Indycar 2017 - News and Discussion

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

That was a great race from start to finish. Interesting strategies, safe, tight racing throughout, and no slapstick moments.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I thought it was a great race. I'd rather see constant drafting and overtaking than a single line procession. At least it was exciting and unpredictable as opposed to the insane wildness of two years ago. I wanted Newgarden to win but I was happy to see Power come through as well as have Rossi fight at the front all day.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I guess some people are easily pleased. None of the overtakes looked challenging, and that's because none of them were.

If you wanted to defend it was easy as Will Power showed. It was basically 490 miles of "No, after you, I insist!"
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

If an overtake doesn't look challenging, it's meaningless. That's what we hate about when F1 makes DRS too powerful.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Power's tactics were solid but I don't think Newgarden was really going to try anything unless he had a proper chance to overtake. He was never going to try an outside overtake into T3. Rather he'd bank the points than risk going into the wall.

As for the overtakes, it is what it is. By running the race like that the leaders were able to run faster laps, running line of stern would have been slower.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Foyt and Mears enjoyed the race:
Everyone always has an opinion about an IndyCar race – too boring, too processional, too many long yellows, not enough overtaking, Mickey Mouse circuit – and other than the Indianapolis 500, there usually aren't a lot of compliments thrown around.

Which makes the phone call I received Monday morning not only unusual, but also pretty credible.

"I thought yesterday was a damn good race," said A.J. Foyt, who watched the ABC 500 at Pocono from his Houston home because of an infection in his leg. "I mean, there was a lot going on, and guys going from the back to the front, drafting each other and racing hard. Hell, I watched every lap, so you know it had to be pretty good."

Now Indy's first four-time king and the winningest driver in IndyCar history isn't exactly enamored with today's cars and drivers, so this unprompted endorsement is worth noting. And he wasn't raving about the show because one of his cars won (although Carlos Munoz had his best run of the season, finishing 10th).

Rick Mears, who has been lobbying for less downforce and making the cars more difficult to drive, sounded pleased before he got on his flight home Sunday night.

"It's amazing how good the racing can be when everybody isn't wide open," said the four-time Indy winner. "That was good racing today."
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14338 ... om-on-high
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It was a 'proper' race. Anyone who doesn't enjoy that needs to look elsewhere really.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

I expect the same from Gateway tonight. :)
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I don't based on practice, but it could be they were not really trying, it seemed a struggle to overtake in practice yesterday.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Yeah, you are probably right, but I'm trying to be optimistic. But hey, it's the last oval race with over downforced aero package.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It does seem line-sensitive doesn't it, esp with the new pavement.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I've very low expectations for this race. Hopefully tyre degradation or something will create some action otherwise we'll have another Phoenix on our hands.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Kanaan is past it.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Haha translation: TK just crashed on the pace lap, he's still running, but three laps down.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Big shunt!

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Big crash same place TK crashed, Power spun, got collected by Carpenter who rode over him and gave him a big hit on the head, Sato crashed too.