Formula E 2018-2019 (Season five)

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on the current seasons of NASCAR, IndyCar, V8 Supercars, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, GP2, GP3 and other junior formulae, rallying and all other forms of motorsport.
User avatar
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 242
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Alice
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Formula E 2018-2019 (Season five)

Post by LaraCroft2016 » 9 months ago

Season five has already started in Saudi Arabia, now the batteries last the full race, the race is 45 minutes+1 lap, it looks short to me, and we have now something called attack mode.

Calendar:
1 Diriyah ePrix - Saudi Arabia - Riyadh Street Circuit - 15 December 2018
2 Marrakesh ePrix - Morocco - Circuit International Automobile Moulay El Hassan - 12 January 2019
3 Santiago ePrix - Chile - Parque O'Higgins Circuit - 26 January 2019
4 Mexico City ePrix - Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez - 16 February 2019
5 Hong Kong ePrix - Hong Kong - Hong Kong Central Harbourfront Circuit - 10 March 2019
6 Sanya ePrix - China - Sanya Street Circuit - 23 March 2019
7 Rome ePrix - Italy - Circuito Cittadino dell'EUR - 13 April 2019
8 Paris ePrix - France - Circuit des Invalides - 27 April 2019
9 Monaco ePrix - Monaco - Circuit de Monaco - 11 May 2019
10 Berlin ePrix - Germany - Tempelhof Airport Street Circuit - 25 May 2019
11 Bern ePrix - Switzerland - TBA - 22 June 2019
12 New York City ePrix Race 1 - Brooklyn Street Circuit - 13 July 2019
13 New York City ePrix Race 2 - 14 July 2019

Attack mode explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwoOFSfOug
Image

The first race was interesting, with some overtakes and battle for the lead, it seems Techeetah is very strong this season but it is still too early to see what is the car to beat.
Image
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3996
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 9 months ago

How much development is allowed in FE?
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 25810
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: 8 kms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 9 months ago

Is it just me or do the halos stick out like dogs balls on the new FE?

I watched a replay of the first race and tbh was not impressed. Never got to the bottom of all the penalties, and as for attack mode... WTF is all that about. I will get round to watching the clip of how it works, but if it needs a clip to explain it it is too busy is my initial comment. This track looked a bit wider, but still left a lot to be desired.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27946
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 9 months ago

@LaraCroft2016 thank you for starting the new thread.

Apart from the penalties I thought the first race was pretty good. From what the commentators were saying, the penalties stemmed from the lack of practice sessions which were cancelled due to heavy rain.

There were a few notable performances, the obvious being Vergne but also Massa was doing well until his penalty.

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 803
Joined: 13 years ago

Post by Michkov » 9 months ago

As Kals mentioned the penalties came from a lack of tuning because the practice was wet. Problem is that the cars are capable of delivering/recuperating more power than the regs allow, think of it as equivalent to a fuel flow limit. Why this is in FE is beyond me since the cars are limited by battery capacity anyway.

As for development, from the current issue of Racecar Engineering
...Yet while this chassis is the same for everyone, all the components rearwards of the battery are open for the manufacturers to develop. ‘One part of the car which we are mainly working on is the electric motor and inverter,’ says Chevaucher. ‘From Season 2, all the manufacturers have been developing their electric motors and it is difficult to imagine the kind of steps that we have made in terms of efficiency and weight saving. We are now so close to 100 per cent efficiency that it is difficult to make any more big improvements. However, we are now focusing on the range of efficiency of the motor and inverter so that this maximum efficiency can be used for most of the time. 'In previous years, some manufacturers were using gearboxes with several ratios which was due to the limited range of efficiency of the motors available at that time,' Chevaucher adds. 'Now, I think all the manufacturers are running single speed gearboxes thanks to the huge improvements in this electric technology.’...
As for the track it's probably the best FE raced on thus far. I liked the desert backdrop and all just a shame it has to be in Saudi Arabia. Feels a bit like Kyalami back in the 80s

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3996
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 9 months ago

Michkov wrote:
9 months ago
As Kals mentioned the penalties came from a lack of tuning because the practice was wet. Problem is that the cars are capable of delivering/recuperating more power than the regs allow, think of it as equivalent to a fuel flow limit. Why this is in FE is beyond me since the cars are limited by battery capacity anyway.

As for development, from the current issue of Racecar Engineering
...Yet while this chassis is the same for everyone, all the components rearwards of the battery are open for the manufacturers to develop. ‘One part of the car which we are mainly working on is the electric motor and inverter,’ says Chevaucher. ‘From Season 2, all the manufacturers have been developing their electric motors and it is difficult to imagine the kind of steps that we have made in terms of efficiency and weight saving. We are now so close to 100 per cent efficiency that it is difficult to make any more big improvements. However, we are now focusing on the range of efficiency of the motor and inverter so that this maximum efficiency can be used for most of the time. 'In previous years, some manufacturers were using gearboxes with several ratios which was due to the limited range of efficiency of the motors available at that time,' Chevaucher adds. 'Now, I think all the manufacturers are running single speed gearboxes thanks to the huge improvements in this electric technology.’...
As for the track it's probably the best FE raced on thus far. I liked the desert backdrop and all just a shame it has to be in Saudi Arabia. Feels a bit like Kyalami back in the 80s
Thanks very much.

If they opened it up more, while racing on better tracks, I'd probably more interested in it than F1.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 5589
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 9 months ago

I mean, can't they race anywhere besides street courses? I get the whole "getting close to where the crowd is to promote the sport and yadda yadda" but at this point FE feels big enough to move into proper racing circuits. Granted the tracks have to be pancake flat and all, but still.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3996
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 9 months ago

John wrote:
9 months ago
I mean, can't they race anywhere besides street courses? I get the whole "getting close to where the crowd is to promote the sport and yadda yadda" but at this point FE feels big enough to move into proper racing circuits. Granted the tracks have to be pancake flat and all, but still.
I can deal with "street circuits". They're fine in F1 and Indycar.

But not full blown A1GP-style Mickey Mouse street circuits.

These cars seem racey. Giving them longer straights should make for terrific racing.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 803
Joined: 13 years ago

Post by Michkov » 9 months ago

Speedwise they are F3 cars maybe a bit quicker in Gen2 form, so anything F3 races on they should be able to run. So bring on Pau, Macau and Brands Hatch. Especially the last one would be great since the cars wont eat into the noise budget for the full loop.

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27946
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 9 months ago

These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 803
Joined: 13 years ago

Post by Michkov » 9 months ago

See I wanted to say they ran Valencia at comparable times to F3 cars, but it turns they used the perimeter circuit with a chicane added for good measure, so that comparison fails. Next I remembered them wanting to use the full Monaco circuit but apparently that has been axed by Jean Todt. So point taken I guess.

User avatar
caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 13721
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Toni
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X
Location: Milan
Contact:

Post by caneparo » 9 months ago

kals wrote:
9 months ago
These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.
Probably a bicycle car would go at the same speed. Without the problem of where to dismiss the batteries
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27946
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 9 months ago

caneparo wrote:
9 months ago
kals wrote:
9 months ago
These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.
Probably a bicycle car would go at the same speed. Without the problem of where to dismiss the batteries
Unless it's a hybrid bicycle :whistling:

User avatar
caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 13721
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Toni
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X
Location: Milan
Contact:

Post by caneparo » 9 months ago

Bean gas driven?! :p
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 25810
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: 8 kms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 9 months ago

caneparo wrote:
9 months ago
Bean gas driven?! :p
Image

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Post Reply