[F1] - are you a fan of refueling?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.

Which do you prefer?

refueling
23%
no refueling
77%

Total votes: 13

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'd welcome another tyre manufacturer, but I think the FIA are happy with their 'control tyres' that Pirelli make for them and don't see the need to introduce competition :rockedover:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Thanks PT, also this

I'm all for tyre wars, but for them to work it needs a different testing regulation. Even with Pirelli as sole supplier they struggle to build the tyres to the spec they are asked to. With as little on track testing as there is now there is a risk that we end up with a manufacturers tyres being much better than the other with no way to catch up for the one behind. All they can do at that point is bring their experimental tyres to the races and have them potentially not work or even fail. Why would any company sign up for that. Because the only time we are talking tyres is if they are not working.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

If you are talking of those three examples in isolation then I can understand, but to marry them up and claim that a tyre didn't work and couldn't work is false.

Pirelli were set a mandate by the FIA and they are delivering what they were asked to do. Yes testing is limited so there is some risk, yet it's not as if Pirelli haven't asked the FIA for more track time / testing to improve the understanding of it's product. That's how it is now, it doesn't mean it has to be the same in the future should the FIA choose to allow a second manufacturer in.

Indy 2005 was a one-off. The DNA of the 2005 issues Michelin suffered at Indy trace back to the 2004 event. Previously and following that race, there's been no similar occurrence of a race so vastly affected by a single tyre manufacturer's mistake.

Nurburgring 2005 was fantastic, but I'm not sure it's relevance. Kimi's failure was all to do with two drivers pushing themselves to the limit, making mistakes and one was punished for an error. It wasn't to do with a tyre war as both the McLaren and Renault were on Michelins. At the same time, it's not as if the rules didn't protect Kimi. He was legally allowed to change a damaged tyre on safety grounds. Instead McLaren (and he) chose to stay out and go for the win. They failed. Great gamble, unfortunate ending, fascinating racing.

In 2005 we had some truly great and memorable racing / races. It is one of my favourite seasons of the refueling era. It only lasted one season because Bridgestone and Ferrari weren't happy about the performance disadvantage they had verses Michelin.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I dont trust the FIA, FOM and the teams to come up with a sensible set of rules. There are just to many entities that have a vote in it. Sure in an ideal world they'd come up with sensible rules, but common sense is not something I associate with F1.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago I dont trust the FIA, FOM and the teams to come up with a sensible set of rules. ........., but common sense is not something I associate with F1.
This is where I sit. Too many egos and personal agendas.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Refueling works great in Indycar, but it never introduced the same kind of dynamics in F1. Hard to say why it differs so much. Probably due to tires, and that Indycars used to weigh a lot more. In Indycar it is always a struggle to reach the finish within the allocated fuel load, while in F1 they never had to worry about that.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Indycar, american style racing in general, has more FCY which plays into this as well.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Never was a fan.