The Fastlane Trivia Quiz....Show us your knowledge! (PART 2)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Niki Lauda Canada 1979 springs to mind. He retired from F1 after practice and was on a plane home by the time the race started with Zunino in the Brabham in his place. (Zunino had never driven an F1 car prior to the final qualy, and had to borrow Lauda's helmet IIRC )
I'm thinking along the lines of someone who DNQ'd but then got promoted to the grid due to two or three others having their quali times deleted for infringement.

And then the driver who was promoted to the back of the grid had already left the track and lost the opportunity to start his only GP. Someone like Otto Stuppacher, 1976 Austria.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Niki Lauda Canada 1979 springs to mind. He retired from F1 after practice and was on a plane home by the time the race started with Zunino in the Brabham in his place. (Zunino had never driven an F1 car prior to the final qualy, and had to borrow Lauda's helmet IIRC )
I'm thinking along the lines of someone who DNQ'd but then got promoted to the grid due to two or three others having their quali times deleted for infringement.

And then the driver who was promoted to the back of the grid had already left the track and lost the opportunity to start his only GP. Someone like Otto Stuppacher, 1976 Austria.
Yeah I think your line of thinking is probably right as Zunino actually qualified Lauda's Brabham..
Re Stuppacher I think he (and another local) was actually refused a Super License due to a lack of experience, having bought / rented a Tyrrell for the race and had an entry accepted because he had won a local race the prize of which was an entry at the Austrian GP. The other guy had come second and the entry was to the fiirst two in the race... Neither of them took part in qualifying AFAIK . There was another local who suffered the same fate. They were not given a late reprieve. (Also as locals I doubt either of them would be on the plane home!) Maybe the prize was to get some local content at the GP and attract local fans as Lauda was lying in hospital recovering from his burns.

Stuppacher did get some sympathy sponsorship that paid for him to enter a few other GPs but he failed to qualify in the three others he did... at one in Canada (or US)1976 I think he qualified 26 seconds slower than pole!

Ironically Stuppacher's first ever International car race was in the European Sports Car Championship in 1970.... as co driver to Lauda!

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah I think your line of thinking is probably right as Zunino actually qualified Lauda's Brabham..
Re Stuppacher I think he (and another local) was actually refused a Super License due to a lack of experience, having bought / rented a Tyrrell for the race and had an entry accepted because he had won a local race the prize of which was an entry at the Austrian GP. The other guy had come second and the entry was to the fiirst two in the race... Neither of them took part in qualifying AFAIK . There was another local who suffered the same fate. They were not given a late reprieve. (Also as locals I doubt either of them would be on the plane home!) Maybe the prize was to get some local content at the GP and attract local fans as Lauda was lying in hospital recovering from his burns.

Stuppacher did get some sympathy sponsorship that paid for him to enter a few other GPs but he failed to qualify in the three others he did... at one in Canada (or US)1976 I think he qualified 26 seconds slower than pole!

Ironically Stuppacher's first ever International car race was in the European Sports Car Championship in 1970.... as co driver to Lauda!
Yeah! Karl Oppitzhauser, who is listed is "DNP" - Did Not Practice.

From Otto Stuppacher's Wikipedia:
At the 1976 Italian Grand Prix he failed to qualify by a considerable margin, but subsequently he was promoted up the order when three other cars had their times disallowed due to fuel irregularities. Unfortunately, Stuppacher had already left the circuit and returned home, and was unable to get back to the circuit in time to race. The three demoted runners were eventually re-admitted after the withdrawal of Stuppacher, Arturo Merzario, and Guy Edwards.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

Quite close. Not the exact race
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

@Jacob PT originally said Austria but in another post said Monza for the Italian GP which seems to fit the bill. Maybe you missed or misread @PTRACER's post where he said Monza?

Great question though. :thumbsup:

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jacob »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago @Jacob PT originally said Austria but in another post said Monza for the Italian GP which seems to fit the bill. Maybe you missed or misread @PTRACER's post where he said Monza?

Ah yes. correct. Did not see that. Stuppacher later tried it at Mosport and Watkins Glen, but was far off the pace.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Jacob wrote: 4 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago @Jacob PT originally said Austria but in another post said Monza for the Italian GP which seems to fit the bill. Maybe you missed or misread @PTRACER's post where he said Monza?

Ah yes. correct. Did not see that. Stuppacher later tried it at Mosport and Watkins Glen, but was far off the pace.
Tony Trimmer, who privately entered a Surtees and McLaren into the 1977/8 British Grands Prix said:
They gave us privateers just one set of tyres that completely wrecked the handling of our cars and it was done on purpose to stop us embarrassing the 'stars' !!!!!
Although I think at The Glen it seems Stuppacher only had one set of worn slicks and no wets, hence the ridiculously slow laptimes:

Some photos of him at Monza:

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jacob »

Awesome

Another one: Which Grand Prix winner worked for Opel tuner Virgilio Conrero?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Didn't he also work for Lancia in the early 80's? I mean Conrero?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yes he did. He certainly also worked on projects with Alfa and in rallies with Renault, Alpine, Gordini and with Guzzi and Triumph in Bikes

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jacob »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Didn't he also work for Lancia in the early 80's? I mean Conrero?
Yes. But the Grand Prix driver worked on Opels
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Keke Rosberg? He drove for Opel
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

We all know the beautiful and demanding Mount Panorama Circuit (aka Bathurst) as one of the most iconic, unique and most recognisable racetracks in the world.

But what was the it named before that (More precisely: the mountain the races are now held on)? And how did the track (and ofc the mountain) receive its current name?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I know the answer so will let someone else have a go. Out of interest technically the mountain is known now by both names.... the Aboriginal tribe of the area going way back had mounted a demand over several decades for the original name to be re-instated and a few years ago the NSW State Govt agreed the mountain would have dual names, one of which is the original Aboriginal name, and one Mount Panorama. :wink:

acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

The indigenous name is Wahluu I believe.

Here’s a question, which NASCAR driver was infamously sued by his sponsor for “damaging the companies image”.
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jacob »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Keke Rosberg? He drove for Opel
I forget to say the correct answer. It was Rene Arnoux