2019 Aussie Supercars & Supports discussion | Season final @ Newcastle (22-24 Nov)

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

As an aside WAU have terminated their current sponsorship deal with Mega Fuels, who were last week placed in receivership.

The cars will be running increased signage from Mobil 1 for this weekend in Pukekoe, Mobil having agreed to take the place of Mega temporarily.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

SVG won today from Waters and Reynolds. Whincup got 2nd provisionally but he spun out Percat earlier on and was penalised.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Looks like T888 got the parity they wanted with all their / Holden aero gifts. Reading stories the commission were by passed and it was just approved.

Reynolds just bought out a red in qualy for the Sunday race when he planted it in the barriers with a few minutes to go.. Still looks like a T888 happy hour.

Top 10 under red flag: Whincup, Mostert, Van Gisbergen, McLaughlin, Davison, Holdsworth, Winterbottom, Hazelwood, De Pasquale and Heimgartner.
Less than 0.2 covering the top 4.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Green Flag..... Whincup stays in the garage. Scotty has a big spin but no contact.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Chequered flag on qualy.... this is how they finished.

Whincup, Davison, Mostert, Van Gisbergen, Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Percat, Coulthard, Winterbottom and Waters will progress to the Top 10 Shootout

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago Whincup got 2nd provisionally but he spun out Percat earlier on and was penalised.
I must admit the way it was handled by the stewards pisses me off.... JW fully accepted all blame and went straight up to Percat post race to apologise to him and the BJR team.

The incident was in the opening laps yet the Stewards could not make such an obvious decision of a penalty for well over an hour. It should have been an in race penalty served at the time it was that obvious to all and not one delayed until after the presentation, which in reality had the wrong drivers up on the podium. They (Supercars) are really losing the plot of late with the way they are handling certain matters.... namely parity and penalties.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think the top 10 shootout is at 13.40 NZ time (11.40am Aus Eastern time)

Race 24 Grid P11-P24:

Hazelwood, Slade, Heimgartner, De Pasquale, Golding, Stanaway, Pye, Courtney, Jones, Kelly, De Silvestro, Reynolds, Jacobson and Le Brocq.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Top 10 Shootout results. Pole for JW

Whincup, Holdsworth, Waters, Coulthard, McLaughlin, van Gisbergen, Mostert, Davison, Percat, and Winterbottom.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago They (Supercars) are really losing the plot of late with the way they are handling certain matters.... namely penalties.
Speaking of losing the plot that was one of the biggest fuckups I've ever seen today with the safety car. Totally screwed a bunch of people (Whincup, Holdsworth, Coulthard etc)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago They (Supercars) are really losing the plot of late with the way they are handling certain matters.... namely penalties.
Speaking of losing the plot that was one of the biggest fuckups I've ever seen today with the safety car. Totally screwed a bunch of people (Whincup, Holdsworth, Coulthard etc)
Yeah not seen the footage but read about it.....Of course they are claiming to have got it right. Seems like that Canadian GP from way back when.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cam Waters and Monster Energy drinks confirmed to continue at Tickford Ford for 2020/21/22
Cameron Waters has shown his faith in Tickford Racing by committing to a new “multi-year” contract that could see him complete a decade’s service with the team.

The 25-year old from Mildura in far north-west Victoria could have served out the option the team had on his services for 2020, but instead both parties agreed to scrap that and negotiate a new long-term agreement.

While neither Tickford nor Waters would confirm the details, it is understood to be up to four years, with at least one year of that an option – potentially tying him to the Ford squad through 2024.

The new deal was announced a week out from the Bathurst 1000 alongside a “multi-year” renewal by Monster Energy, Waters’ primary sponsor since he graduated full-time to the main game in 2016.
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/10/03/wa ... d-contract

Interesting that the article above seems to confirm the expected news that Mostert will move to WAU with Jack le Brocq replacing him at Tickford. Not yet official more than aa strong rumour. Also that Holdsworth is likely to be replaced at Tickford by Thomas Randle from Super 2.
Snaring Waters long-term is important for Tickford in terms of continuity as 2014 Bathurst winner Chaz Mostert is moving to Walkinshaw Andretti United, with Le Brocq replacing him.

The Bottle-O Mustang driver Lee Holdsworth’s future is also uncertain for 2020, with Tickford Super2 driver Thomas Randle his potential replacement.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Courtney confirmed in new Supercars Sydney team

Well, the much rumoured Sydney based new Supercars team has been confirmed, with James Courtney their lead driver.
It seems that Tekno will combine with the new team and expand to two cars (Tekno currently run one car). The team will use T888 built Commodores.
Second driver as yet confirmed but likely to be Richie Stanaway if the expected move of Boost Mobile sponsorship from GRM to the new team happens.
Sydney businessman and GT Racer Rod Salmon is underwriting the operation and is understood to be in the frame to purchase the second REC (Racing Entitlements Contract each car must have) One REC will come from Tekno. There are at least two available, from Tickford and T888 both having returned one when they respectively reduced their works cars for this year.

To be honest it is a bit of a half arsed team launch, with many of the details still to be announced... things like second driver, sponsors, let alone the team name all to be confirmed.

Full story here: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/09/co ... dney-team/

Of course Kelly Racing, currently running 4 x Nissan Altimas are the big unknown for next year with rumours suggesting they might ditch the Nissans and reduce to a two car team running outsourced Mustangs. As I say that is just rumour at this stage.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Good to see a new-ish team in the series. I think they'll work out their second driver once they obtain the second REC.

I think there's a pretty good chance that the Kellies will be abandoning the Nissans given how old those cars are, and also because there's probably going to be a new gen car coming in 2022 which means it's probably the right time to switch.

Matt Stone's team will also be needing to buy a REC next year because they've been leasing one for two seasons now which is the maximum period you're allowed to lease one for. There's rumours about the Kosteckis moving into the maingame but I think they'd need to expand a fair bit given they only have two full time staff ATM not counting the drivers. Charlie Schwerkolt was rumoured to be expanding to two cars but I'm not sure about that now given that was where Courtney was supposed to be heading.

There was also a rumour on the Supercars Trackside show today that Erebus might run a third car next year but that will be dependent on a rule change allowing teams to run different drivers in different sprint rounds. Apparently they're looking at running Will Brown and Broc Feeney, Broc being the 16 year-old winner of the third tier series this year.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The Kellies will be running two Mustangs next year, probably for Rick and Andre Heimgartner. Their other two entries have been sold to other teams, apparently Matt Stone and Team 18. They intend to continue running two of the Nissans in Super2.

GRM's sponsor demanded on the weekend that Supercars announce the introduction of some control front suspension parts for 2020 by this Friday (which is the deadline for entries for next season). As it happens those parts are already going to be introduced in 2022, and there are already some other control front suspension parts + other technical changes being mandated for next year anyway. The sponsor threatened to pull his sponsorship unless the changes were made and GRM has said they will have to withdraw from the series if they can't find another sponsor which is unlikely in the time frame.

If they do pull out it may not mean another reduction in the grid size however, since the new Sydney team still has to obtain another entry from somewhere and BJR are apparently going to be running a fourth car for Jack Smith.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/18/te ... econd-rec/

Schwerkolt's have confirmed they will be running another car next year.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago

GRM's sponsor demanded on the weekend that Supercars announce the introduction of some control front suspension parts for 2020 by this Friday (which is the deadline for entries for next season). As it happens those parts are already going to be introduced in 2022, and there are already some other control front suspension parts + other technical changes being mandated for next year anyway. The sponsor threatened to pull his sponsorship unless the changes were made and GRM has said they will have to withdraw from the series if they can't find another sponsor which is unlikely in the time frame.
GRM EXITS SUPERCARS :sorrow: :sorrow:

Supercars took a downhill dive as a category today with the news that GRM will exit Supercars at the end of the year over the Boost Mobile ultimatum to Supercars. Supercars had a couple of days ago declined to meet any ultimatums from Garry Rogers sponsor, and with such a short time frame, Garry asked for a deadline extension to give him a chance of obtaining the sponsorship that would allow him to continue. Supercars refused the request, leaving Garry no alternative but to pull the pin on his programme.

Supercars will be a worse place without GRM in its ranks. I have always liked the team, as I think most did. His antics and off track humour has always been a refreshing change forom the Roland Danes of this world.

Full story here, including a video posted on facebook with an emotional Garry Rogers delivering the news to the employees.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/18/gr ... cars-exit/

Garry has promised that he will continue to run in TCR and also the S5000 programme.