Indycar 2019 - News and Discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on the current seasons of NASCAR, IndyCar, V8 Supercars, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, GP2, GP3 and other junior formulae, rallying and all other forms of motorsport.
Post Reply
User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Indycar 2019 - News and Discussion

Post by MonteCristo » 5 months ago

2019 schedule:

March 10 — St. Petersburg, Fla.
March 24 — Circuit of The Americas, Austin, Texas
April 7 — Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Ala.
April 14 — Long Beach, Calif.
May 11 — Indianapolis GP
May 26 — Indianapolis 500
June 1-2 — Detroit GP, Belle Isle (doubleheader)
June 8 — Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth (Saturday night)
June 23 — Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
July 14 — Toronto, Ontario, Canada
July 20 — Iowa Speedway, Newton (Saturday night)
July 28 — Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
Aug. 18 — Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, Pa.
Aug. 24 — Gateway Motorsports Park, Madison, Ill. (Saturday night)
Sept. 1 — Portland International Raceway, Portland, Ore.
Sept. 22 — WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, Calif.

As expected: COTA added. Laguna Seca was already confirmed, with Sonoma dropping out. Phoenix also dropped. Otherwise the same.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27114
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 5 months ago

Good looking calendar that. Although would prefer Cleveland to be added and St Pete be dropped rather than Phoenix. I know a few aren’t a fan but I’m interested to see how Indycar races around Austin.

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 3465
Joined: 2 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 5 months ago

kals wrote:
5 months ago
Good looking calendar that. Although would prefer Cleveland to be added and St Pete be dropped rather than Phoenix. I know a few aren’t a fan but I’m interested to see how Indycar races around Austin.
Certainly not a bad schedule.

But I'd love to see: Cleveland, Michigan and Milwaukee return. Cut one of the Detroit races, and then cut either the Indy GP, or COTA (happy to give it a try but we'll see how it goes).
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 5 months ago

I'd like to see Richmond too, alongside Cleveland and Michigan. Quarter mile ovals are great.

No need to cut COTA or the Indy GP just yet, but one of the Belle Isle races desperately needs to go.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 5 months ago

Random snippets of news, 2019 related ones:

COTA looking at possible track modifications: https://racer.com/2018/09/04/cota-evalu ... r-indycar/

Bobby Rahal mentions a third engine manufacturer on the way in, Alfa Romeo or Kia: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/feat ... bby-rahal/
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 220
Joined: 11 years ago

Post by xavier28 » 5 months ago

does anyone know why the season end early in September or has it always been like this?

With such a large gap between season the part time audience member probably turns there attention to something else and doesnt watch again?
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 5 months ago

xavier28 wrote:
5 months ago
does anyone know why the season end early in September or has it always been like this?

With such a large gap between season the part time audience member probably turns there attention to something else and doesnt watch again?
They're scared of losing casual viewers to the NFL.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Posts: 11181
Joined: 10 years ago
Real Name: Tobias
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI
Location: home

Post by Antonov » 5 months ago

I count 17 races (15 + 2x Detroit).

I assume both races at Detroit count for full points?

Reminder me again please of how the points structure is in Indycar?

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 5 months ago

Antonov wrote:
5 months ago
I count 17 races (15 + 2x Detroit).

I assume both races at Detroit count for full points?

Reminder me again please of how the points structure is in Indycar?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=indycar+points+system
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27114
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 5 months ago

John wrote:
5 months ago
Antonov wrote:
5 months ago
I count 17 races (15 + 2x Detroit).

I assume both races at Detroit count for full points?

Reminder me again please of how the points structure is in Indycar?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=indycar+points+system
Or www.indycar.com

User avatar
Vassago
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 845
Joined: 15 years ago
Location: Poland

Post by Vassago » 5 months ago

John wrote:
5 months ago
xavier28 wrote:
5 months ago
does anyone know why the season end early in September or has it always been like this?

With such a large gap between season the part time audience member probably turns there attention to something else and doesnt watch again?
They're scared of losing casual viewers to the NFL.
Yes, even golf is scared of the NFL and they will change the PGA Tour structure to finish the season on the last weekend of August.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

User avatar
John
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 5 months ago

Vassago wrote:
5 months ago
John wrote:
5 months ago
xavier28 wrote:
5 months ago
does anyone know why the season end early in September or has it always been like this?

With such a large gap between season the part time audience member probably turns there attention to something else and doesnt watch again?
They're scared of losing casual viewers to the NFL.
Yes, even golf is scared of the NFL and they will change the PGA Tour structure to finish the season on the last weekend of August.
I can't but wondering if they're even fighting over the same fan-base though. The NFL is a behemoth but I do think that if IndyCar continues to grow and do the right things, get a few bigger names in, they'll be able to handle a few September or October dates.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

User avatar
Vassago
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 845
Joined: 15 years ago
Location: Poland

Post by Vassago » 5 months ago

John wrote:
5 months ago
Vassago wrote:
5 months ago
John wrote:
5 months ago
xavier28 wrote:
5 months ago
does anyone know why the season end early in September or has it always been like this?

With such a large gap between season the part time audience member probably turns there attention to something else and doesnt watch again?
They're scared of losing casual viewers to the NFL.
Yes, even golf is scared of the NFL and they will change the PGA Tour structure to finish the season on the last weekend of August.
I can't but wondering if they're even fighting over the same fan-base though. The NFL is a behemoth but I do think that if IndyCar continues to grow and do the right things, get a few bigger names in, they'll be able to handle a few September or October dates.
CBS & FOX overruns with golf and NFL on Sunday evenings. Most NFL games are held at 1pm/4 pm which directly battles golf coverage. There's only one night game on Sunday which is on national TV so they won't change the NFL schedule to put all these games at 8 pm Eastern/11 pm Pacific every Sunday.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

User avatar
Ian-S
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 9245
Joined: 11 years ago

Post by Ian-S » 5 months ago

I think it's more to do with the converted 18-30 TV viewership figures and resulting advertising revenue that comes with that than anything else, everything is built around the stone age Nielsen System which is just one big guesstimate, it's not in the slightest bit accurate but still literally everybody (including the likes of the BBC) put a lot of stock in their figures.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 27114
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 5 months ago


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests