Join us here in ranking Ayrton Senna's Formula 1 cars! viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16038

The 'Questions That Don't Warrant Their Own Thread' Thread

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Re: The 'Questions That Don't Warrant Their Own Thread' Thread

Post by Antonov » 4 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

I assume it must have been something along the lines of "it just took off and I didn't see it again".

hollie3sa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hollie3sa » 4 months ago

Yeah, you're probably right.

Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 3 months ago

Did Lauda make his comeback in 1982 due to missing F1, or due to much needed funds for his company?

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 months ago

Antonov wrote:
3 months ago
Did Lauda make his comeback in 1982 due to missing F1, or due to much needed funds for his company?
Neither.... he says he returned for the challenge (but I am sure the money helped, as he would have needed plenty to set up Lauda Air.) He had decided he was not going to race for less that he earnt as a WDC, and would still be the highest paid driver.

When he retired he did so mid race weekend because he was in his own words because he was bored, and there was no challenge, it was only painful. He had just tested the car he would have been driving the following year with Brabham, and he was being powered by a DFV V8, the first time since he was with March he had not had 12 cylinders. So after practice in Canada he walked away from F1, left his suit and helmet behind and went to the airport. He had lost all his motivation for F1. His airline had become his new challenge.

For two years he did not go to a race, watch on TV or even follow results of races. He just worked on his airline.Then one day he was asked to commentate at a race, just after Ron Dennis had asked him if he ever thought of a comeback (Niki said no). At the race he commentated on there was a big startline crash, and it excited him. He just decided he wanted to be in F1 again, he wanted to take risks again.

Ron again offered him a chance to just try a car if he wished, so he agreed to run in a Mclaren at a private and 'secret' day at Donnington.It went well and he was fairly quick, so he asked for a big wad of cash. Marlboro baulked at his demands, thinking he was past his best.... so Niki did a deal where he would come back on a three race contract on his (financial) terms and if after three races he had not proved himself they could sack him no questions asked. He finished 4th in his first race, DNFd with a mechanical fault in the second, and won the third race. McLaren and Marlboro were happy.... they had won just one race in the two years Niki was retired. Niki was contracted on his financial terms.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 3 months ago

@Everso Biggyballies Niki was a clever man.
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.