Info Request: Drivers Who Died of Non-Race, Unnatural Causes

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Info Request: Drivers Who Died of Non-Race, Unnatural Causes

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Motorsportmemorial is extending the scope of the research to include section "Lest We Forget". It's still in the making, and I'd like to ask this forum for help, specifying names of:

RACE RELATED PERSONS WHO DIED OF NON-MOTORSPORTS-CRASH-RELATED, BUT UNNATURAL CAUSES.

This includes for example road accidents, but does not include death caused by disease. Thus, e.g. Rudolph Hasse would not be eligible, because he died at the WW2 Eastern Front of disease, and was not killed in action. Similarly, Tony Bettenhausen, Jr.'s wife is not included, even though she died in the same crash as her husband, as she was not directly involved in motorsport. She is mentioned in TB, Jr.'s entry, however, so as not to be ignored completely. I hope you understand how this system works, and that you're able to help out!

I've entered 70+ names into the database already, here is my temporary list (sorry, not alphabetized):

ROAD ACCIDENT VICTIMS (27):

Mike Mosely, Mike Parkes, Rob Moroso, Andy Kirby, Frederick Samuel Duesenberg, Samer Al-Khalili, Francis T. Turner, John Mauro, Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood, John Michael Hawthorn, Bob Wollek, Emilio Guiseppe "Nino" Farina, Jon Underwood, James Byron Dean, Ulrich "Ulli" Melkus, Alexander "Sasha" Lesnikov, Phil Bishop, Henrikus Rommoes, Malcolm Carmichael, Gary Everett, Martyn Piddock, Peter Bradshaw, Keith Pinkstaff, Jamie Hunter, Porfirio Rubirosa Ariza, Prince Jacques de Bourbon-Parme, Pablo Birger.

PLANE/HELICOPTER CRASH VICTIMS (35***):

Jimmie Wedell, Carlos Menem, Jr., Silvio Oltra, Al Loquasto, Al Holbert, Richard Panch, Paul Morgan, Chuck Billington, Paul Mumford, Harald Ertl, Alan Kulwicki, Ed "Fast Eddie" Dykes, John Hendrick*, Tony Brise**, Graham Hill**, David Carl Allison, Jason Baldwin, Cavin Councillor, Steve Hislop, Bertie Fisher, José Carlos "Moco" Pace, Tony Lee Bettenhausen, Jr., Wilbur Shaw, Ron Flockhart, Count Lance Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow.

SUICIDES (4):

Willy Mairesse, Robert Dados, James R. "Hap" Sharp, Jorge Daponte****.

MURDER VICTIMS: (3)

Marian Lee "Mickey" Thompson, Lloyd Seay, David Blakely.

VICTIMS OF SHIPWRECKS (2):

Earl DeVore, Norman Batten.

WAR (3):

Charles Frederick William Grover-Williams, Robert Marcel Charles Benoist, Georges Boillot.

OTHER (0):

---
total: 74
---

I could use help with this, if someone feels like contributing, it would be much appreciated.

If you'd like a credit, let me know, and I'll see that you are added to the site contributors' list, when the LWF section comes online sometime.

Please add links to go with the names. Thanks!

* = there were 7 other victims related to Hendrick Motorsports, and I'll add them myself. The pilots were not involved with the team.

** = there were 3 other victims related to Embassy Hill Motorsports, and I'll add them myself.

*** = this number includes the 10 I haven't entered yet, see * and **.

**** = non-confirmed possible suicide.
Last edited by Jesper Hvid 18 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Pablo Birger died in a road accident aged 42 in Buenos Aires. Born 07 Jan 1924, died 09 Mar 1966.

Jorge Daponte died aged 40 of a possible suicide. Born 05 Jun 1923, died 09 Mar 1963, also in Buenos Aires.

James "Hap" Sharp killed himself in 1993 aged 65 at his ranch in Argentina after being told he had a terminal illness. Born 01 Jan 1928, died 07 May 1993.

I don't know if you wanted the last two. You said crash related, and neither of those were, but then, neither was Mairesse's?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

UPDATE #1:

Just a footnote to the above.

For example David Purley died during an aerobatics display, and this type of fatality is not (yet) included in Motorsportmemorial archives.

Instances as for example the two Belgian race fans who died in a road accident during the 2006 Dakar Rallye are not to be included (yet), either.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Update #2:
PTRACER wrote:Pablo Birger died in a road accident aged 42 in Buenos Aires. Born 07 Jan 1924, died 09 Mar 1966.

Jorge Daponte died aged 40 of a possible suicide. Born 05 Jun 1923, died 09 Mar 1963, also in Buenos Aires.

James "Hap" Sharp killed himself in 1993 aged 65 at his ranch in Argentina after being told he had a terminal illness. Born 01 Jan 1928, died 07 May 1993.

I don't know if you wanted the last two. You said crash related, and neither of those were, but then, neither was Mairesse's?
I didn't state crash-related only, and these three are all to be included. Thank you!
SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

note to myself, read before post :roll: :roll: :roll:
Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ulrich "Ulli" Bigalke died during the Battle Of Britain while in the Luftwaffe. 1 Jul 1910 - 12 Aug 1940.

Luis Goncalves Fontès died in a plane crash in Llysworney, Glamorgan, Wales in 1940. He was with the RAF at the time, but I don't think it was a war-related. 26 Dec 1912 - 12 Oct 1940.

Roy Oliver Hesketh was killed during WW2 in an aircraft accident while acting as a flying instructor.

Attilio Marinoni died when he crashed the Alfa Romeo Alfetta into a lorry on an open highway during the war while testing for the expected 1943 season. ?? ??? 1896 - 18 June 1940

Ralph Röese was killed in a serious road accident in 1949. Exact date of birth and death are unknown (I'll search around a bit and see if it's written anywhere).

Christopher Stainbank Staniland was killed while test-flying over Sindlesham, Berkshire during WWII. 7 Oct 1905 - 26 Jun 1942.

Jean Trémoulet died during a Resistance mission at Sagelat 1944. 12 Apr 1909 - 13 Oct 1944.

John Peter "Johnnie" Wakefield was killed in a flying accident near Wargrave, Berkshire in 1942. 5 Apr 1915 - 24 Apr 1942.

Juan Zanelli died 1942 in a concentration camp where he was inmate for his Resistance involvement.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Thanks!

Could you provide a source also, then it would be great!

I will update this list again when I have time, won't be for a while, though. Don't let that deter you from adding instances. Over and out.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Well, not quite:

Update #3:

Topic has been made sticky.
Last edited by Jesper Hvid 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sebbbl
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Grand Prix Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312T
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Circuit: AVUS
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by sebbbl »

Stan Fox died in an road-accident in 2000
Look here

John Winter (Louis Krages) commited suicide in 2001
Look here and here

I also have found this...
Sadly, the race was missing three of its popular drivers - Bob Wolleck, killed by a hit and run driver near the Sebring track - Michele Alboreto, killed while testing for Audi at Lausitzring, - and 'John Winter' (Louis Krages) who died from cancer.
He didn't die because of cancer!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

P34
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by P34 »

Vittorio Jano (1891 - 1966) lost his son in 1966, became gravely ill that same year and committed suicide. His biography here.

I read someone known as "Hann" committed suicide supposingly after the qualification for the 1934 Brooklands 500 race. Read about it here.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Rafal Kurmanski - 22 August 1982 - 30 May 2004.

Adding to Robert Dados' misery another Polish speedway rider Rafal Kurmanski commited suicide by hanging himself in a hotel room in Zielona Gora. He was battling with alcohol abuse which combined a massive pressure from fans and media in Poland. He didn't cope with that at all...

Former Indy Car driver Chip Mead was killed in a plane crash on 31 March 1991.

Pre-war Belgian driver Camille Jenatzy was killed in a hunting accident where he tried to fool his friends and pretend some animal voices. They bought the joke, but accidentally shot the poor Jenatzy who passed away minutes later.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Thanks a lot for all these additions, some I didn't know about, some I'd forgotten.

Here is an obscure one I had, just found it again. Scroll down to the "October 13, 2004" entry.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/Pending/04/oct04.htm

Kurt Kyle, completely unknown, who was a racer at Barberton Speedway, was shot down and killed by robbers. For $15. They executed his murderer a few years ago. Good bloody riddance.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Warren, could you please re-link to the story of that person who was killed underneath his own car? I can't find the link anymore. Thanks in advance.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The illustrious Howard Hughes died in a plane crash in 1976:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay ... s/EX28.htm