to follow the supports will have to follow on this live stream link www.bathurst6hour.com.au/live-aus The Foxtel coverage of the event is for the 6 Hour only and wont start until 11.15am AET.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Thanks for your information and link!!
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

2:22 is one hell of a lap, that's like three seconds faster then they went last year.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yep.... its the fastest ever Production category lap needless to say. Beric Lynton is a fairly handy back up driver too, so tomorrow's race looks good barring problems.
Leahey set a 2:24.117 in P1 yesterday to take that record originally, but todays lap smashed that time.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hyundai Excel one make race about to start in the Bathurst 6 hour supports! Never seen this category race before but it might be fun. (I anticipate a SC intervention.)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lol, they just described a field of 55 Excels as an Excelathon.
Yes we have a Safety Car already.

Edit: Make that a red flag!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

In the main event unfortunately we have the usual non starters.... in fact we have 6 non starters reducing the number of starters from 62 to 56.

Most noticeable of the 6 is the #42 BMW 135i of Todd Hazelwood (the promising V8 rookie) with an engine failure. In good form Beric Lynton's team tried to assist with parts and even another engine but all to no avail. They had set pole for their class prior to its demise.

Cars seemingly withdrawn.

#86 Pedders Racing Toyota 86 GTS
Engine failure in the second practice session has seen the Grant Phillips / Mark Pedder team head back to Victoria overnight.

#91 SCHOTT – Colder Refrigeration BMW M135i Hatch
The Rob Hay / Nicholas Cancian BMW had been a solid performer through practice but a substantial engine failure in practice three saw them out of contention yesterday.

#60 On track Motorsport BMW 1M
Shane Smollen and Tomas Muller had been quiet achievers of the weekend so far, however a crash for Muller exiting turn one in qualifying saw both the front and rear of the team’s new 1M badly damaged, forcing their withdrawal.

#42 On Track Motorsport BMW 135i
In a double blow for the On-Track Motorsport team, the Scott Turner, Rob Rubis and Todd Hazelwood car qualified on pole for B1 yesterday but would not go any further, the engine seizing at the end of the session.

Despite assistance from the Beric Lynton team in attempting an engine change, the team unfortunately withdrew from the race meaning last year’s Class C winners (Hazelwood and Rubis) won’t be able to aim for a class B win.

#21 Bestjet Racing HSV Commodore Clubsport R8
A challenging day for the A2 HSV of Iain McDougall and John Gibson from Luke Spalding Racing saw them fail to complete a full lap time in qualifying and as such were not classified.

#75 Bestjet Racing HSV Commodore GTS
The second Bestjet Racing / Luke Spalding Racing HSV of Michael James, David Filipetto and Murray Kent has had a horrible weekend with a litany of engine and driveline issues plaguing their campaign.

They were unable to bank a time in either of the first two practice sessions, just one timed lap (over three minutes long) in practice three and though they banked a lap in the 2m40s in qualifying the dramas have proved too much.