NASCAR 2018 - News & Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well first off, he'll have to progress up the license ladder in NASCAR, which means doing races now, before the end of this season, then he will have to finish a lower series event on a super speedway, which means either the Friday night truck race before the 500, or the ARCA race the week before.

Nobody gets to skip this, even Danica had to do it and she was like a promotional gift horse given to NASCAR. Unlike Indycar, you can't just rock up, do 20 clean laps, and be granted a license, NASCAR has a rather strict licence system which up until last year, was far stricter than anything Indycar or F1 offered, which for a series born from rednecks wanting to transport booze from one side of the country to the other, is quiet surprising.

So erm, nope, when he gets told about this, along with having only two slots and having to do it on time alone, he decide against it, too much hassle for something he probably wouldn't even qualify for in a Levine Family park n start car (because nobody will give him a decent seat for a one off event).

This is just another one of those non-stories born from the necessity of someone having to fill a column and a lot of assumptions made because someone said "that's interesting", but of course it'll be breaking news on BBC and Sky next week as a result.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just another never say never when you are an almost unemployed racing driver with 'options'. Spin the hype exercise.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Media: "Hey Fernando, what do you think about racing in [INSERT RANDOM SERIES HERE]?"
Alonso: "Yes, it would be interesting"
Random Series: "Please come join us, you're always welcome"
Media: "Alonso says he'd consider racing [INSERT RANDOM SERIES HERE]"
Fans: "OMG ALONSO IS GOING TO TRY [INSERT RANDOM SERIES HERE]"

Alonso's name is now being used not only for self-promotion purposes but also to increase the attractiveness of every other global series. He's being pimped out. I'm so bored of his / this shit. Enough of the faux foreplay. Next we'll see him being linked to joining this...
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Media: "Hey Fernando, what do you think about racing in [INSERT RANDOM SERIES HERE]?"

Alonso's name is now being used not only for self-promotion purposes but also to increase the attractiveness of every other global series. He's being pimped out. I'm so bored of his / this shit. Enough of the faux foreplay. Next we'll see him being linked to joining this...
It's not that far fetched, he tested the series back in 2015.

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

and he owns an apartment in Dubai.

it would certainly add a new dimension to the 'Camel Trophy'
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

kals wrote: 5 years ago Media: "Hey Fernando, what do you think about racing in [INSERT RANDOM SERIES HERE]?"

He will never go for it.... drivers are optional and more likely to be robots....
Since child riders were outlawed in 2002, small robots are now frequently used instead of humans in a move towards a "more humane" form of racing.
The robots -- weighing no more than 4kg -- possess a walkie-talkie speaker enabling owners to deliver commands to the camels during the race, as well a small automatic whip operated by a remote control.
A fleet of cars drives alongside the camels as the race unfolds enabling owners to dictate the speed of the robot's whip.
:whistling: Its the future.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Well first off, he'll have to progress up the license ladder in NASCAR, which means doing races now, before the end of this season, then he will have to finish a lower series event on a super speedway, which means either the Friday night truck race before the 500, or the ARCA race the week before.

Nobody gets to skip this, even Danica had to do it and she was like a promotional gift horse given to NASCAR. Unlike Indycar, you can't just rock up, do 20 clean laps, and be granted a license, NASCAR has a rather strict licence system which up until last year, was far stricter than anything Indycar or F1 offered, which for a series born from rednecks wanting to transport booze from one side of the country to the other, is quiet surprising.

So erm, nope, when he gets told about this, along with having only two slots and having to do it on time alone, he decide against it, too much hassle for something he probably wouldn't even qualify for in a Levine Family park n start car (because nobody will give him a decent seat for a one off event).

This is just another one of those non-stories born from the necessity of someone having to fill a column and a lot of assumptions made because someone said "that's interesting", but of course it'll be breaking news on BBC and Sky next week as a result.
Has that process ever been clearly laid out though? Or like most of NASCAR's 'rules', it's written in invisible ink. The only criteria I was sure about is he has to do atleast one ARCA race at a superspeedway before he can run Daytona.

I know Montoya, Ambrose and Danica worked their way up the ladder but they were actually planning on a career in the top level, so it was in their own best interest to work their way up but I think for having someone of Alonso's stature in the Daytona 500, they will just tell him to run the ARCA deathmatch before it.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I think it's a set in stone invisible ink rule.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Im getting a bit bored with rules being re-written around Alonso. Yes, I know it is great publicity for Motor Sport in general, but there comes a point where the novelty wears off. We have historically had the WEC calendar written around his schedule.... all getting boring.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Did anyone see the Las Vegas NASCAR race? I thought it was better than the F1 race in Singapore.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Did not even cross my mind. Not even slightly.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Didn't watch. Can barely be bothered anymore.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Watched the last 15 laps or so since it ran long and was on my usual Indycar stream. Not impressed by the race directory
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It was, for a NASCAR race on a cookie cutter, fairly entertaining and probably more entertaining (crash-wise) than every other race that day combined, but this was mainly because they had never raced there at this time of year on this track and they all lost their shit over it, normal service will resume this week at Richmond though.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

what is the best sort of oval for NASCAR?

as far as I understand "cookie-cutters" are associated with bad. They are like Vegas, Kansas, Chicago, California?
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago what is the best sort of oval for NASCAR?
Something like Martinsville, where aero is virtually a non-factor and it's all about barging past your opponents with a lot of casual (and sometimes not so casual :twisted: ) fender banging.