Which butchered circuit do you miss the most?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Re: Which butchered circuit do you miss the most?

Post by kals » 1 week ago

Latest post of the previous page:

For me Silverstone was butchered from 1994 onward. For a lot of people it was butchered the time the Woodcote chicane was first installed. I get Paul's point on Spa. While the circuit is almost untouched the swaths of tarmac run-off have taken away it's soul.

SB83
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Nordschelife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Suzuki Ritz (Splash), Ford Ecosport

Post by SB83 » 1 week ago

For me, Silverstone was butchered after they got rid of Bridge corner in the most recent reconfiguration. From Bridge to Priory was the most exhilarating part of the track for me. Trulli's accident there in 2004 showed how high the consequences were for getting it wrong. Now, it's just a no-identity flat section that looks like any other part of the track.

And you need a few corners like that. Where all but the greatest drivers pretty much resign themselves to driving it at 9/10 or else crash like Trulli. Pre-2005 130R at Suzuka was another like that, but they made it lame after the MotoGP fatality there. Same of course, goes for bends like Pouhon at Spa, thanks to the asphalt runoff instead of gravel.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 1 week ago

SB83 wrote:
1 week ago
For me, Silverstone was butchered after they got rid of Bridge corner in the most recent reconfiguration. From Bridge to Priory was the most exhilarating part of the track for me. Trulli's accident there in 2004 showed how high the consequences were for getting it wrong. Now, it's just a no-identity flat section that looks like any other part of the track.
I got to race on that layout just before they closed it. Honestly, coming out of the Abbey Chicane, down the little hill under the bridge, it was such an amazing view.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003

Post by erwin greven » 1 week ago

Silverstone was already butchered before. When they build in the Woodcote (Scheckter)-chicane in 1974.

But even today i like the modern layout of Silverstone. The only track i still can not stand is the modern Hockenheim.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.