1964 Peter Arundell's F2 Lotus Crash at Reims

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

1964 Peter Arundell's F2 Lotus Crash at Reims

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Peter Arundell wrote:We were three abreast on the straight. We were having great slipstreaming sessions. I seem to remember that I was in the second row of cars. On the inside... I must have been on the inside. Going up the hill. On the uphill rise there is a right-hand kink just before you go over the brow, It happened on that kink. Richie said that I got a wheel over the edge of the track. And this sent the car sideways. He hit me. There wasn't much else he could do.
Mark Kahn wrote:Richie was Richie Ginther, the American driver. He was in a Lola. The Lotus somersaulted high in the air. Arundell was hurled out. He was catapulted some three hundred feet. Three hundred feet. Ambulance men found him unconscious beside the track. Ginther's Lola somersaulted too - four times - but by some freak chance he was uninjured.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Arundell-interview about his return to racing, from AUTOSPORT, Feb. 4, 1966. Click to enlarge.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

ImageImage
ImageImage

Article (4 pages) about Arundell from MOTORSPORT, Dec. 2002, mentioning the accident. Two large colour pics have been omitted, as they were across pages, and impossible to scan properly, anyway. Click to enlarge.
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

Ginther getting a lift back from Rindt. The only related picture.

http://jochenrindt.com/en/racing/grand- ... opheesfra/
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx