Bob Criss and Bobby Marshman Fatal Crashes

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
wrapster

Bob Criss and Bobby Marshman Fatal Crashes

Post by wrapster »

Does anyone have pics or info on Bob Criss' fatal Indycar wreck at phoenix in the 1970's? Or for that matter Bobby Marshman's, also at Phoenix in 1964? If so thanks!
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

I doubt there are any pics of the Marshman wreck, but I do know that the crash occurred in the very car Jim Clark had finished 2nd in at the previous year's 500.

I believe suspension failure caused the wreck (although I can't remember that for certain) and that the car then caught fire. He died of terrible burns a few days later.

A great shame, he would have been a true great - indeed he was running away with that year's 500 before he ran too low in one of the turns.

EDIT - just looked it up in one of my books, apparently the crash was caused by the throttle jamming open.
Last edited by EB 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Re: Bob Criss's crash, from a contemporary newspaper at the time, with the less relevant info omitted:
"He lost it coming out of the fourth turn", said car owner Tom Page, "The car hit the inside wall, broke into several pieces and burst into flames".

Witnesses said the explosion sent parts of the car over a 75-yard radius and the chassis broke in half. Three members of a racing team waiting for their car to arrive were among the first on the scene with fire-fighting equipment, and racer Billy Schuman quickly extinguished the blaze.

A hospital physician said Criss probably died of internal injuries, adding that the burns apparently were not enough themselves to cause death.

The team had apparently rented the track for a shakedown run. Criss had completed about six or seven laps before the mishap.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Marshman got sprayed in fuel, which then ignited. He was in the car for over a minute, got out unaided and fire marshalls put out his clothes which were on fire, but he'd already suffered 90% burns on his body by then.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I'll add these to the item list for when I take a roundtrip in the newspaper archive we've been checking out lately.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARCH-14-1973- ... SwQ9hc0Ht3

I'm asking the seller if there are any visual media to be found in the article re: Criss.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Seller is unresponsive, and that's the 4th time in a row. I'm not going to waste my time with these prats, anymore.