Rumoured/possible driver moves which did not happen?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Re: Rumoured/possible driver moves which did not happen?

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 week ago

Last post from previous page:

He was linked, how seriously I dont recall, when Merc ultimately chose to bring Schumacher out of retirement..... but yes he name was mentioned in relation to a lot of teams, including I seem to recall a long shot at a return to McLaren. But there is a lot of disparity between actual fact and what we read online! :wink:
Actually Toyota was another team he was supposedly offered a seat at to replace Glock. but knocked it back as he wanted a car capable of winning! And the money wasnt right. Not to mention they threw the towel in at the end of 2009..
*"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"- Jimi Hendrix.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 5 days ago

Alonso was offered a drive at Red Bull in 2009 that he turned down. (From the Gospel of Horner :wink: )
Red Bull came "very close" to signing Fernando Alonso, with a two-year contract for 2009 and 2010 turned down, team boss Christian Horner has revealed.

According to Horner, Red Bull met with Alonso's management over the 2008 winter and offered a multi-year deal, only for the Spaniard to insist on a one-year contract.

Red Bull ultimately kept Mark Webber onboard, and promoted Sebastian Vettel in place of David Coulthard, with Alonso moving from Renault to Ferrari for 2010.

"We got very close to signing Alonso," Horner told Motor Sport Magazine in a wide-ranging interview.

"Helmut [Marko] and I went to see his management at the end of 2008 for the 2009 and 2010 season and we offered him a two-year contract.

"He would only sign up for one year and we said Red Bull's position was a two-year deal or nothing, and he wouldn't commit to that.

"We thought he'd had a Ferrari contract very clearly for 2009.

"What was weird about that was that Flavio [Briatore] was involved as well, but he was trying to get him for Renault, which he was managing at the time.

"Halfway through 2009, I had an approach to say, 'Could he join mid-season?', because they thought he could win the championship in the car.

"Then he had another conversation in the back of an Alfa Romeo at Spa airport several years later, in 2011 or 2012, and again it never really…

"The most serious discussion was the first one and then it missed its chance."
https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360 ... ng-alonso/
*"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"- Jimi Hendrix.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always