Info on the Toyota 7?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
joshuaprematta

Info on the Toyota 7?

Post by joshuaprematta »

Hello all.

Currently, I've been trying to gather some information regarding the infamous Toyota 7 578A project. I've been searching the internet far and wide for months looking for some technical information so I can replicate the car in Assetto Corsa, to little benefit. After searching through the majority of Japanese and US Google to find information, and was only met with basic figures such as wheelbase, track, and I also did find what could possibly be the correct gear ratios.
Length: 3750 mm
Width: 2040 mm
Height: 840 mm
Track: 1468 / 1480 mm
Wheelbase: 2350 mm
Weight: 620 kg
Power: ~820 hp at the wheel
1000+ in quali trim at the wheel

Gearbox Ratios:
1st: 2.795
2nd: 1.789
3rd: 1.258
4th: 0.937
5th: 0.741
Final: 4.285

Fuel Consumption:
Since the total length of the course (Suzuka) is 5.807km, 7.25kg will be consumed in one lap.
kg-m at rpm: 74/7600

(front) rim width 11in / diameter 15in, (rear) rim width 16in / diameter 15in
[Tire] Firestone Indy, (front) 4.30 / 12.25-15, (rear) 5.30 / 17.00-15
I was also able to find the thoughts of Allan McNish on how the car drove during the 2002 Goodwood FoS:
“There was no real throttle control, it was either on or off,”
He went on to say that the brakes were rudimentary at best and he lacked confidence that they would stop the car in time to get round the first corner on the hill climb
I have compiled a multitude of images to help model the Toyota 7 to the best of my ability, but I haven't been able to decipher the text on the numbers for the oil and water temps that flank both sides of the tach. The full catalogue of images can be found here. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1skUko ... AaLtCdweHR)

I've reached out to TMG in Cologne in hopes of seeing if I could purchase a workshop manual, and the man who responded said he was meeting someone from Japan in the coming weeks that might know what I can do.

I do apologize if this comes off as demanding, but if anyone knows any additional information, or know where I can go to get it, I will be forever grateful!

Last edited by joshuaprematta 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

joshuaprematta wrote: 4 years agoI do apologize if this comes off as demanding, but if anyone knows any additional information, or know where I can go to get it, I will be forever grateful!
There is a Toyota 7 at the Toyota Museum in Aichi, Japan. I live in Japan. Unfortunately it would cost me about $200 to get there and back...

I will see if I can find anything else in Japanese.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
joshuaprematta

Post by joshuaprematta »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
There is a Toyota 7 at the Toyota Museum in Aichi, Japan. I live in Japan. Unfortunately it would cost me about $200 to get there and back...

I will see if I can find anything else in Japanese.
I am aware about the one example in the Toyota Museum, I can also request Toyota to send some stock images of any of the vehicles on display. The 7 as listed as in the 'backyard' - whatever that gets translated from, so I do not know if that means I can request images of it. The catch with this is that I need to use it for some sort of press article advertising the museum to pretty much bring forward publicity for the museum.
There's possibly an example housed in the Louwman in the Netherlands. The last image I've seen of it there was in 2016. I have a friend who can find out if it is there and take pictures, which would be about $50 to do.

https://toyota-automobile-museum.jp/arc ... tml?id=106

There's also a 'secret' warehouse belonging to TRD in Yokohama that I believe houses 2, one NA and one Turbo. The main catch with that is that I'm not sure if they'll even allow people in. I may not know much about this facility in general, but this is what I would guess to be the best chance at getting a workshop manual. I cannot find a way to contact them for the life of me, though.

http://motorchrono.com/inside-trds-secret-warehouse/
Faking it until he's making it
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I could not see a TS7 in the collection.... just the later TS10 (1983). The Toyota 7 I think was back c 1968.

Regardless of that what a stunning collection. Must be worth hundreds of millions. Thanks for the link.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Toyota 7 cars were raced since 1968 to 1970, but their development was stopped after two testing fatalities - Yukio Fukuzawa at Fukuroi in 1969 and Minoru Kawai at Suzuka in 1970. Maybe Toyota don't want to reveal more about this car and its history because of great scandal followed Fukuzawa and Kawai deaths which forced project to be abandoned.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/type/Toyota/7.html
https://www.racingsportscars.com/suffix ... %20II.html
joshuaprematta

Post by joshuaprematta »

Toyota only updated their website within the week, and they had no mention of the Toyota 7 on there before the update. I’m hopeful that the Louwman is the same case
I think was back c 1968.
The first Toyota 7 was the 415S in 1968, the 474S that won the Fuji 1000kms, whereas the 578A was 1970 and didn’t get to race before it was axed.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

joshuaprematta wrote: 4 years agoThe 7 as listed as in the 'backyard' - whatever that gets translated from, so I do not know if that means I can request images of it. The catch with this is that I need to use it for some sort of press article advertising the museum to pretty much bring forward publicity for the museum.
I discovered that "backyard" means it is not out on permanent display and it only comes out on special occasions. Apparently, customers can vote for the 10 or so backyard cars they would like to see at the next event.

As far as car/engine modelling goes - this sounds like a wild idea, but have you considered looking at Gran Turismo games? The car is modelled in GT4. GT5 and GT6 and there are power curves on the setup menu. I doubt they managed to get the REAL car on the dyno but it wouldn't be unreasonable to imagine Toyota providing the data to the game makers.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

joshuaprematta

Post by joshuaprematta »

I've already looked through the Gran Turismo data, that's where I got the gear ratios. When it comes to suspension, Gran Turismo's suspension tuning is a little funky, where things like the ARBs are rated from 0-10, rather than the actual stiffness. I do have a screenshot of the baseline suspension setup, and will use what I can of it. I found the model as well, and I used it to get a very basic shape done so photos will line up easily.

I also did a little more research on that TRD Station in Yokohama. Every source I've seen is that at least 2 7s are there, and only 4 or so people located at the station. They are a "designated service shop for the Toyota 2000GT and other models." I have yet to find a way to reach out to them apart from this address:
800 Morooka-cho, Kouhoku-ku
Yokohama, Kanagawa 222-0002

Google Maps show nothing, but this is most likely the best bet of getting anything from Toyota themselves. If I had the patience to find the warehouse without any leads, there's a giant TRD logo on the roof of the facility.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

joshuaprematta wrote: 4 years ago I've already looked through the Gran Turismo data, that's where I got the gear ratios. When it comes to suspension, Gran Turismo's suspension tuning is a little funky, where things like the ARBs are rated from 0-10, rather than the actual stiffness. I do have a screenshot of the baseline suspension setup, and will use what I can of it. I found the model as well, and I used it to get a very basic shape done so photos will line up easily.
Check out other similar cars from the era and make your guess. It's unlikely you would find one team running 100kg rear springs, another running 250kg and another running 600kg. Almost all cars would likely be running within 25-50kg of each other, especially if the cars/engines were of similar weights. As for rollbar stiffness itself - the only way to calculate with those kinds of cars is just to measure the rollbar dimensions. If you have the dimensions / approximate dimensions from photos you can kind of calculate.

Btw here's your TRD Station: https://goo.gl/maps/vHX6YJqj9YWz3R15A

It looks like they only held one off events there in 2016-17 and maybe '18, but not last year. Most of those cars (vintage rally and sportscars) are actually exhibited at the History Garage in Odaiba, Tokyo now and I have never seen the Toyota 7 there. However it looks like it has been: http://mithunonthe.net/2016/10/31/japan ... venusfort/

I'll keep an eye out.

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
joshuaprematta

Post by joshuaprematta »

The Toyotas got featured in the AUTOMOBLSPORT magazine a couple of years ago.
Good call! I've placed an order on the latter of the two issues. Hopefully it can be of some use when it gets here! :thumbsup:
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

joshuaprematta wrote: 4 years ago
The Toyotas got featured in the AUTOMOBLSPORT magazine a couple of years ago.
Good call! I've placed an order on the latter of the two issues. Hopefully it can be of some use when it gets here! :thumbsup:
#4 was the one I started with. Good read. :thumbsup:
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
Musto

Post by Musto »

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."