Senna's legacy protected by his death - discuss

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Senna's legacy protected by his death - discuss

Post by White six »

Hypothesis.

He was on a downslope and was to be thrashed by Schumacher for a few years. Could have retired a rather frustrated and grumpy figure which would have accentuated the earlier faults of his career

Or

He'd have got the better of the German and won more titles
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Given what Hill achieved as a fairly mediocre driver, Senna would have likely won at least either the 1994 or 1995 season.

If he then stuck around for 1996, he would have won that too with Villenenuve as a rookie, assuming the world kept turning the same way with driver moves/car strengths. Maybe by 1997 Jacques would have bettered him.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I think 1993 with that POS McLaren showed Senna was still on top of his game. In fact, probably even better than he was in 1989/1990/1991.

So I agree with Monte, he could have won any and all of the championships from 1994 to 1997 had he continued. He wouldn't have put up with any of Schumacher's shit for sure. He died younger than Lewis Hamilton is now and no one could say Lewis is 'past it', so age is not a factor.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I think 1993 with that POS McLaren showed Senna was still on top of his game. In fact, probably even better than he was in 1989/1990/1991.

So I agree with Monte, he could have won any and all of the championships from 1994 to 1997 had he continued. He wouldn't have put up with any of Schumacher's shit for sure. He died younger than Lewis Hamilton is now and no one could say Lewis is 'past it', so age is not a factor.
Schumacher's car would have been sponsored by ocmra ;)
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I think 1993 with that POS McLaren showed Senna was still on top of his game. In fact, probably even better than he was in 1989/1990/1991.

Anyone could continue until the age of 50 if they were allowed to in these monkey machines tbh. Very different to wrestling 90's cars round a track
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Keeping fit enough to handle the g-forces would be the biggest problem .... specially the neck. So says Hulk anyway after only a few months out and continuing to train he said he really suffered when he got back in.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Given what Hill achieved as a fairly mediocre driver, Senna would have likely won at least either the 1994 or 1995 season.

If he then stuck around for 1996, he would have won that too with Villenenuve as a rookie, assuming the world kept turning the same way with driver moves/car strengths. Maybe by 1997 Jacques would have bettered him.
I would sign on this too. I think Villeneuve would have been a much better driver if he would have had a better driver alongside him at Williams, if he'd had Hill or even Senna, he would have to raise his game a lot more, with Frentzen there he didn't have to. Remember, JV was a monster in qualifying early on in 1997 (gap of 1,8s in Melbourne, 0,6s in Brazil, 0,8s in Argentina, 0,3 at Imola).

If Senna would have gotten the hang on the '94 car and could have built on that, him and JV would have been the 90's powerhouse we would remember. Very different personalities, but up to 94/98 they both always delivered.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

As i loved Senna i think between himself and Williams they defo would have won the 1994 title as his incredible understanding of the cars also his engineers would have solved his early season woes BUT it would have been so close possibly Schumachers Black flag at Silverstone costing him the title
Another site gave their thoughts on how many more Ayrton would have won and i agree
results

he would retire at the end of 1999 season
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

sadsac wrote: 3 years ago As i loved Senna i think between himself and Williams they defo would have won the 1994 title as his incredible understanding of the cars also his engineers would have solved his early season woes BUT it would have been so close possibly Schumachers Black flag at Silverstone costing him the title
Another site gave their thoughts on how many more Ayrton would have won and i agree
results

the rest is just some very loose hyptheticals and speculations, but 1994 you can kind of puzzle together, but this ain't it. The Williams he was supposed to drive had mechanical DNF's in 3 more races (Spain, France, Germany), meaning by Spain he would have been 26 points behind Schumacher (if he'd won at Imola and come 2nd at Monaco as that suggests). 32 behind after France. 22 after Germany. So even if he'd ran out of fuel at Monza like Coulthard did, he could have gained enough points by season's end.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Keeping fit enough to handle the g-forces would be the biggest problem .... specially the neck. So says Hulk anyway after only a few months out and continuing to train he said he really suffered when he got back in.
Could see them installing pillows for Istanbul . Been a few years. There and mugello could prove too extreme for these cars
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

The Black Flag at Silverstone wouldn't have happened. Butterfly effect.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Its just sad that we were robbed of such a talented driver as Ayrton and me for one would have loved the battles he possibly could have had with Michael over the remainder of the 1990s :rip:
Alas sadly never got the chance

NathanF11989
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Osterreichring

Post by NathanF11989 »

With due respect, I disagree with the premise that Senna would have been "thrashed" by Schumacher. To be certain, he had a troubled start to the 1994 season - somewhat akin to Mansell in 1991 - with three straight retirements; a spin in Brazil, a first-corner collision at Aida and then, sadly, San Marino. Had he lived, I think he would have been hard-pressed to become champion in 1994, although I think he would have maintained his mastery in Monaco and started his fightback there. From 1995 onwards I think he would have become increasingly difficult to beat. Sadly we can only ever speculate about this, but I see him retiring in 1997 - the same year as his good friend Gerhard Berger - having become champion in 1996 and '97.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Any suggestions for actors in Senna the Netflix series?

What are they doing about the boyfriend? ;)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I dont see the point of it (another Senna movie/series) tbh. It sounds from what I have read that it will be like the last Senna movie... a depiction of Senna as a 'his shit doesn't stink' sort of character where all others are evil and he is a Saint.
As the producers have said,“the type of person we need, a young man that fought for his dream and faced many obstacles in order to represent a nation.” It just sounds cheesey.
The one thing about it is that it is said to not cover his childhood but only covers from 1981 when he arrived in the UK until his death. I guess I watched him race live enough times in those early years of FF2000, and was able to see his career progress, so that side of it might be interesting, but the rest of his career, well I was only interested in watching him during the last few minutes of qualifying. That was special and worth witnessing live.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always