When IndyCar opened its season in Argentina

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

When IndyCar opened its season in Argentina

Post by MonteCristo »

Robin Miller article on the 1971 Indycar season opener in Argentina:

https://racer.com/2021/02/28/retro-when ... argentina/

And if you ever feel sorry for what has become of USAC, don't.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago And if you ever feel sorry for what has become of USAC, don't.
Why?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago And if you ever feel sorry for what has become of USAC, don't.
Why?
Mechanic Al Freedman asked all the USAC officials sitting in first class if anyone would like to give up their seat for the injured driver and nobody responded.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Do you really believe that? In my opinion, it's anecdotal BS that gets routinely repeated about 'generic' USAC (or other) officials. Fact is, most of the USAC officials were former drivers, mechanics and owners who are revered as a rule, and whenever you ask about specific persons the BS stops. It's a plebs v. blazer thing, and it's old hat. People with low self esteem do that to feel better.

Red flag should be the part about flying first class.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Do you really believe that? In my opinion, it's anecdotal BS that gets routinely repeated about 'generic' USAC (or other) officials. Fact is, most of the USAC officials were former drivers, mechanics and owners who are revered as a rule, and whenever you ask about specific persons the BS stops. It's a plebs v. blazer thing, and it's old hat. People with low self esteem do that to feel better.

Red flag should be the part about flying first class.
Yep I do. And Miller believes it enough to run it in a story.

I can see how they - USAC - would have chartered an entire plane for the circus, and because they paid for it they'd put their big wigs at the pointy end.

And "first class" in the USA is usually what is referred to as business class elsewhere.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

USAC chartering an entire plane? Where would the money come from? USAC was many things, but not a big corporation with unlimited funds.

As for the statement, it's typical in that it juxtapositions an individual against a faceless entity, that's an old trick and someone like Rob Miller should have been clever enough to see through, but unfortunately wasn't. USAC officials were not faceless entities, they were people like you and me. And like I said, nobody has a word to say against any of them as soon as you put up individual names. Who were these officials? I think I have a complete list at home, and it should even be possible to find out who exactly was there, but here are some likely candidates: Donald Davidson, A. J. Watson, Johnny Rutherford, Roger McCluskey, Frankie del Roy, Henry Banks, Duane Carter, J. C. Agajanian, Herb Porter... what a bunch of evil persons, isn't it?

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago USAC chartering an entire plane? Where would the money come from? USAC was many things, but not a big corporation with unlimited funds.

As for the statement, it's typical in that it juxtapositions an individual against a faceless entity, that's an old trick and someone like Rob Miller should have been clever enough to see through, but unfortunately wasn't. USAC officials were not faceless entities, they were people like you and me. And like I said, nobody has a word to say against any of them as soon as you put up individual names. Who were these officials? I think I have a complete list at home, and it should even be possible to find out who exactly was there, but here are some likely candidates: Donald Davidson, A. J. Watson, Johnny Rutherford, Roger McCluskey, Frankie del Roy, Henry Banks, Duane Carter, J. C. Agajanian, Herb Porter... what a bunch of evil persons, isn't it?
Again, from the article...
The charter plane back to Indianapolis
As for the money...
the owner of Autodromo Ciudad de Rafaela — a 3-mile oval located two hours from the nearest big city — reportedly offered USAC $100,000 to stage an exhibition race.
title sponsor (Marlboro)
If you take offense to his reporting of the story, I recommend you write in to Robin directly for weekly mailbag via millersmailbag@racer.com and ask him to clarify and to clear the good name of the United States Auto Club.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'm actually trying to help you identify bad journalism :haha: But that's okay, I know I'm fighting windmills, I'm doing it just for the fun opf it :haha: