Page 1 of 2

Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:33 am
by Antonov
We know that Jarno Trulli went back to his wine plantations, that Jamie Alguesuari pursued a career in modern sounds, that Jody Scheckter has his own farm, and that Zanardi does things one can only admire.

Other drivers you can think of that are no longer around fixtures in the F1 paddock, and have moved on to other things?

I came across this of Frentzen recently:


Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 19:08 pm
by John
Frentzen IS David Duchovny.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 20:42 pm
by kals
John wrote:
7 months ago
Frentzen IS David Duchovny.
Image

BTW, his 1997 and 1998 team mate currently races in the Scandinavian Porsche Carrera Cup.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 00:26 am
by PTRACER
Eddie Irvine is doing absolutely great.
Former Formula One driver Eddie Irvine (52) raced for Jordan, Ferrari and Jaguar and won four Grand Prix. He turned to full-time property developing when his motorsport career finished in 2002 after making an estimated €45m from the sport. He has since invested large amounts in property and other developments as far afield as Miami, where he sold three luxury homes for €27m in 2013, and Northern Ireland. In 2018, he opted to rent out one $21m Miami Beach home for a reported $180,000 a month. He bought an island in the Bahamas and the nearby Exuma Yacht Club in 2011 and is reported to have invested $10m (€8.8m) into turning it into a luxury resort.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 02:22 am
by Everso Biggyballies
PTRACER wrote:
7 months ago
Eddie Irvine is doing absolutely great.
Former Formula One driver Eddie Irvine (52) raced for Jordan, Ferrari and Jaguar and won four Grand Prix. He turned to full-time property developing when his motorsport career finished in 2002 after making an estimated €45m from the sport. He has since invested large amounts in property and other developments as far afield as Miami, where he sold three luxury homes for €27m in 2013, and Northern Ireland. In 2018, he opted to rent out one $21m Miami Beach home for a reported $180,000 a month. He bought an island in the Bahamas and the nearby Exuma Yacht Club in 2011 and is reported to have invested $10m (€8.8m) into turning it into a luxury resort.
Eddie is now worth US$120 million

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am
by Antonov
seems to be good at selling empty boxes.

kudos to him though, for selling himself as such a top driver for Jaguar.

Image

Image

funny how the 1997 and 2001 podium were exactly the same, but then again, not exactly, but then again yes :jaw:

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 17:54 pm
by kals
During his time at Jaguar, Irvine was one of the highest paid employees at Ford Motor Company. That didn't go down too well with then CEO Jacques Nasser who wanted to know why a "Edmund Irvine" was earning nearly as much as he was.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 18:26 pm
by John
kals wrote:
7 months ago
John wrote:
7 months ago
Frentzen IS David Duchovny.
Image

BTW, his 1997 and 1998 team mate currently races in the Scandinavian Porsche Carrera Cup.
Not full time, he rode the invitational VIP entry for one or two rounds (I'm sure @Cheeveer can elaborate on the details). Felix Rosenqvist, Björn Wirdheim and a few other notables have driven that car as well.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 20:10 pm
by kals
Björn Wirdheim = notable

Hmmmm ok :tongue:

Thanks for the detail. The articles that mentioned JV racing the Carrera Cup made it appear as though it was a full time ride.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 03:12 am
by Michkov
kals wrote:
7 months ago
Björn Wirdheim = notable
It takes extraordinary skill top loose Monaco like he did.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 09:27 am
by Cheeveer
John wrote:
7 months ago
kals wrote:
7 months ago
BTW, his 1997 and 1998 team mate currently races in the Scandinavian Porsche Carrera Cup.
Not full time, he rode the invitational VIP entry for one or two rounds (I'm sure @Cheeveer can elaborate on the details). Felix Rosenqvist, Björn Wirdheim and a few other notables have driven that car as well.
IIRC they have one invitational car each round (Mads Östberg have driven it at times too), if they can't find someone ...n0tAbL3~, they'll get a driver coach like Jacques Villeneuve. Because he's a driver coach at Porsche nowadays.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:57 pm
by John
kals wrote:
7 months ago
Björn Wirdheim = notable

Hmmmm ok :tongue:

Thanks for the detail. The articles that mentioned JV racing the Carrera Cup made it appear as though it was a full time ride.
You have to remember that we're talking about the Swedish racing scene here. :haha: Björn IS a notable figure, he's won the F3000 title, tested for BAR and Jaguar, raced Super Formula and IndyCar (=Champcar). And does the Swedish F1 broadcasts. He's like Swedish racing royalty in our small pond.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 18:57 pm
by kals
John wrote:
7 months ago
kals wrote:
7 months ago
Björn Wirdheim = notable

Hmmmm ok :tongue:

Thanks for the detail. The articles that mentioned JV racing the Carrera Cup made it appear as though it was a full time ride.
You have to remember that we're talking about the Swedish racing scene here. :haha: Björn IS a notable figure, he's won the F3000 title, tested for BAR and Jaguar, raced Super Formula and IndyCar (=Champcar). And does the Swedish F1 broadcasts. He's like Swedish racing royalty in our small pond.
Wirdheim was a decent talent and during his junior career there was a lot of positive talk about him. Then his career turned into a case of wrong place wrong time:

Champion in F3000 during it's lean final two years (and arguably his 2002 season was much more impressive against greater competition)
Jaguar test driver when the team was on the verge of pulling out of F1
ChampCar with an underfunded team during the series decline

And only really remembered for that Monaco incident.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 00:40 am
by PTRACER
Wirdheim's career is definitely a would-have, could-have, should-have kind of affair.

Now look at someone like Stephane Sarrazin...The first time I became aware of him was the Brazilian GP in 1999, where he did the fastest donuts I've ever seen, with one half of his car missing. 20 years later, he has six Le Mans 24h podiums, two Le Mans Series championships victories, won the 2014 Tour de Course rally and raced WRC, Formula E and V8 Supercars. That's a pretty awesome career if you ask me.

Re: Where are they now - life after motorsport

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 06:30 am
by DoubleFart
Yep, Sarrazin was screwed by Prost - Minardi wanted to keep him on but Prost said don't do it and we'll guarantee you a drive for 2000.