Page 2 of 2

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 20:48 pm
by Michkov

Last post from previous page:

PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.
Seems like a perfectly viable option to me. Nordschleife means literally northern loop. The Nürburgring has just made the term it's own over the years, but from a linguistic standpoint there is nothing special about the term Nordschleife.

EDIT:
Should this line:
he entries were to be divided into six classes – VIA and VIA, VIIIA and VIIIB, XA and XB
not be VIA and VIB?

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 21:44 pm
by PTRACER
Thanks for all the corrections :oops:

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 04:49 am
by Andy
Michkov wrote:
2 months ago
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.
Seems like a perfectly viable option to me. Nordschleife means literally northern loop. The Nürburgring has just made the term it's own over the years, but from a linguistic standpoint there is nothing special about the term Nordschleife.

.......
To add to the confusion there used to be the so called 'Betonschleife' as well. :haha:
The proper nouns 'Nordschleife' as well as 'Südschleife' were rather quickly made up to make clear, that a race would only take place in the northern part, the long loop or the in the southern end, the shorter loop. In German, it usually reads 'Nürburgrings Nordschleife' or 'Nürburgrings Südschleife'.
Only on instances when both were combined, the term Nürburgring was used alone. Actually, if you talk about racing on the Nürburgring in German today and if you use the term 'Nordschleife' as a proper noun alone as in 'the 24h race on the Nordschleife' , everyone knows where you are.
You may also find the term 'Südschleife' in these days still but in most cases it is usually just a lightly wrong referral to the GP circuit.

The other thing is translating location names. It can make sense but usually it doesn't. For example, I'm still to find an article (again in German) about Donington where Redgate is called 'rotes Tor', for example. Of course, the location name (Redgate in this case) is used as a proper noun.
According to a mate in Canada, who spent most of the second half of his life as an English teacher, proper nouns do not get translated. And it makes sense. Or would you translate location names such as Hohe Acht, Schwedenkreuz, Döttinger Höhe, Wehrseifen ?

In most English texts I've read on the Nürburgring the Nordschleife gets described as northern loop once or twice and then the proper name gets used again.

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 05:38 am
by PTRACER
Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 06:17 am
by Andy
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?
Yep.
And yeah that's what I meant re Schwalbenschwanz. You give a short description, here Swallow tail, but then you continue to use the proper noun again.

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 06:37 am
by PTRACER
Andy wrote:
2 months ago
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?
Yep.
And yeah that's what I meant re Schwalbenschwanz. You give a short description, here Swallow tail, but then you continue to use the proper noun again.
Well, it's super interesting, because 'gate' in Japanese is "tori". And 'part-time job' in Japanese is 'Arbeit' :haha:

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 am
by Jesper Hvid
You've capitalized the von in von Opel, whenever the name didn't include his first name. I think that's only for when it's at the beginning of a sentence, but it's trivial. The article is absolutely brilliant. Congratulations, and thanks to everyone involved.

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 13:51 pm
by Michael Ferner
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?
But 'Tor' in English is 'goal'... ;)

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 13:53 pm
by Michael Ferner
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Well, it's super interesting, because 'gate' in Japanese is "tori". And 'part-time job' in Japanese is 'Arbeit' :haha:
But 'Arbeit' is a full-time job in German. A part-time job is a 'Job'! :amazed:

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 16:58 pm
by erwin greven
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?
But also how many times Breitscheid is called Adenau-Bridge?

And again, when i watch the English commentators at the 24 hour or VLN races, they make so many mistakes in pointing where they are at the track.

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 13:42 pm
by Michkov
@PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 14:40 pm
by PTRACER
Michkov wrote:
2 months ago
@PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"
Thanks. Got a little excited with my umlauts there.

Re: 1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 18:02 pm
by Andy
PTRACER wrote:
2 months ago
Michkov wrote:
2 months ago
@PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"
Thanks. Got a little excited with my umlauts there.
Nahhh .... After all it is called 'Motörhead' ;) :haha: