Memories of Williams

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Seeing Alan Jones and Carlos Reutemann absolutely trounce everyone at the 1980 USGP at Watkins Glen.
While it was exciting to see the Alfa Romeo on pole, I was hugely disappointed to see my childhood hero Mario Andretti get beat, both Alfas drop out (they sounded amazing!), and the Ferraris mired in the midfield.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Seeing Alan Jones and Carlos Reutemann absolutely trounce everyone at the 1980 USGP at Watkins Glen.
While it was exciting to see the Alfa Romeo on pole, I was hugely disappointed to see my childhood hero Mario Andretti get beat, both Alfas drop out (they sounded amazing!), and the Ferraris mired in the midfield.
Did they absolutely trounce giacomelli when he was still ten seconds in the lead when the Alfa packed in? ;)

Good drive from Jones mind after his rallycross
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I remember piquet doing a two stopper at hockenheim (must have been one of the first scheduled two stoppers) and blasting past everyone to retake the lead. They can't have been that bad at stops then?

I think they showed a tiny clip of him taking senna on the Williams tribute on c4

The race was pretty processional tbh, but two stoppers were certainly new and it livened it up a bit
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Seeing Alan Jones and Carlos Reutemann absolutely trounce everyone at the 1980 USGP at Watkins Glen.
Did they absolutely trounce giacomelli when he was still ten seconds in the lead when the Alfa packed in? ;)

Good drive from Jones mind after his rallycross

Seeing an Alfa that far out front, I thought it was a lapped car at the time. :tongue:
But I had to look it up. For some reason I remember him dropping out very early, but I guess it was lap 31 (I was little and apparently had a short attention span).

But Jones from 10th through the field to win? That's some Senna/Hamilton stuff right there...
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Williams seemed strong on the tyres that day, I'm not suggesting they wouldn't have usurped Giacomelli. Piquet was surprisingly quiet given the races before, probably on a downer as his title bid was over. His rallycross didn't end as well as Jones
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

This is a fun trip down memory lane (including bits of some Toyota commercials):

Piquet was actually catching Giacomelli until the pressure from behind apparently broke his concentration (?)

But also the Williams duo lapped everyone up to 5th place (some of it due to attrition).
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago This is a fun trip down memory lane (including bits of some Toyota commercials):

Piquet was actually catching Giacomelli until the pressure from behind apparently broke his concentration (?)

But also the Williams duo lapped everyone up to 5th place (some of it due to attrition).
There's a Murray and James version too. Still highlights though. The tyres seemed to be on the edge for a few of them, as they often were in during full ground effect
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
Frustrating memory: Them not being able to do pit stops quickly during the mid-90s.
it was especially bad in 1995. If Benetton managed the stop in say 8.0 seconds, then you could almost guarantee a 12.5 second stop or worse for Williams.
Even worse, they had a knack for stopping at the wrong time: Hill and Coulthard would lead away at the start, with The Chin in pursuit, then after 15 or 20 laps they would catch the tail-end Charlies and start lapping, while the Benetton dived into the pits to refuel, emerging with a free track ahead. Then, after losing all their advantage in traffic, the Williams duo would stop as soon as the track was clear again, and have to overtake all the stragglers a second time! :banghead: :annoyed:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

The 1993-1997 period when Williams (for the most part) were the team to beat as I first started watching F1 in 1993.