Billy Monger

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Billy Monger

Post by DoubleFart »

Billy Mongers crash in F4 was one of the most unpleasant onboard images I have ever seen. I really hope he's ok, his legs are certainly going to rival Mr Herbert.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

DoubleFart wrote:Billy Mongers crash in F4 was one of the most unpleasant onboard images I have ever seen. I really hope he's ok, his legs are certainly going to rival Mr Herbert.
What happened?

All I can find is that he was airlifted to the Queen's Medical Centre, which is coincidentally at the end of my street.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Just search google / youtube. The footage is out there and on many news sites. He hit a stationary car at around 120mph. The live TV broadcast happened to be from his onboard camera at the time.

A sickening accident and like DF mentions, his legs are the concern.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Very concerning, especially going right into the back with the engine and gearbox, which are obviously heavy, solid and pretty immovable. Fingers crossed it's a case of him simply having to take time off to heal before getting back on track.

Also worrying to see that he didn't have time to take his hand off the steering wheel, especially as it was broken off during the impact.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah I get the feeling his list of injuries is going to be a long one, also looks like he got hit on the head by his own wheel, to add insult to injury.

He's a local lad, at most a couple of roads between us (although a couple of miles as the crow flies - long country lanes), so maybe the local paper might have some info on Thursday.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Dreadful crash. Hoping for the best in his recoveries, but seemingly little in the way of condition updates beyond serious injuries.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Well i hold out little hope of good news, as the impact has lifted the visor up, so the helmet gas been struck, and the statement noted the other driver was concious, but made no note of the state of consciousness of Monger.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Ouch. That's awful.

Touches of Paul Dana, though at slower speed.

Fingers crossed for good news.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote:Well i hold out little hope of good news, as the impact has lifted the visor up, so the helmet gas been struck, and the statement noted the other driver was concious, but made no note of the state of consciousness of Monger.
Reports I read said he was conscious and indeed talking with his rescuers during the extraction...... doesnt say whether he was talking constructively or just "Ahhh that fucking hurts." But any communication is good, right?
Billy Monger was unsighted when he made heavy contact with the rear of a slowing Patrik Pasma in a Carlin entry at the Schwartz curve, during Race 3 of the weekend at the Leicestershire circuit.
Monger was conscious and talking after the incident which stopped the race.
Medics took nearly two hours to extricate the 17-year-old from the car before being airlifted to hospital.
Pasma escaped serious injury but was also taken to hospital by road for check ups where he remained on Sunday night.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Like Chris I have the icky feeling the medical crews were presented with another Smiler type situation whereby the damaged cars, although trapping the occupants inside, was also the only thing keeping them alive short term.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

What was the reason Patrik Pasma was stationary on the circuit? Had he spun or had a technical fault? It all happened so quickly yet I noticed that were no flags warning the drivers. None of that is to suggest inadequate marshalling or fault with Pasma, just trying to understand the facts.

Here's hoping for Billy's recovery.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

He had spun (ran wide at Old Hairpin and spun back onto track and stalled literally seconds before the pack arrived). We were talking about this yesterday, the drawback of having huge runoffs is the marshals are a long way from the track and it can make it difficult to see the flags.

The other problem, especially at that particular section of Donington, is iirc the flag posts are positioned basically on the apex of the old hairpin on the outside and then the next isn't until after Starkies where the service road comes in, so by the time the yellows would have come out thry would have been past the post and totally unaware of what was happening ahead.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

There's been a fund started for him - in it, they confirm that he has lost both of his lower legs.

Just... ugh.

EDIT: Link, for those wondering: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/billymonger23
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I hope that somebody can put him in touch with Alex Zanardi.