Hill - the deserved 1994 champion

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago
Antonov wrote: 5 years ago Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

What happened at Japan 1994?
The unthinkable.... Hill beat Schumacher, despite Schu being on pole. :wink: (closing the gap to one point at the top)

As an aside the race was red flagged when Brundle had his shunt, was later restarted and the race decided on aggregate times. (Schu was 6.8 secs ahead at the red flag, but lost by over 10 secs.) The last race to be decided that way.
You spoiled my fun. I wanted @Antonov to post that.

That was a pretty incredible win by Hill. Easily one of if not the best of his career.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The unthinkable.... Hill beat Schumacher, despite Schu being on pole. :wink: (closing the gap to one point at the top)

That was a pretty incredible win by Hill. Easily one of if not the best of his career.
I had given up on waiting for @Antonov :wink:
(But in case he had forgotten what happened I felt obligated to remind him. :tongue: )

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I had given up on waiting for @Antonov :wink:
(But in case he had forgotten what happened I felt obligated to remind him. :tongue: )
Very tough conditions too, even Schumacher's traction control had a hard time that day.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

ha. True, Hill kept it on the road and did a rather ok job that day.

but the red flag, and superior Williams strategy, is the only reason why Hill won that day.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago ha. True, Hill kept it on the road and did a rather ok job that day.

but the red flag, and superior Williams strategy, is the only reason why Hill won that day.
What superior strategy?

You mean losing time in the pits with a stuck rear wheel and choosing not to change it, thus completing the race on unbalanced tyres was intentional?
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years agoAnyway, Schumacher not being champion in 1994 would have been a farce: he was miles ahead, and even after unrightful disqualifications and exclusions, Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.
Which disqualifications were unrightful?
@Antonov??
@Antonov??
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

disqualification for outdragging Hill on the start of the warmup lap is a draconian measure. it would be different had he done so several times during the lap. but even then a stop/go would have been a just-er penalty. but no... disqualification, and for half a dozen races as well, so as to artificially create a championship battle which never was in reality.

and don't get me started about Spa 1994. a dominant Schu victory robbed due to a beauty pirouette which slightly moved the plank - wouldnt surprise me if the kerb over which he spun was designed specifically by the FIA to tapper with Schu's victory.

all of these actions so as to create an illusion of a championship battle.

can't say I blame F1 for it though - they could use it after the tragedy early season. but still, Hill was not a challenger to Schumacher on merit in 1994.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago disqualification for outdragging Hill on the start of the warmup lap is a draconian measure. it would be different had he done so several times during the lap. but even then a stop/go would have been a just-er penalty. but no... disqualification, and for half a dozen races as well, so as to artificially create a championship battle which never was in reality.
:roll:

Let's deal in fact, shall we.

Schumacher overtook pole sitter Hill multiple times on the formation lap, which was in contravention of the rule that states the pole sitter would lead and control the field throughout the lap. For that indiscretion Schumacher was given a stop-go penalty. Schumacher was instructed by his team to ignore the penalty. Schumacher was then given a black-flag for not serving the penalty within the required time. Benetton instructed Schumacher to also ignore the black flag and instead serve the original penalty. Schumacher finished 2nd on the road but then disqualified after the race. Both Benetton's and Schumacher's actions throughout the race were deemed so serious that Schumacher was then punished further and banned for two races. He only raced in Germany under appeal.

So no, Schumacher was not disqualified for outdraggin Hill on the start of the warm up lap.
Antonov wrote: 5 years agoand don't get me started about Spa 1994. a dominant Schu victory robbed due to a beauty pirouette which slightly moved the plank - wouldnt surprise me if the kerb over which he spun was designed specifically by the FIA to tapper with Schu's victory.
The damage to the plank that caused Schumacher's disqualification was not consistent with his spin.
Antonov wrote: 5 years agoall of these actions so as to create an illusion of a championship battle.

can't say I blame F1 for it though - they could use it after the tragedy early season. but still, Hill was not a challenger to Schumacher on merit in 1994.
- 'option-13'
- illegally removing filters from refueling equipment
- disregarding race start procedures
- disobeying race stewards
- intentionally taking out title rival to secure championship

Yep, that's quite a merit.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago disqualification for outdragging Hill on the start of the warmup lap is a draconian measure. it would be different had he done so several times during the lap. but even then a stop/go would have been a just-er penalty. but no... disqualification, and for half a dozen races as well, so as to artificially create a championship battle which never was in reality.
:roll:

Let's deal in fact, shall we. (Everso note: :thumbsup: )

Schumacher overtook pole sitter Hill multiple times on the formation lap, which was in contravention of the rule that states the pole sitter would lead and control the field throughout the lap. For that indiscretion Schumacher was given a stop-go penalty. Schumacher was instructed by his team to ignore the penalty. Schumacher was then given a black-flag for not serving the penalty within the required time. Benetton instructed Schumacher to also ignore the black flag and instead serve the original penalty. Schumacher finished 2nd on the road but then disqualified after the race. Both Benetton's and Schumacher's actions throughout the race were deemed so serious that Schumacher was then punished further and banned for two races. He only raced in Germany under appeal.

So no, Schumacher was not disqualified for outdraggin Hill on the start of the warm up lap.
Antonov wrote: 5 years agoand don't get me started about Spa 1994. a dominant Schu victory robbed due to a beauty pirouette which slightly moved the plank - wouldnt surprise me if the kerb over which he spun was designed specifically by the FIA to tapper with Schu's victory.
The damage to the plank that caused Schumacher's disqualification was not consistent with his spin.
Antonov wrote: 5 years agoall of these actions so as to create an illusion of a championship battle.

- 'option-13'
- illegally removing filters from refueling equipment
- disregarding race start procedures
- disobeying race stewards
- intentionally taking out title rival to secure championship

Yep, that's quite a merit.
:agreepost:

A saying comes to mind re @Antonov's post.... lets not spoil a good story for the sake of the truth. :wink:

As Patrick Head said in the non Williams protest thing at Adelaide, If Michael is (morally) happy with the way he won his title so be it. We dont want to win (a title) in the courtroom. :wink:

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

I hear you there, but authorities of F1, like Tom Rubython, agree the penalties handed to Schumacher were too harsh.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lol.... Tom Rubython has never exactly been shy about writing inaccurate stuff for the sake of a story. :wink:
I guess that can be said with all journos and scribes these days though.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

As has been said, Schu was not disqualified for outdragging Hill at the start, but for disobeying the black flag, which is a very serious offence. Also, he did overtake Hill "several times", actually twice iirc, and he wasn't disqualified for half a dozen races, check your math.

That being said, there appears to have been an element of spicing up the championship in all those penalties, to be fair. Overtaking on the parade lap had never been an issue before, even in 1994 and even with Schumacher himself being the culprit - check the very first race of the season, for example. No mistaking, Schu was in the wrong doing it, but the authorities taking note and handing out a stop-go penalty was, well, let's just say unusual. However, the decision by the Benetton management to ignore the black flag was certainly not very clever, to say the very least - it opened the door to all sorts of penalties, and really set off the unpleasant feel that the championship developed in the latter half of the season. You can't blame that on anyone else but Benetton, and Schumacher who should have known what he was getting into - every driver is obliged to know the rules, so there's no excuse, he could have just come in and serve his penalty, and everything would've been fine. He chose not to.

At the time, the penalties seemed harsh, indeed. But in retrospect, with all the facts that have come to light in the meantime, I think Benetton and Schumi came off VERY lightly. This was a blatant try to win a World Championship at any cost, without ANY regard for rules or sportsmanship. These days, we're rather used to that, but in 1994 it was a first.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 years ago
As has been said, Schu was not disqualified for outdragging Hill at the start, but for disobeying the black flag, which is a very serious offence. Also, he did overtake Hill "several times", actually twice iirc, and he wasn't disqualified for half a dozen races, check your math.

That being said, there appears to have been an element of spicing up the championship in all those penalties, to be fair. Overtaking on the parade lap had never been an issue before, even in 1994 and even with Schumacher himself being the culprit - check the very first race of the season, for example. No mistaking, Schu was in the wrong doing it, but the authorities taking note and handing out a stop-go penalty was, well, let's just say unusual. However, the decision by the Benetton management to ignore the black flag was certainly not very clever, to say the very least - it opened the door to all sorts of penalties, and really set off the unpleasant feel that the championship developed in the latter half of the season. You can't blame that on anyone else but Benetton, and Schumacher who should have known what he was getting into - every driver is obliged to know the rules, so there's no excuse, he could have just come in and serve his penalty, and everything would've been fine. He chose not to.

At the time, the penalties seemed harsh, indeed. But in retrospect, with all the facts that have come to light in the meantime, I think Benetton and Schumi came off VERY lightly. This was a blatant try to win a World Championship at any cost, without ANY regard for rules or sportsmanship. These days, we're rather used to that, but in 1994 it was a first.
:agreepost:

Nothing to add.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Lol.... Tom Rubython has never exactly been shy about writing inaccurate stuff for the sake of a story. :wink:
I guess that can be said with all journos and scribes these days though.
well, as the info is printed in a book, I consider it to be correct.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Oh, I have something to add: "This was a blatant try to win a World Championship at any cost, without ANY regard for rules, sportsmanship or the safety and well being of other people, whether directly involved or totally unconnected to their efforts."

:) Better.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago :agreepost:

Nothing to add.
Oh, I have something to add: "This was a blatant try to win a World Championship at any cost, without ANY regard for rules, sportsmanship or the safety and well being of other people, whether directly involved or totally unconnected to their efforts."

:) Better.