1967 USAC season / 1967 indy 500

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Wagon

1967 USAC season / 1967 indy 500

Post by Tommie van Ostade »

Hi all,

I'm searching for pictures of the 1967 USAC season, and the Indy 500 in particular. If you have anything from the 1967 USAC season I'd be gratefull. I know about Artemis images, but other than that site there are not that many pictures around. So if you've got some, post 'em :D.

Also, if you have information on the 1967 USAC season please post here too. Do you have a picture of the Gerhardt team logo? Or specs from the Ford V8, Offenhauser or Pratt & Whitney engines, or from the cars themselves? Articles how the season went? Anything will do really :D .

There is not a whole lot of information available on the internet about USAC, and I thought that maybe some of you would have a pic or two lying around that I have not seen before.

:wave: Tommie.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I have some stuff, I'll post it soon.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Tommie van Ostade wrote:Articles how the season went? Anything will do really :D .
I don't have any articles, but I could write a little potted account of any of the races that season that you might be interested in. Try not to ask for too many of them though, my fingers and computer keyboards have an uneasy relationship.
ChiliFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ChiliFan »

The Indy 500 website has photos of all the cars that qualified:

http://www.indy500.com/photo/gallery.ph ... 1967-01-01
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks all for the help. Looking forward to the stuff you got Jesper, thanks in advance :thumbsup: .
EB wrote:I don't have any articles, but I could write a little potted account of any of the races that season that you might be interested in. Try not to ask for too many of them though, my fingers and computer keyboards have an uneasy relationship.
What was the most exciting race of the season and why? I'm trying to know more about this particular season, how the championship went etc. I don't even know who won really :oops: .

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Tommie van Ostade wrote:What was the most exciting race of the season and why? I'm trying to know more about this particular season, how the championship went etc. I don't even know who won really :oops: .

Tricky, as many of the races were pretty boring to be honest. It was also quite a rain disrupted year.

The Trenton race in September was great, lots of incidents and a through the field charge from Foyt.

The finale at Riverside was as good as any, lots of lead changes and the championship up for grabs - at the end nobody was quite sure who had won it! Foyt clinched it over Andretti in the end, but only thanks to some car hopping after he was involved in a crash in the car he started in. This race also featured Jim Clark's last race appearance in anything other than a single seater Lotus.

Oh, a mention must be made of Jim Hurtubise's all or nothing last lap effort at Springfield, which ended up with him sailing over the fourth turn wall :mrgreen:

I liked the choice of tracks that season, even if the racing wasn't always that good - Indy, Langhorne, St Jovite, Riverside, Mosport etc.

The 1967 Indy 500 is surely the highest quality starting field in the race's history.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

strad wrote:Tommie...Does this help??
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=4121
Oh yes... Thank you very much Strad!

Thanks EB for the info. I'd like to know more about the Riverside race. Was car hopping allowed back then, even in mid-race? What car was Clark in if he wasn't racing in a Lotus?

Wasn't Jim Hartubise the last driver with a front-engined car? It's funny because his car is called a Mallard, which looks like the Dutch word 'mallerd', whcih means silly :mrgreen: .

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Tommie van Ostade wrote:Thanks EB for the info. I'd like to know more about the Riverside race. Was car hopping allowed back then, even in mid-race?
Yes, very much so, I remember Andretti swapping cars 2 or 3 times in the following year's race, but just lost out to Bobby Unser by a miniscule margin.

Foyt took over Roger McCluskey's car and came home fifth, giving him 160 out of the 300 points offered for 5th place, and he won the championship by 80.

Foyt always had the advantage in '67 by virtue of winning Indy - races were worth proportionally more points if they were longer mileage (2 points per mile for the winner). So Foyt got 1,000 for Indy alone, whereas Andretti's win in the Hoosier Hundred was only worth 200 points.

Back to Riverside, it was a great battle between Gurney, Clark (until his early retirement), Bobby Unser and Andretti. Gurney won it in the end, despite a lengthy pitstop due to a puncture. The top 3 all led the race at some point during the last 6 laps.
Tommie van Ostade wrote:What car was Clark in if he wasn't racing in a Lotus?
A Vollstedt. Did very well too, until missing a gear and being forced to retire. Rolla had offered him a drive at the same event the following year, but of course fate intervened.

Tommie van Ostade wrote:Wasn't Jim Hartubise the last driver with a front-engined car?
The last that I know of. His tantrum in 1978 when he jumped in someone else's car in protest at not being allowed to qualify was a sad incident, but he actually brought the Mallard back as late as 1981. He did of course drive rear engined cars in the 1970s at Indy too, but I guess his dream was to make the field once again in a front engined car.
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

EB wrote:Foyt took over Roger McCluskey's car and came home fifth, giving him 160 out of the 300 points offered for 5th place, and he won the championship by 80.
Indeed Roger McCluskey is credited with 5th place here: http://www.motorsport.com/stats/champ/byyear.asp?Y=1967 . But you're saying Foyt took the points and the price money? What happened to McCluskey then? Did he just get a big hug from Foyt after the race was over or something?!
EB wrote:
Tommie van Ostade wrote:What car was Clark in if he wasn't racing in a Lotus?
A Vollstedt. Did very well too, until missing a gear and being forced to retire. Rolla had offered him a drive at the same event the following year, but of course fate intervened.
Hold on, I just remembered I've got a picture from Clark in a yellow car at Riverside 1967. That must be the Vollstedt then. I was wondering already why his Lotus was painted yellow :) .

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Tommie van Ostade wrote:But you're saying Foyt took the points and the price money? What happened to McCluskey then? Did he just get a big hug from Foyt after the race was over or something?!
No, he got lots of kisses too.

(My next post on the "I wish" thread will be a sincere wish that AJ isn't a Fastlane member :dunno: )

McCluskey got 140 points, as that site says - but scroll down and you will see Foyt listed as a relief driver earning 160 points too.

In fact, Foyt initially would have intended to call in Jim Hurtubise, but when AJ got back to his pit he found Hurtubise already there, having already retired, so he had to take McCluskey's car instead.
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jesper Hvid wrote:I have some stuff, I'll post it soon.
BUMP :mrgreen: . Has this stuff been posted? Maybe I missed it :oops: .