WRC 2017

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Bottom post of the previous page:

He is a bit like WRC's own Maldonado, only more successful.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Scorpion
Favourite Motorsport: Formula E
Favourite Racing Car: -
Favourite Driver: So many of them
Favourite Circuit: Classic ones
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Polo 6N

Post by Scorpion »

Mawerick wrote:He is a bit like WRC's own Maldonado, only more successful.
Maldonado of WRC is well known Kubicrash ;)
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Jules Bianchi... won't ever forget you my friends
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Who crashed more, Kubica or Raikkonen? I'd say it was pretty even stevens.
Scorpion
Favourite Motorsport: Formula E
Favourite Racing Car: -
Favourite Driver: So many of them
Favourite Circuit: Classic ones
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Polo 6N

Post by Scorpion »

Kubica never agreed that crash was his fault, searchin' everywhere else reason beside himself... remember well how he blamed for example M-Sport.
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Jules Bianchi... won't ever forget you my friends
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I don't think Rally Sweden shows where Toyota stands in terms of the championship, but it does show where Latvala stands on snow rallies! It was his experience that ensured this win, and Neuville's brainfadedness. Hyundai looks stronger overall.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Agreed.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

What it also shows is how far behind the competition that Citroen are. The car is unpredictable, unstable and down on power. Unusual when you consider Citroen's history and expertise. Kris Meeke is unhappy and is no doubt questioning the decision to turn down Toyota for the Citroen role.

I reckon Ogier will somewhat cruise to the title this year.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Latvala goes back to being Latvala

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Rally Mexico is under way, with two street special stages completed. Toyota at the top of the time sheets, but not with Jari-Matti.

Times after stage 2:

Rally Mexico – End of Stage 2
Pos No. Driver Car Time/Gap
1. 11 Juho Hanninen Toyota, 3:37.2
2. 2 Ott Tanak Ford, +0:01.6
3. 7 Kris Meeke Citroen, +0:01.6
4. 5 Thierry Neuville Hyundai, +0:02.6
5. 4 Hayden Paddon Hyundai, +0:03.2
6. 1 Sebestien Ogier Ford, +0:04.0
7. 6 Dani Sordo Hyundai, +0:06.0
8. 10 Jari-Matti Latvala Toyota, +0:06.2
9. 30 Pontus Tidemand Skoda, +0:06.7
10. 37 Lorenzo Bertelli Ford, +0:10.3

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Meeke in the Citroen leads heading into the final day. So 3 rallies, 3 makes of car seems to have the upper hand. With Mexico the first "normal" rally on the calendar, got to say the Citroen doesn't seem as bad as we first feared.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Going back to earlier in the event, why the hell do they have a Rally Base set up and then choose a stage which requires the cars to be transported several hours by truck and the personnel all flown to the stage for it to run?

In this years event all the crews were waiting around for the cars to arrive..... which they finally did, after being stopped still in traffic for several hours.... and not until after the stage was long due to be finished. No alternative but to cancel a stage (which should never have been organised anyway). So the cars and personnel all had to then head back to the Rally Base to continue a by then shortened event. More cancelled stages due to the delays.

I can understand the objective of 'bringing the rally to the people', but the opportunities for the event to fall off the rails is too great, even when those situations are beyond the organisers control, as was the case here. Ultimately no one got to see any action on the subsequently cancelled stages.

Keep It Simple Stupid seems to be the message, loud and clear..

Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

:twothumbs: :flag:
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

:haha: :haha:

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Amazing. Meeke really is McRae reincarnated.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Chris Meeks Gymkhana?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The Kiwi pairing of Haydon Paddon and John Kennard, a relationship that has seen Kennard co driving for Padden for the last twelve years, is to formally split after the Rally of Finland in July. Apparently it is no surprise to Paddon or Hyundai, with Kennard always considering stepping down from his role. No doubt the increases in speed has had some influence in his decision, not to mention the number of crashes Paddon has been making a habit of.

No replacement has been named as yet, but news will be forthcoming shortly. I'm sure Kennard is looking at his age (55) in the making of his decision, as he is no spring chicken... and also having been involved in Rallying since 1979, when he started as a driver. His first WRC role as a co-driver was in 1988, as co driver for Malcomn Wilson! He has since had a long and distinguished career with the notes.

It will be interesting to see how Paddon goes with the loss of the co driver he has enjoyed since the start of his career, and the need to form a new partnership.
World Rally Championship star Hayden Paddon will team up with a new co-driver later this year following the announcement that John Kennard will step down from the role.
Kennard has partnered Paddon during a 12-year period that has seen the pair rise up the ranks to rallying’s top tier.
The experienced co-driver has confirmed his last WRC rally alongside Paddon in the factory Hyundai i20 will be Rally Finland in July.
Paddon’s new co-driver will be announced in the coming days.
The pair became the first New Zealanders to claim a world rally title by winning the 2011 Production World Rally Championship.
Paddon and Kennard went on to win a full WRC event in Argentina last year.
Kennard competed in New Zealand as a driver back in the late ‘70s, but moved to the co-driver’s seat in 1985, claiming his first WRC podium alongside Kiwi driver Malcolm Stewart at Rally New Zealand in 1988.
He also worked for WRC teams, firstly as team co-ordinator for Mitsubishi Japan, a similar role with Prodrive’s Subaru World Rally Team and then a year managing Mitsubishi’s rally programme in USA.
The introduction to Paddon in 2005 brought Kennard back into the sport competitively.
Together, Paddon and Kennard won the New Zealand Rally Championship in 2008 and 2009.
The following season saw the pair part of the Pirelli Star Driver Programme, securing third in the Production World Rally Championship.
Four straight PWRC wins secured the 2011 championship title for the Kiwis – a history-making achievement in New Zealand motorsport as the first Asia-Pacific driver/co-driver combination to ever win a world rally championship title.
“After 12 years as Hayden’s co-driver, it will be hard to lever myself out of that Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC seat for the last time,” said Kennard.
“But our deal has always been that I help Hayden in the most effective way possible and to have been his co-driver for so long, has been incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.
“When we first got in a car together, in 2006, the dream of winning the WRC seemed so far away.
“But now, as we push to achieve that ultimate goal, it’s timely that we re-arrange roles for maximum effect and to help complete the quest we’re all on – to bring the WRC Championship trophy home to New Zealand.”
Reflecting on their time together, Paddon admits Kennard has been influential in his rise up the rallying ranks.
“Obviously, John has played a huge part in my career since we started working together at the end of 2005,” said Paddon.
“We have achieved so much together and it has been quite a journey of highs and lows.
“It’s certainly sad to end the partnership, but we have been discussing over the last couple of years when was the best for both of us to make the transition with an eye towards the future.
“I can’t thank John enough for everything he’s contributed in these 12 years, but this is not the end.
“He will stay involved, helping me behind the scenes and, as he has played an important part in the journey so far, it’s only natural that he remains a part of it.”