2017 Bathurst 1000

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2017 Bathurst 1000

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SUPERCHEAP AUTOS BATHURST 1000

5-8 October, 2017

A big enough race, one watched and followed live by many here, to warrant it's own thread. And it is only a week away.

BATHURST & MOTOR RACING
Bathurst has had a long association with motor racing, for both cars and motorcycles.

Motorcycle racing is generally believed to have started in Bathurst around 1911 on the roads in the Kelso/Sunny Corner area. Today, the Long Track is a highly popular inclusion on the Motorcycling Australia calendar as is the new Supermotard competition. Panorama Motorcycle Club runs the motocross track at the top of Mount Panorama, with regular club meets.

Speedway style racing commenced in 1931 on what was known as the Vale Circuit. This continued until 1937, when the newly-built circuit at Mount Panorama was completed. The first race was held there in March 1938.

Mount Panorama has hosted various Australian Grand Prix, for both motor-cycles and open four-wheelers and, since October 1963, has been both the spiritual and physical home of touring car racing in this country.

Today, the City of Bathurst is virtually synonymous with motor racing, known throughout the world because of its challenging and picturesque motor racing circuit.

THE CIRCUIT

Originally constructed in 1938 as a scenic tourist drive, Mount Panorama has hosted all types of motorsport including the world famous Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, the annual 12 Hour GT race, 24 Hour endurance races and the Easter motorcycle meetings.

The circuit is public road on non-race weekends and has also hosted the Australian Grand Prix in the past. It remains one of the all-time favourite circuits of V8 Supercar drivers and is ranked among the great race tracks of the world.

Circuit Overview

Length: 6.21 kilometres
Direction: Anti-Clockwise
Maximum speed: 300km/h
Fastest Point: Conrod Straight
Average Speed: 178km/h

Race history

The race has a long and colourful history, having been conducted for numerous categories such as production cars, Group C, Group A, Super Touring and currently the popular V8 Supercar category.

Although the Bathurst 1000 is today run by just two marques, Ford and Holden, makes as diverse as Mini, Jaguar, BMW, Nissan and Volvo have also tasted success at "The Mountain". Holden has the most victories at Bathurst with 25 wins, while Ford has 16 (or 17 if including the victory from the 1962 Phillip Island event).

Mount Panorama at Bathurst is 210 kilometres west of Sydney and is the focal point of Australian Motor Racing. The six kilometre anti clockwise track is normally a public road and was first used in 1938, with Easter Sunday motorcycle racing. However, World War II intervened, and racing didn't resume until 1947, with the Australian Grand Prix. Further Grand Prix meetings were held in 1952 and 1954. However, the feature event of the Mount Panorama circuit is the Bathurst 1000, held in October each year for touring cars and the track has undergone many changes in the interest of safety over the years.

The Great Race was first held in 1960 at Phillip Island as the Armstrong 500. The race was originally over 130 laps or 500 miles and was originally conceived as the ultimate endurance test of production cars. The early races were separated into classes according to buying price, that way the public knew what their buying dollar would bring in terms of performance and reliability. Bob Jane and Harry Firth were the stars of the early races winning in a Falcon and Mercedes.

The race moved to Mt Panorama in 1963 after the track at Phillip Island, in Victoria, needed resurfacing after the 1962 race. The original line of thought was that Bathurst was made for small cars because the big V8s struggled due to excessive wear of tyres and brakes. But the Mini Cooper S victory in 1966 was in fact the last time a normally aspirated 4 cylinder car has taken outright honours at Bathurst.

The following year a V8 finally won, the XR Falcon GT of Firth and Fred Gibson. Holden scored its first win the next year in a Monaro and in 1969 as well. Allan Moffat then dominated the race in 1970 and 1971 to create the Falcon GTHO legend.

Holden had by this stage dropped the V8 from its racing program to race a light weight car powered by a six cylinder, triple carburetted engine, the LJ Torana XU-1. Peter Brock won in 1972 thanks to its superior fuel economy and handling in the wet conditions.

Bathurst was now seen as the most important race to car companies with the catch phrase being, "Win On Sunday, Sell On Monday". With that in mind the Big Three (Ford, Holden & Chrysler) set about making Bathurst specials, race cars to be sold as road cars. Ford had the Phase Four Falcon GTHO, Holden the XU-2 (a V8 powered LJ Torana) and Chrysler had the Charger V8. An article about these developing Supercars saw the government ban such projects and these Supercars became stillborn.

In 1973 the race changed to 163 laps or 1000 kilometres, hence the name. Meanwhile Brock looked set to win again in 1973 until his car ran out of fuel to allow Moffat to win in a XA Falcon GT. The return of the Holden V8 to racing saw wins in 1975 and 1976. Moffat then engineered the classic Ford 1-2 victory in 1977 but after Brock returned to the Holden Dealer Team he won from 1978 - 1984, the exception being in 1981when Dick Johnson won a shortened race (120 laps). The race was stopped after Bob Morris and Christine Gibson in XD Falcons collided at McPhillamy Park to cause a multiple pile up. After the 1981 race the track was widened at McPhillamy Park to allow crashed cars to leave the race track.

A Dick Johnson crash in qualifying, when his car went through the trees at Forrest Elbow in 1983, prompted safety fences to be installed all the way around the circuit and the pit entrance moved from Pit Straight to the end of Conrod Straight.

By the end of 1984 the Bathurst race was no longer a production car race, the cars were looking more like sport sedans, so a change was needed to renew public interest. The advent of Group A in 1985 saw the demise of the Ford Falcon, Nissan Bluebird, Mazda RX7 and the Chevrolet Camaro replaced with Jaguars, BMWs and Volvo Turbos. The BMW, despite winning the Australian Touring Car Championship, ran second to the Tom Walkinshaw Jaguars in 1985.

Allan Grice returned the Commodore to the winners list in 1986. A fatal race accident on Conrod Straight in the 1986 race, when Mike Burgmann struck the Bridgestone bridge, added the Caltex Chase to the circuit, to not limit the speed down Conrod Straight but to reduce the length of time cars travelled at high speed. The subsequent addition of the chase reduced the number of laps. The Bathurst 1000 now comprises 161 laps, in all more than 6 hours of fast and furious motor racing.

The Ford Sierra Turbo arrived in 1987 to win the race (later disqualified) but despite being the fastest car at that time it was also unreliable. Turbos were a lap to lap proposition, but despite the high attrition rate of Sierra race cars they won in 1988 and 1989. In 1990 a Commodore won due to all the leading Sierras breaking down.

By 1991 Nissan had fully developed the ultimate Group A race car, the twin turbo six cylinder 4WD Nissan GT-R. Nissan won twice, in 1991 and in 1992 when torrential rain lashed the circuit and caused chaos as cars on slick tyres spun off the circuit at an alarming rate. The race was red flagged after the 143rd lap only for the sun to reappear within ten minutes! But their dominance caused a change in the rules again.

A return to the old Holden - Ford V8 war was hoped to renew interest in touring car racing. By 1993 turbos were no more and Larry Perkins became a hero by beating former Nissan drivers, Jim Richards and Mark Skaife. In 1994 Johnson and John Bowe won the race in a Falcon over a 20 year old rookie, Craig Lowndes, and in 1995 Perkins reaffirmed his hero status when he drove from last place to win.

The 1996 race commenced in a downpour, but 22 year old Craig Lowndes and 24 year old Greg Murphy dominated, becoming the youngest drivers to win, and Lowndes became only the second driver, after Peter Brock, to win the Touring Car Championship, Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000 in the same year, all in his rookie year.

But this is part of what makes the Bathurst 1000 remain one of Australia's most popular motor races, bringing tens-of-thousands of visitors to the city of Bathurst for the October long weekend.

PREVIOUS NAMES OF 'THE GREAT RACE'

The race has changed names several times over the years to reflect naming rights sponsorship, and the change in race distance from 500 miles to 1000 kilometres (approx. 621 miles).

* Armstrong 500 (1963-1965)
* Gallaher 500 (1966-1967)
* Hardie Ferodo 500 (1968-1972)
* Hardie Ferodo 1000 (1973-1980)
* James Hardie 1000 (1981-1987)
* Tooheys 1000 (1988-1995)
* AMP Bathurst 1000 (1996-1998)
* Primus 1000 Classic (1997*)
* FAI 1000 Classic (1998*-2000)
* V8 Supercar 1000 (2001)
* Bob Jane T-Marts 1000 (2002-2004)
* Supercheap Auto 1000 (2005-present)

Famous winners

The most successful driver at Bathurst is the late Peter Brock, whose nine victories (1972, 1975, 1978-80, 1982-84 and 1987) earned him the nickname King of the Mountain.

Jim Richards has won the race seven times (1978-80, 1991-92, 1998 and 2002) and also holds the record for the most starts (35) at this event. Larry Perkins is the third most successful driver at Bathurst, with six victories (1982-84, 1993, 1995 and 1997). Both Richards and Perkins have shared some of their victories as co-drivers with Brock.

Canadian-born Allan Moffat is considered by many to be Ford's greatest Bathurst driver, winning the race four times (1970, 1971, 1973 and 1977). The 1977 race saw Moffat and team-mate Colin Bond cross the finish line side by side after opening up an indomitable lead in the early laps.

Mark Skaife has won six times, his first was in 1991, with a Nissan Skyline GT-R. He also won in 1992 in the same car, and in 2001,2002 and 2005 in a Holden Commodore. Final win was with Craig Lowndes in 2010

Craig Lowndes has won 6 '1000's.

Dick Johnson first rose to fame during the 1980 race when his privately-entered Ford Falcon hit a rock that had fallen (or been pushed; the subject is still debated to this day) onto the track. Thanks to public donations of over AU$70,000 - and a matching donation from Ford Motor Company - Johnson was able to rebuild his car and win the Bathurst race the following year. He went on to win twice more, in 1989 and 1994.

Kiwi born Greg Murphy has won 4 times

The Prize - The Peter Brock Trophy.

Craig and Jamie, proud winners of the inaugural Peter Brock Trophy.... seems a long time ago now.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

I've always liked Mount Panorama as a venue, I have watched the race a few times over the years, sadly not now I am living stateside, the only V8s here is NASCAR, which I find super dull, left, left, left!

I would love to see F1 there, although the tight and twisty nature flies in the face of the current F1 direction.
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

myownalias wrote: 6 years ago I've always liked Mount Panorama as a venue, I have watched the race a few times over the years, sadly not now I am living stateside, the only V8s here is NASCAR, which I find super dull, left, left, left!

I would love to see F1 there, although the tight and twisty nature flies in the face of the current F1 direction.
I am sure that it is shown live these days Stateside, or it was on what I think is called Speed TV. Maybe that is no longer the case but back a few years they sent commentators (Darryl Waltrip and AN Other). Waltrip was quite amusing when taken for a ride around the track in a V8 Supercar. Of course back then the V8SC cars ran a race at CotA in Austin.... maybe the dropping of that race has altered its status over there.
The video of Waltrip at Mt Panorama.

As for F1 at Bathurst of course it did happen many moons ago when the Australian Grand Prix was even held there (long before it ever became a Championship event)... the closest to that these days is when Jenson Button did a Vodafone demo in his McLaren F1, breaking the outright track record in the process.

Over the years racing ‘royalty’ has competed with a list of who’s who including Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss, Johnny Rutherford, Jacky Ickx (1977 winner), Denny Hulme, Armin Hahne (1985 winner), Rauno Aaltonen (1966 winner), Janet Guthrie, Dieter Quester, Johnny Cecotto, Roberto Ravaglia, Gianfranco Brancatelli, Roland Ratzenberger, Emanuele Pirro, Klaus Niedzwiedz, Klaus Ludwig, Henri Pescarolo, Derek Bell, John Fitzpatrick, Satoru Nakajima and many, many others from International Touring Car Categories world wide.

And then there was German royalty. His Royal Highness Prince Leopold Von Bayern of Bavaria and of course he drove a BMW.
During the days of the Group A formula Prince Leopold was enticed to Bathurst to race in the 1000km race in 1984.

He was sided with the 1967 F1 World Champion Denny Hulme in Frank Gardner’s JPS Team BMW 635CSi.
The pair managed to finish 15th, second in class but four laps behind the class-winning TWR Rover. But not after the Prince destroyed the car in practice when he arrived at the Dipper thinking it was a fast corner...... went in so hard that he also destroyed TV cameras the other side of a concrete barrier.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

HSV (Walkinshaw) are continuing at Bathurst with their retro livery seen at last weeks Sandown 500.

In other peripheral news Roger Penske, who had planned to be at Bathurst hoping to see the Penske name engraved on another world major event trophy, will not be attending as he has a prior commitment at the Petit Le Mans race the same weekend. He will instead be in Australia for the November 24-26 Newcastle 500, hoping to witness DJRTP winning the Supercars drivers’ and teams’ titles, and then perhaps staying for the Supercars Gala Awards in Sydney.

Penske’s right hand man Bud Denker, whose duties include running the Penske-promoted Detroit IndyCar Grand Prix, and Team Penske commercial guru Jonathan Gibson will still make the trip.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

You know it's a long time ago when you see a photo with Glenn Seton in it!

Great livery that, too.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

V8's are shown on FS1 in the states iirc

As for us, we may not have any coverage at all for the first time in about a decade, until a few weeks ago nobody held the rights for VASC, then freesports showed Sandown live without any warning, but have't said anything about Bathurst, the only problem with freesport is that it's SD and their picture quality is so bad it's like looking through smoked glass lol plus I need to jerryrig a dish onto the balcony everytime I want to watch so I may just settle for the usual internet stream.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

Thanks @Ian-S,

I will search on Playstation VUE (cable TV is too expensive) for it and add to my virtual DVR if I can find it!
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I dunno why but it's virtually impossible to find a programming guide for American channels online :lol:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

As always I am looking forward to this one and will be watching a lot of the event.

One thing that hasn't been pointed out is that next year there should be one of the new twin-turbo V6 Commodores in the field, which will mean that this year's edition will possibly be the last ever one with only V8s. I guess it's appropriate and kind of symbolic since Holden will build the last ever car (for the mass market anyway) in Australia in two' weeks time, and they, Ford and Chrysler were the reason why the V8s got etched into the culture of the race in the first place.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

How many V6's will there be full-time next year?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

None, only a single part-time entry at some events, although a few of the Holden teams will be running the new bodywork with the current V8 engines.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Okay, I see. So V6's as "standard" in Supercars is still a few years in the future?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Cheeveer wrote: 6 years ago Okay, I see. So V6's as "standard" in Supercars is still a few years in the future?
It'll be standard for Holden in 2019. Nobody knows what anybody else (if there is an anybody else!) will be doing beyond next season for certain. Ford stopped their official support a couple of years back, so if they give permission and the two Ford teams don't get manufacturer money from elsewhere then I'd imagine they'll keep developing their current engines while having a new Mondeo or Mustang bodywork. Nissan hasn't confirmed they'll be continuing past 2018, and considering they haven't had that much success I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't continue or went to a better team then the Kellies. Most likely if they did continue they'd go to a V6 though.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Spotters Guide and Race Guide / Preview

WEATHER FORECAST

It wouldn’t be Bathurst without Mother Nature wanting to play a hand in shaping the weekend, and 2017 appears to be no different.

The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting a 50 percent chance of precipitation during qualifying on Friday, shifting to 60 percent for race day.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I was thinking I might have to miss the Bathurst 1000 for lack of TV coverage over here in Spain.... but Mum now get MotorsTV as a Free to Air channel on her UK prog satellite. A quick look at the motorstv guide for the weekend shows it is being shown live from start (2.00am in Spain) to finish. So anyone in the UK should be able to watch it on FTA as well.