NASCAR 2019 - News and Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Doesn't it rain in Miami in March? They have a ATP/WTA tournament there right now and two days have been lost due to rain already. Doesn't bode well for Homestead's future at all. Looks like Martinsville is right before the All-Star Weekend & World 600? Sounds fishy for two places so close to each other?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago Just a shuffling of dates. :( Bulk of the schedule is still the same shitty intermediate tracks plagued by aero push.
They current track leases run out in 2021 (following the 2021 season) so no major changes will be possible until 2022.

I think those are the dates anyway, @DaleJuniorFan can perhaps confirm this, or correct me.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

John wrote: 5 years ago
SB83 wrote: 5 years ago Just a shuffling of dates. :( Bulk of the schedule is still the same shitty intermediate tracks plagued by aero push.
They current track leases run out in 2021 (following the 2021 season) so no major changes will be possible until 2022.

I think those are the dates anyway, @DaleJuniorFan can perhaps confirm this, or correct me.
I believe new tracks can't be added until 2021. So after next season.

One thing of note: the two-week break between the second Loudon and Michigan races was at the request of NBC so they could concentrate on Tokyo Olympic coverage. Interestingly, the off-weeks are conveniently positioned where the current Truck race at Eldora resides. Certainly by 2021, there'd be no better time and place for a Cup race on dirt.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yea, I know about the 2021 clause but was hoping for a miracle I guess. That somehow SMI and ISC would themselves realise how shit the racing is on their glorified aero proving grounds and switch to using the dirt tracks that accompany some of those tracks (Charlotte and Las Vegas for example). The race would still be on their property, just on the track they can actually race on instead.

What they've done now is a non-event for me. Having a race at the same shitty track but at a different time of the year is exciting why exactly? And having a plate race decide the cutoff for the playoffs? Might as well flip a coin instead. Sorry for sounding so negative but this sport is just killing itself since 2004 and I hate to see it.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Apart from the cringeworthy Boogity boogity boogity, he wasn't terribly shite but really hope they think hard over who they replace him with.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Actually i thought he was quite good. Great stories he could tell. Also i learned several things about Nascar through the years because of his and Larry McReynolds knowledge.

Maybe not a very accurate comparison. But you could compare him with what James Hunt was for the BBC F1 coverage.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

DW has meant a great deal for NASCAR for more than half of its history, it will be strange to not hear him. Yes, Boogity got old quickly, but he is one-of-a-kind. But I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him.
Last edited by Cheeveer 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I do think the main loss with Darrell retiring is his experience. He first raced at Daytona (in the lower tiers) back in the 60s and probably remembers listening to races on the radio in the 50s.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yea, his perspectives were very outdated and was frequently set right by Jeff Gordon in the booth about a lot of things. He did bring a fair bit of levity to the commentary which I'll miss somewhat.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Funnily enough I dont remember him from NASCAR much, beyond the boogity boogity, but remember this classic which I know has been posted here before but....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Here’s a little interesting stat, Michael McDowell is 1 last place finish away from passing Joe Nemechek for the most last place finishes in nascar cup series history, after tying him at Talladega on 33. Nemechek had 667 starts, and 4 wins in his cup series career, meanwhile McDowell has to date 295 starts, 0 wins, meaning he has finished last in little over 10% of his races he has competed in. However Nemechek had 40 DNQs, compared to McDowells 24, but it should be noted that Nemechek raced in a time where cars DNQing for races was common almost every week, while these days there is hardly any (nascar even struggle to make a 40 car field for most races). Nemechek also had better opportunities, racing for very competitive teams during the late 90s and early 2000s. While McDowells rides have been a little less competitive.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

In a few minutes the road course race at Sonoma starts. This race will be the last one with Darrel Waltrip in the Booth. Like him or not, i think he was great.

BOOGETY BOOGETY!!! for the last time..
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Matt DiBenedetto scores a career-high 4th place running Darrell Waltrip's 1974 throwback livery!

This is also ties Leavine Family's best ever finish (2x 4th at Daytona summer race 2017 & 2018).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Great result for DiBurrito. Tops his previous best of sixth at Bristol in 2016. I always hoped to see him in a really good Cup ride for a few races but guess he'll never get that chance.