Ranking Senna's F1 cars

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Ranking Senna's F1 cars

Post by PTRACER »

Thread Rules

1. We will discuss the ranking of ONE CAR at a time.
2. Please reply to the newest posts, NOT the older ones.
3. See Post #2 of this thread for the rank. I will continuously edit as the discussion evolves.
4. At the end, we'll discuss all the cars as a group, make sure we're happy and then settle the final order.

I otherwise have no idea how this thread will go or how long to focus on each car, so let's just begin!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Full Size)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Tags)
@Everso Biggyballies @kals @Antonov @John @MonteCristo @Michael Ferner @DoubleFart @erwin greven @Cheeveer @caneparo @Michkov @Circuitmaster @Picci @JBT
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Current Rank

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

As with Autosport.com, I have decided to begin with the worst cars and I have decided the Tolemans Senna drove in 1984 should go right at the bottom of the pile.

Does anyone have any objections to that? Is there another car that was 'worse' than these two in Senna's career?

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Can't argue with that, they were certainly the least competitive.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

No argument from me, I'm more interested what the next one will be though
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

The 183 was a terrible car, with the handicap of being years old. At least senna made 3 podiums on the 184
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Alright, I think we're happy with the Tolemans at the bottom then!

So, what goes above the Tolemans as the next worst car? Personally, I nominate the 1992 McLaren:

The car was unreliable, breaking down on a number of occasions and overall, it had no real hope of challenging the Williams.

The only genuine victory Senna picked up was at the Hungaroring. He only won at Monaco by blocking Mansell in the final laps and at Monza because the Williams both retired.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Probably agree with that.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Mp4/8 had a customer engine which was nowhere from the renault but senna was so good to make memorable wins with it
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

caneparo wrote: 5 years ago Mp4/8 had a customer engine which was nowhere from the renault but senna was so good to make memorable wins with it
Where would you rank the MP4/7 (1992)? Surely it is the worst McLaren he drove.

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I like this thread!
So far I don't agree. The Lotus 97T should go in 3rd to bottom spot. We get lost in rose-colored glasses when thinking about Senna's early years. The reliability and performance of the Lotus at that time was pretty bad. 7 retirements in 16 races made this car his 3rd biggest letdown. We get this 1985 season clouded with an upcoming Senna showing brilliance in a mid-to-rear-pack car and tend to look back on 97T as a decent platform when we should not.

The disappointment with the MP4/7 is mostly from lagging in the technology race with Williams. It was McLaren (the reigning WCC) unable to develop a decent active suspension system that put them out of contention. The Honda engine was fast and may have even been faster in 1992 than the William Renault, but the overall performance of the William active suspension chassis was far superior to anything in the field. I would also like to think (but I have no data here) that the unreliability of the MP4/7 was due to the suspension experiments and McLaren pushing to compensate with the Williams superiority more than it was an abject failure of the Honda engine or the McLaren chassis by itself in a straight fight.

The way I see it: Lotus 99T > McLaren MP4/7A & B > Lotus 98T > Lotus 97T > Tolemanses

Fix it, please.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
caneparo wrote: 5 years ago Mp4/8 had a customer engine which was nowhere from the renault but senna was so good to make memorable wins with it
Where would you rank the MP4/7 (1992)? Surely it is the worst McLaren he drove.
Right after the mp4/8 :)
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I don't just rank cars by the points they scored or didn't score, to me I have a certain affection to some cars, and thus I'll rank them higher than others. Thus I'd rate the TG-184 higher than, say, the 1987 Lotus or 1992 McLaren solely because that's the car he made a real name for himself with. I'll happily stick the TG-183 at the bottom of the pile, though. I'd perhaps even have the TG-184 in the top-5 solely because of this.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

XcraigX wrote: 5 years ago I like this thread!
So far I don't agree. The Lotus 97T should go in 3rd to bottom spot. We get lost in rose-colored glasses when thinking about Senna's early years. The reliability and performance of the Lotus at that time was pretty bad. 7 retirements in 16 races made this car his 3rd biggest letdown. We get this 1985 season clouded with an upcoming Senna showing brilliance in a mid-to-rear-pack car and tend to look back on 97T as a decent platform when we should not.

The disappointment with the MP4/7 is mostly from lagging in the technology race with Williams. It was McLaren (the reigning WCC) unable to develop a decent active suspension system that put them out of contention. The Honda engine was fast and may have even been faster in 1992 than the William Renault, but the overall performance of the William active suspension chassis was far superior to anything in the field. I would also like to think (but I have no data here) that the unreliability of the MP4/7 was due to the suspension experiments and McLaren pushing to compensate with the Williams superiority more than it was an abject failure of the Honda engine or the McLaren chassis by itself in a straight fight.

The way I see it: Lotus 99T > McLaren MP4/7A & B > Lotus 98T > Lotus 97T > Tolemanses

Fix it, please.
I have to disagree here, the 97T should be above the 98T. Both cars were capable of winning but the 98T was a lot less reliable then the 97T, hence the 97T>98T. I'm still unsure if the 99T should go in front of the 98T or not, because the car was a reliable midfield runner, bit disappointing, but it could finish a race. And then the MP4/7 is pretty much around the 99T, I'd put it above it by the fact that the Lotus was 3rd in the WCC and the McLaren 2nd.
Also it's not that the MP4/7 is a bad car, it came in 2nd in the WCC after all. It's just that the Mclarens tail off as we enter the 90s with the MP4/7 being the worst of the bunch.
John wrote: 5 years ago I don't just rank cars by the points they scored or didn't score, to me I have a certain affection to some cars, and thus I'll rank them higher than others. Thus I'd rate the TG-184 higher than, say, the 1987 Lotus or 1992 McLaren solely because that's the car he made a real name for himself with. I'll happily stick the TG-183 at the bottom of the pile, though. I'd perhaps even have the TG-184 in the top-5 solely because of this.
We are ranking cars not drivers, the driver is a constant in all off this.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago
I have to disagree here, the 97T should be above the 98T. Both cars were capable of winning but the 98T was a lot less reliable then the 97T,
The 97T had more retirements for Senna (at 7). The 98T has fewer retirements for Senna and vastly improved results/wins (2 wins and 7 podium places). It only had more retirements for his team mate in that year. So was that down to the car or Johnny Dumfries? I tend to think it was Dumfries (the 7th Marquess of Bute), who was a midfield racer on a good day. I'm sticking with my original assessment: the 97T goes in 10th place and the 98T goes in 9th. However, I'm on the fence on if the MP4/7 slots into 8th with the 99T in 7th, or vice-versa.
Last edited by XcraigX 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: