Still Up For Some More Music, I Hope.

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Not a van-fan myself, but I've got those ancient vinyls, along with Animals, Stones, Mayall, Troggs, and Yardbirds, as I happen to dig them white old rhythm and blues.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Van Morrison I was a bit hot and cold on... really liked some of his stuff, above being one of them I liked.

This another... maybe its the brass Im into.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

He's great at that soul thing.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Decent enough comeback, but the spirit of Kin isn't there. This is more of a rewind to 30 years back when they were neglected as a Testament clone.

---

This new WW1 concept album by Sabaton fails in every way, like the Charlemagne album with Christopher Lee, though not in as seriocomic a manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTTRaN ... L50tHL2y9G

---

Mercyful Fate have reformed, tho. Not sure if they intend to record a new album, or if it's just for the sake of some live gigs next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H2O9I5 ... rt_radio=1

The last three times I saw King Diamond, and before that the last 2 Mercyful Fate gigs, weren't too brilliant, but they were undoubtedly the most original rock band to come out of Denmark, so hopefully they will cook up something interesting, and I definitely will go see them.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Love this version of a brilliant song.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

All-star washed-up lineup, doing vintage Saxon. Pastiche of a pastiche of a pastiche. It was already going dodgy with Black & Blue at the end of the 80s. Fuck your old boots, dudes. You carry no news. Phil Campbell was the least interesting and flamboyant Motörhead member. Now he thinks he's Izzy Stradlin. The fact that Mickey Dee ain't in this, tells you summat about what Motörhead really were for the last 25 years.
Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo »

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Larry Wallis died the other day, another victim of the Motörhead disease - which make no mistake is due to the effects of alcoholism. This was his solo version of one of his few compositions for the band, in the formative years. You can hear the lyrics in Wallis' own version more clearly. Raw sociopolitical stuff. He never showed up to the epic Motörhead birthday shindig in 1985. Even if he had, they would never have considered playing any of his songs, even though I'm sure a version of Vibrator with Wendy O. Williams would have brought the house down :haha: Especially with props...

But this is where the rock 'n' rolly vibe of Motörhead really came from. Same with On Parole, which had T-Rexy things in it, in the Motörhead version.

But this overall crappy and disastrously produced album wasn't released until around 1981 or so. It could have been lost forever, if not for the band's later breakthru track:

It (over)killed punk rock, along with Black Metal by Venom, same year. 1980. More over the top than anything heard before. The advent of Heavy Metal. Which make no mistake lasted only 10 years. If Wallis ever saw a dime from that, it is only because of what they evolved into. For years, Motörhead played Iron Horse/Born to Lose as a tribute to Lemmy's wanker friends in Hell's Angels, but that disappeared when Lemmy moved to the States. After that, it's clear that Motörhead had become his solo band, which eventually went on repeat, like the rest. All the while, I bet old Larry Wallis didn't even give a shit. Probably picked up his yearly royalties for the early work, and then blew it all inside of a week. There's a reason Spïnal Tap is modelled on Motörhead. Hopefully, this rock and roll clichée is now gone. I would hate a Motörhead tribute band having success. There was a time for this, and it has been over for several decades. Had they carried on with Wallis, they would have failed and folded. He survived the rest of the band because his liver was considerably less damaged, is my theory. Lucas Fox is left, he never enjoyed the later success, but he has one thing going for him: he's alive. :haha:
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Ginger Baker is very ill and in hospital for a few days, already, so no news is good news, I suppose.

Meanwhile, here's the totally ace full album he did with the Masters of Reality a long time ago (playlist in right panel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beyj3BE ... H50xTF4vxw

His drumming days are probably over, but hopefully he still has many years to live.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Was never a huge fan of Creams sound, but Ginger is a fantastic drummer. Like you said, I hope he gets through.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Jesper Hvid wrote: 4 years ago Ginger Baker is very ill and in hospital for a few days, already, so no news is good news, I suppose.

Meanwhile, here's the totally ace full album he did with the Masters of Reality a long time ago (playlist in right panel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beyj3BE ... H50xTF4vxw

His drumming days are probably over, but hopefully he still has many years to live.
I know he has been suffering various ailments, particularly heart problems over the past few years. He had open heart surgery not many years ago, (2016)
and he was forced to cancel a tour with his band Air Force after being diagnosed with “serious heart problems.”

In 2013, he told Rolling Stone that his health was “not good” and that performing left him exhausted. “I’ve got degenerative osteoarthritis, which is extremely painful and I’m on a regiment with a health service pain management control,” he said. “Apart from that I’ve got COPD from smoking.”

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I didn't expect him to make it, tbh.

---

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Very sad news, despite being expected.

RIP Ginger Baker.

I first became aware of him back in 1968 when I bought the Wheels of Fire double album. This track in particular. He was the backbone of Cream.

Huge drum solo. Toad. Live at the Albert Hall. I love the way Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce, after doing the intro walk off and leave the stage for Ginger to play.
As Ginger said "Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play."