1958 Peter Collins Fatal Crash Footage From Italian TV-Prog.

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
samoth

Post by samoth »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oh peoples, i believe this is not the accident from 1958 Nürburgring GP, look at the cars, there is a Porsche from 1959 until 1961, definitive!The Porsche was the 4 cyl. 718 from 59 and 60 a F2 car, there is a little BRM-Lotus or Lotus 21 This are cars from 1961 but not before!
And the other cars look like from the year 60 or 61! 1958 the onliest rear engine car was the cooper, in this scene where a sharp right turn is, are all rear engine cars!!! All the other great 2,5 liter cars was front engine cars. The right turn scene is not the accident from Peter Collins! The cars are all much to tiny for the big 2,5 liter cars. Maybe F2 or F1 with the 1,5 liter cars. And i don´t know what position in the Pflanzgarten section this turn is, cause the Pflanzgarten is way steeper... Maybe really the accident from Solitude?

Please look yourself

Thomas

PS: This is not afront or so... :wave: :huh:
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

If you're right then the people behind "Sfide" should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Do you think possibly the aftermath bit is Collins? I've tried to compare cars as well, but I only concentrated on the crash/wreck, never thought to look at the other cars (not that I would know much about that anyway).
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Does anyone have this book:

http://www.autobuch.at/shop/prod_summar ... &ucat=3019

I've ordered a copy. It has more than 400 pics, maybe one of them matches the scenery in this incident. We can't have this wrong IDing stuff, it's a total disgrace.

I can't find anything helpful here: http://www.solitude-memorial.de/
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I'll get this as well, it's inexpensive:

http://suche.motorbuch-versand.de/200338.htm
samoth

Post by samoth »

Jesper Hvid wrote:If you're right then the people behind "Sfide" should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Do you think possibly the aftermath bit is Collins? I've tried to compare cars as well, but I only concentrated on the crash/wreck, never thought to look at the other cars (not that I would know much about that anyway).
Hello Jesper! Thank you for your reply: The aftermath you can´t see details i know nothing about this. But one thing i know 100 %: The turnright scene is not 1958! Maybe the "sfide" didn´t know too about the scene. In all the Nürburgringfootage between 1934 and 1970 i know, there was very little videofootage in the section Planzgarten (the section has usually three parts: Pflanzgarten I, Planzgarten II and Pflanzgarten III) but here was ususally no camera, i have a 1954 VHS Tape with amateurraces here is a small camera in Planzgarten, but a complete other scene. The angle of the right turn was not "Pflanzgarten conform". Yeah it´s a shame..

Thomas :wave:
ChiliFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ChiliFan »

samoth wrote:
Jesper Hvid wrote:If you're right then the people behind "Sfide" should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Hello Jesper! Thank you for your reply: The aftermath you can´t see details i know nothing about this. But one thing i know 100 %: The turnright scene is not 1958! Maybe the "sfide" didn´t know too about the scene. In all the Nürburgringfootage between 1934 and 1970 i know, there was very little videofootage in the section Planzgarten (the section has usually three parts: Pflanzgarten I, Planzgarten II and Pflanzgarten III) but here was ususally no camera, i have a 1954 VHS Tape with amateurraces here is a small camera in Planzgarten, but a complete other scene. The angle of the right turn was not "Pflanzgarten conform". Yeah it´s a shame..

Thomas :wave:
I don't remember Pflantzgarten ever having armco or advertisement hoardings either. :wow:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

I am sorry for this. I just posted the footage requested, and I'm no Nurburgring expert so I can't help in this ID
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
samoth

Post by samoth »

caneparo wrote:I am sorry for this. I just posted the footage requested, and I'm no Nurburgring expert so I can't help in this ID

Hello Caneparo!
Oh, really no problem! I like the footage really much! It doesn´t a matter all!
Thomas :thumbsup: :wave: :wave: :happy:
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

caneparo wrote:I am sorry for this. I just posted the footage requested, and I'm no Nurburgring expert so I can't help in this ID
No way you could know that it wasn't/isn't Collins. I believed every word of it myself, on the merits of it being a serious motorsports program. I wonder why Frère didn't protest - maybe he never actually saw that piece of footage. For all I know, the aftermath bit might still be Collins, of course. But it's totally out of order to put that crash clip in the program. They didn't even make that gross mistakes on the "Nazi GP" program about Richard Seaman, which you may have seen or read about on TNF. I believe Doug Nye called it "a rum do". Ordinary people will always take that sort of thing at face value, and in a matter of minutes you've falsely rewritten motorsport history. A damn disgrace.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

well I will try to ask pardon with a new video from that broadcast (I'm actually preparing a 1977 Monaco extensive review with subs).
I let you choose among:
1-life of Bandini (with many interviews to the guy, his wife, and some nasty footage of his orrible crash:( )
2-Niki Lauda and Ferrari (usual bunch of interviews, onboard camera on the 312T, the first lap crash at Nurburgring 1974)
3-Monza 1961 (story of the crash with footage and interview to Phil Hill)
1,2 or 3? :mrgreen:
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Could it be somewhere like Monza? It's got to be a permanent circuit, because of the barrier and the advertising hoardings.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
groubite
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 330 P4
Favourite Driver: Willy Mairesse
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

Post by groubite »

caneparo wrote:well I will try to ask pardon with a new video from that broadcast (I'm actually preparing a 1977 Monaco extensive review with subs).
I let you choose among:
1-life of Bandini (with many interviews to the guy, his wife, and some nasty footage of his orrible crash:( )
2-Niki Lauda and Ferrari (usual bunch of interviews, onboard camera on the 312T, the first lap crash at Nurburgring 1974)
Hi caneparo I'd chose option 1, with Bandini. I'd love to learn more about this fantastic and friendly driver. Not so much interested in the crash though. But definetly about him and his wife. That should be great stuff. Please advise what you can do. Cheers.

As for the Collins crash: well, you cannot get it right all the the time, can you? We must accept that there isn't footage of everything around. And this is a fact. We are humans, and we make mistake! So what... let's get on with it. Thank you for your help and contribution anyway.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Then it will be Bandini's retrospective. Unfortunatelly there's few minutes about his tragic end, with the terrible footage of bandini being extracted :(
samoth

Post by samoth »

groubite wrote:
caneparo wrote:well I will try to ask pardon with a new video from that broadcast (I'm actually preparing a 1977 Monaco extensive review with subs).
I let you choose among:
Hi caneparo I'd chose option 1, with Bandini. I'd love to learn more about this fantastic and friendly driver. Not so much interested in the crash though. But definetly about him and his wife. That should be great stuff. Please advise what you can do. Cheers.

As for the Collins crash: well, you cannot get it right all the the time, can you? We must accept that there isn't footage of everything around. And this is a fact. We are humans, and we make mistake! So what... let's get on with it. Thank you for your help and contribution anyway.
Hi Groubite!
Fantastic avatar you have! Willy Mairesse is one of the most underrated F1Driver of the world, you know? Willy was one of the fastest Racedriver in his time!!

Thomas :thumbsup:
groubite
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 330 P4
Favourite Driver: Willy Mairesse
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

Post by groubite »

samoth wrote:Hi Groubite!
Fantastic avatar you have! Willy Mairesse is one of the most underrated F1Driver of the world, you know? Willy was one of the fastest Racedriver in his time!!

Thomas :thumbsup:

Thank's samoth. Very much appreciated. I know. Willy was for sure one of the best of his time. :wave:
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Jesper Hvid wrote:Collins in front of Tony Brooks' winning Vanwall (I have an interview with Brooks in which he recalls this accident - that could be capped if anyone wants to hear it):

And the driver crashing in the pic has a white helmet. Not that any further proof is needed, I just can't believe I didn't check that detail myself.