Brabham Galmer, the failed attempt to revive Brabham

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Post Reply
User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5281
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Brabham Galmer, the failed attempt to revive Brabham

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

Came across this just now. Interesting story:
Brabham Galmer, the failed attempt to revive Brabham

The 1992 season in Formula One can be seen as an interesting year. Many teams were trying to qualify their cars and a couple of these teams wouldn’t complete the season. All the while there were many rumours circulating about teams being bought. This is the story of the Brabham team which collapsed after the Hungarian Grand Prix and which was almost taken over by Galmer Engineering. Team Brabham Galmer was a reality, for a couple of months.
Full article: https://www.unracedf1.com/brabham-galme ... g-brabham/

Amazing how often financial shadiness occurs in motorsport.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

White six
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago

Post by White six » 4 months ago

I still think the Brabham name will be revived at some point. Unless Williams or Mclaren go kaput now it's surely the most famous defunct F1 marque?

Perhaps when BMW are swilling with cash again

The rights of the name are back with the family aren't they? Hence the new hyper road car

BMW seem proud of their racing heritage, at least the couple of years in the 80's bit

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 38660
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 4 months ago

Short but interesting story Monte.

The BT60Bs were awful cars, I don't see how they could have been simply upgraded to run the 1993 season with any success.

As for the Brabham name, it's never going to be back in F1. I could see them becoming a name in sports cars with that car they released last year. Has that even raced yet?
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

White six
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago

Post by White six » 4 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
Short but interesting story Monte.

The BT60Bs were awful cars, I don't see how they could have been simply upgraded to run the 1993 season with any success.

As for the Brabham name, it's never going to be back in F1. I could see them becoming a name in sports cars with that car they released last year. Has that even raced yet?
Scheduled for Le Mans 2022. The Brabham name being back in F1? It would only take a phone call from the right person at the right time

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 38660
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 4 months ago

White six wrote:
4 months ago
PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
Short but interesting story Monte.

The BT60Bs were awful cars, I don't see how they could have been simply upgraded to run the 1993 season with any success.

As for the Brabham name, it's never going to be back in F1. I could see them becoming a name in sports cars with that car they released last year. Has that even raced yet?
Scheduled for Le Mans 2022. The Brabham name being back in F1? It would only take a phone call from the right person at the right time
Yeah but who remembers the name well enough to revive it as a successful brand? I would venture that 90% of current F1 fans don't even know the name.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

White six
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago

Post by White six » 4 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
White six wrote:
4 months ago
PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
Short but interesting story Monte.

The BT60Bs were awful cars, I don't see how they could have been simply upgraded to run the 1993 season with any success.

As for the Brabham name, it's never going to be back in F1. I could see them becoming a name in sports cars with that car they released last year. Has that even raced yet?
Scheduled for Le Mans 2022. The Brabham name being back in F1? It would only take a phone call from the right person at the right time
Yeah but who remembers the name well enough to revive it as a successful brand? I would venture that 90% of current F1 fans don't even know the name.
You're probably right about fans, but that figure wouldn't apply to F1 enthusiasts with money. I'd say there's a time limit on it though, and it would run out when all those people who watched Brabhams are pushing up gravel traps

Reading between the lines with a recent interview (David iirc) I think it would have to be a big money, big name approach, but it wasn't ruled out

White six
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago

Post by White six » 4 months ago

As an aside I've just been on the website and bought a rather stylish t shirt. Can't afford a BT62 yet

Interesting that there's absolutely nothing on there from the Bernie years. He holds all the image rights, or they don't want to be associated with that period? The website is all about the family, but you'd think they'd celebrate the 80s. Rather odd

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5281
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

I reckon it would be more likely to see the Cooper name back in F1 than Brabham.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5281
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
The BT60Bs were awful cars, I don't see how they could have been simply upgraded to run the 1993 season with any success.
Well Galmer were doing interesting things in Indycar at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galmer

If the Brabham chassis was half decent underneath (who knows?), maybe they could do something. A front running car would be beyond them though.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
jimclark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 730
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 4 months ago

White six wrote:
4 months ago
Unless Williams or Mclaren go kaput now it's surely the most famous defunct F1 marque?
'Give you that, along with Lotus and Cooper.

Myself, I don't want to see them resurrected (as the "Lotus" name was attempted). 'Rather see them left alone for what they were; not coattails for someone else to ride on. :wink:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 29849
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 months ago

jimclark wrote:
4 months ago
White six wrote:
4 months ago
Unless Williams or Mclaren go kaput now it's surely the most famous defunct F1 marque?
'Give you that, along with Lotus and Cooper.

Myself, I don't want to see them resurrected (as the "Lotus" name was attempted). 'Rather see them left alone for what they were; not coattails for someone else to ride on. :wink:
:agreepost:

This..... What @jimclark said.


Funnily enough I was also thinking about posting to say what about Lotus and Cooper, but I would have thrown BRM on the list as well. And then I thought Vanwall. And Maserati, Lancia and a long list of others. Then I thought well some of those are still around as Brands in the automotive world. But we still have Lotus road car, so it all became too much for me.

In essence I am also in the let bygones be bygones crowd, and I am glad I witnessed some of those great names 'in the flesh' and watched them race in their real days. Im not that interested in seeing those names come back as someone elses brand (like Lotus did.) I would rather see them taken on and upgraded under a different name and identity..... lets not forget that the dominating Mercedes team of today spawned from Tyrrell, via BAR Honda and Brawn. I am glad they are not still hanging on the Tyrrell coat tails. Or Racing Point, Force India/Spyker/Midland/Jordan.

Tyrrell was Ken Tyrrell and his people. Lotus was Colin Chapman and Peter Warr. In the same way Brabham was Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac, with a shade of Bernie thrown in. I like each team to have their own identity.
History is what it is. To be remembered and cherished or learnt from.

*Sebastian, Lance is faster than you... do you understand?*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5281
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

With Cooper I was alluding to the Mini Cooper angle. At least there's a current hook to hang your hat on.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

Post Reply