My new axe :)

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

My new axe :)

Post by PTRACER »

It's a Burns Red Special, a replica of Brian May's homemade guitar :happy:

Sorry, very dodgy photo :oops:
Last edited by PTRACER 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

Nice guitar. That picture caused a weird flashback...
What if?
ASH
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ASH »

Welcome to this board Mark Knopfler!
Work as hard as you can! Do it as well as you can! Don't shit where you eat!
WilliamsF1

Post by WilliamsF1 »

Lets HiJack this thread.

This is now known as 'Caption this...'

"Sorry I've been away of late guys, I've been learning about 'Instruments'. I'm also going to be taking some time off soon. Tall Oaks Band Camp for me guys! I'm really looking forward to it!!"

:cool: :tongue:
There is no such thing as a risk, when you don't have EVERYTHING you want
HC

Post by HC »

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Warren, how easy is this to do?:

http://sglguitars.s5.com/BurnsRed%20Spe ... allery.htm

The Burns model is nothing like the real one and that link shows various steps towards making it closer to the real thing...

Also, the pickup selectors are black when they should be white. Can I just remove them and spray them or paint them? Which would you recommend?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

For an experienced craftsman, the Trem Conversion would be fairly simple to do. I don't think you have the skills for that, just yet. I don't understand the routing part. It doesn't look, at all, like the pickup cavity was routed...It looks like the bridge cavity was routed and then filled, moving it closer to the bridge pickup. The problem with this is that this changes the scale length of the instrument and would make the instrument never in tune with itself. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what the picture is telling me. The routing job for the trem kit looks pretty shitty, too. Too many rough edges, even if it is covered. He should've put a layer of masking tape down, before routing.

As far as the color of the switches goes, I'd get white ones and solder them in. Painting them wouldn't look good, nor would it hold up to flicking, over time. There is an aerosol paint on the market which is supposed to bond to plastic at a molecular level, but the problem with that is the nozzle wouldn't be able to make the spray fine enough to look good The paint would tend to go on thick and fill the ridges on the switch tops.

Sorry for the negative comments but I've got a fair amount of experience doing this sort of thing.
What if?
PTfan54
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by PTfan54 »

4000 Pound replica of a guitar that cost Brian May 17.50 Pounds to make...

Ah, irony... :cool:
Bernie Ecclestone's Glasses: The Greatest Spectacles in Racing
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Warren wrote:For an experienced craftsman, the Trem Conversion would be fairly simple to do. I don't think you have the skills for that, just yet.
I don't have the skills for it full stop :lol: I'd get someone more professional to do it...maybe there's someone on my dad's side of the family who happens to have a few carpentry skills...
Warren wrote:I don't understand the routing part. It doesn't look, at all, like the pickup cavity was routed...It looks like the bridge cavity was routed and then filled, moving it closer to the bridge pickup.
What's routing actually mean?
Warren wrote:The problem with this is that this changes the scale length of the instrument and would make the instrument never in tune with itself.
Well, the thing with Brian May's real guitar is that pitch bends and moving the tremolo about doesn't affect the tuning at all. My Burns copy goes out of tune in the same way my shitty Squier strat did! And with the guitar modification in the link - the bridge itself doesn't move, although the tremolo bit of it does.

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

PTfan54 wrote:4000 Pound replica of a guitar that cost Brian May 17.50 Pounds to make...

Ah, irony... :cool:
No...profit :cool: :tongue:
CevertAngel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One.
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari (Present) and Tyrell (Past)
Favourite Driver: Francois Cevert (Past) and Kimi.
Favourite Circuit: Monza,Monaco and Spa.
Car(s) Currently Owned: 1987 Ferrari Testa Rossa. 1968 Impa
Location: In Francois Cevert Heaven.Sharing a Cloud with Francois and Uncle Ken.

Post by CevertAngel »

Nice Guitar Paul...........Lucky Bugger. Brian May would be plaesed . :thumbsup:
Always One Of Great Brilliance on the Track and Great Kindness Of It... - Francois Cevert (1944-1973) .... Loved and Missed Always,
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

PTRACER wrote:
Warren wrote:For an experienced craftsman, the Trem Conversion would be fairly simple to do. I don't think you have the skills for that, just yet.
I don't have the skills for it full stop :lol: I'd get someone more professional to do it...maybe there's someone on my dad's side of the family who happens to have a few carpentry skills...
Warren wrote:I don't understand the routing part. It doesn't look, at all, like the pickup cavity was routed...It looks like the bridge cavity was routed and then filled, moving it closer to the bridge pickup.
Warren wrote:The problem with this is that this changes the scale length of the instrument and would make the instrument never in tune with itself.
Well, the thing with Brian May's real guitar is that pitch bends and moving the tremolo about doesn't affect the tuning at all. My Burns copy goes out of tune in the same way my shitty Squier strat did! And with the guitar modification in the link - the bridge itself doesn't move, although the tremolo bit of it does.
In all honesty, I think it would take the skills of a luthier, more than a carpenter, but maybe.

Routing is the action of removing material with a router.

It's difficult to keep most non-locking tremolos in tune, actually. Having rollers in the bridge saddles and nut, along with locking tuners is the best bet. We're getting into physics on this one, but anyway.

Measure twice, cut once!
What if?
BleedingGums

Post by BleedingGums »

PTRACER wrote:
Isn't that the art of finding more than one way home?

:dunno:
The blues isn't about making yourself feel better, it's about making other people feel worse.
Lunatic Armchair
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Location: St Alfonzo's Pancake breakfast,where I stole the marjerene

Post by Lunatic Armchair »

Warren wrote:That picture caused a weird flashback...

Care to enlighten us. :thumbsup:
Matt wrote:The 1981 Monaco and Spanish Grands Prix had a surprising winner, merely due to the fact that they're the only races in history to have been won by a World War 2 tank disguised as a Formula One car.
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

Nope.
What if?