Indycar 2019 - News and Discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on the current seasons of NASCAR, IndyCar, V8 Supercars, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, GP2, GP3 and other junior formulae, rallying and all other forms of motorsport.
Post Reply
User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Re: Indycar 2019 - News and Discussion

Post by John » 2 months ago

Last post from previous page:

That is absolutely fantastic!
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

With the Steinbrenner Harding Racing team switching to Honda next year, the car count has swung in Honda's favour 15 to 11 for Chevy.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

Footage of Ericsson's first test:



I miss the old V8 turbos. Otherwise, great cars.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

Zachary Claman De Melo returning to Indy Lights.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

Indy Lights looking healthy as fuck with a solid body count of...4.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

John wrote:
2 months ago
Indy Lights looking healthy as fuck with a solid body count of...4.
The grid should grow compared to last year.

But if it tops 10 full timers, I'll be stunned.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/12/12 ... AR-in-2019

DragonSpeed entering IndyCar on a part-time basis in 2019, looking to go full-time in 2020.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

A lovely surprise! Good luck to them. And they're certainly picking the best races.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

From Autosport:
Cosworth has spoken to several manufacturers regarding a potential IndyCar engine programme.

The British engineering firm is currently investing heavily in a new American base after signing a long-term contract with the Fiat-Chrysler group as part of its expansion.

"During a tour of its Northamptonshire base earlier this year, Autosport was told that motorsport applications in America were on Cosworth's radar."

As reported by Autosport earlier this year, Cosworth has made it clear it would build an IndyCar engine if the right partner approached it.

Bruce Wood, Cosworth's managing director of powertrains, said that contact has now been made.

"We've spoken to two or three [manufacturers] over a period of a couple of years," Wood told Autosport.

"There is interest out there, definitely. "Right now, we're not close to translating it to the real world.

"[IndyCar is] untapped by car companies and I'm surprised more don't think 'OK it's not F1, it's not Le Mans, but the Indy 500 is quite close behind' and you can do it for a fraction.

"We've talked about IndyCar before because that for us always seems to be slightly over looked.

"Everyone is familiar with the costs of going to F1 and, in recent years, going to Le Mans. Those costs are extraordinary.

"Even the biggest car makers in the world have to think pretty hard about whether they can afford that.

"You can go into IndyCar for a fraction of that because it's a spec Dallara-built car, and the engine regulations are straightforward. There aren't works teams out there.

"For a manufacturer to get into IndyCar it's a lot cheaper and you can win the Indianapolis 500 and [Fernando] Alonso was over there trying to win it last year - it has a huge allure."
I've read on several other outlets during the year that if a third engine manufacturer commits to the series when the new engine is due in 2021, there's a good chance there'll be a second chassis manufacturer as well.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
Vassago
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 845
Joined: 15 years ago
Location: Poland

Post by Vassago » 2 months ago

John wrote:
2 months ago
Indy Lights looking healthy as fuck with a solid body count of...4.
I believe most of the potential owners realize that even a part-time IndyCar schedule gives them more than a full-time IL campaign now. If Andretti ever pulls out of IL that duck is dead.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 2 months ago

John wrote:
2 months ago
From Autosport:
Cosworth has spoken to several manufacturers regarding a potential IndyCar engine programme.

The British engineering firm is currently investing heavily in a new American base after signing a long-term contract with the Fiat-Chrysler group as part of its expansion.

"During a tour of its Northamptonshire base earlier this year, Autosport was told that motorsport applications in America were on Cosworth's radar."

As reported by Autosport earlier this year, Cosworth has made it clear it would build an IndyCar engine if the right partner approached it.

Bruce Wood, Cosworth's managing director of powertrains, said that contact has now been made.

"We've spoken to two or three [manufacturers] over a period of a couple of years," Wood told Autosport.

"There is interest out there, definitely. "Right now, we're not close to translating it to the real world.

"[IndyCar is] untapped by car companies and I'm surprised more don't think 'OK it's not F1, it's not Le Mans, but the Indy 500 is quite close behind' and you can do it for a fraction.

"We've talked about IndyCar before because that for us always seems to be slightly over looked.

"Everyone is familiar with the costs of going to F1 and, in recent years, going to Le Mans. Those costs are extraordinary.

"Even the biggest car makers in the world have to think pretty hard about whether they can afford that.

"You can go into IndyCar for a fraction of that because it's a spec Dallara-built car, and the engine regulations are straightforward. There aren't works teams out there.

"For a manufacturer to get into IndyCar it's a lot cheaper and you can win the Indianapolis 500 and [Fernando] Alonso was over there trying to win it last year - it has a huge allure."
I've read on several other outlets during the year that if a third engine manufacturer commits to the series when the new engine is due in 2021, there's a good chance there'll be a second chassis manufacturer as well.
So, errr, a Fiat-Chrysler brand, then?

I can't see a second chassis maker to be honest. Would love for it to happen, mind you.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

I'd love it as well, as long as Indy writes a ruleset stringent enough to allow for differences between the brands, with different performance traits, all the while dodging an aero war that's detrimental to the racing.

The new LMP2 regs have apparently been an inspiration to Indycar.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
Ian-S
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 9245
Joined: 11 years ago

Post by Ian-S » 2 months ago

Does Bernie still own Cosworth?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 months ago

Ian-S wrote:
2 months ago
Does Bernie still own Cosworth?
Forsythe and Kalkhoven according to Wikipedia.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 24470
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: 8 kms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 2 months ago

John wrote:
2 months ago
Ian-S wrote:
2 months ago
Does Bernie still own Cosworth?
Forsythe and Kalkhoven according to Wikipedia.
Did he ever own Cosworth?

Prior to Forsythe and Kalkoven it was Ford, and prior to that Vickers had bought it back in the late 80's. Prior to that they (Cosworth) had sold to United Engineering Industries, but Duckworth in that sale retained the position of President, and was a Board Member of UEI.... he was also involved in the technology side.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest