Motor Sport Magazine Interviews - Ickx, Redman, Barnard, Bennetts.

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
LegendsOf67
Favourite Motorsport: Sports cars
Favourite Driver: Chris Amon

Motor Sport Magazine Interviews - Ickx, Redman, Barnard, Bennetts.

Post by LegendsOf67 » 8 months ago

Wishing you all a happy new year. See below for links to a couple of Motor Sport magazine interviews.

John Barnard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ApI-2FXd3Y

Alastair Caldwell (from 2016 and specifically dedicated to discussing Hunt and McLaren in 1976 - his account of Ferrari's political manoeuvrings that season are something else!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEKI6FSKDRk

Jacky Ickx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owDHellmGGU

Dick Bennetts (tales of F3 running the likes of Senna, Stefan Johansson, Bertrand Gachot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2hJtlqH9K8

Brian Redman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4scFGovTHIU

Bayer
Favourite Motorsport: Historic
Favourite Driver: Moss
Favourite Circuit: Goodwood

Post by Bayer » 4 days ago

I think Brian Redman was one of the drivers (Porsche 917) in the film 'Le Mans'.
Anyone know who else drove alongside Steve McQueen?

Bayer

I was told in the 1980s that when Brian Redman retired from racing, he ran a Ford showroom / dealership in Bristol, UK - was this correct?

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 days ago

Bayer wrote:
4 days ago
I was told in the 1980s that when Brian Redman retired from racing, he ran a Ford showroom / dealership in Bristol, UK - was this correct?
I dont know about then, but I do know he now lives in Florida, as does his son. They were in the news last week as along with his wife, when Brian was reported missing and unaccounted for in Barbados during the peak of Hurricane Dorian. They were fortunate to survive and are now back in Florida having been rescued by helicopter and rescue planes.

In a short message to Autosport,
Brian Redman said: "We're lucky to make it relatively safe.

"It was an 'interesting' experience that makes you realise how much we take normal things for granted: water, power, communication, a roof over your head. Indeed, life itself! There's unbelievable destruction.

"We were lucky to get out yesterday by helicopter to Treasure Cay and then a plane to Palm Beach."
Brian, at 82, is still a regular participant in many of the major historic meetings of the world.

https://www.historicracingnews.com/Arti ... orian/2786

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 days ago

Bayer wrote:
4 days ago
I think Brian Redman was one of the drivers (Porsche 917) in the film 'Le Mans'.
Anyone know who else drove alongside Steve McQueen?
Yes indeed, Brian was, amongst others.

McQueen had intended to race a Porsche 917 together with Jackie Stewart, but the #26 entry was not accepted. Instead, he is depicted as starting the race in the blue #20 Gulf-Porsche 917K driven by Jo Siffert and Brian Redman. The race-leading white #25 Porsche 917 "Long tail" was piloted by Vic Elford and Kurt Ahrens, Jr..

Although officially Steve McQueen did not actually race at Le Mans it is an oft told tale that he did in fact do a number of laps in the camera car. True or false? Who knows.

David Piper was another driver involved in the production of the film. He crashed a Porsche 917 during the 1970 shooting of the film and lost part of one leg. He continues to race his personal green 917 that he has owned from new, in Historic meetings along with other cars he owns..

The Porsche 908/2 which McQueen had previously co-driven to a second place in the 12 Hours of Sebring was entered in the race by McQueen's Solar Productions, complete with heavy movie cameras capturing actual racing footage. This #29 camera car, which can be briefly seen in the starting grid covered with a black sheet (at approximately 17:51) and again at just before the 79 minute-mark (at 1:18:42) racing past the starting line, was driven by Porsche's Herbert Linge and Jonathan Williams. It travelled 282 laps, or 3,798 kilometres (2,360 miles) and finished the race in 9th position,but it was not classified as it had not covered the required minimum distance due to the stops to change film reels. It did, however, manage to finish 2nd in the P3.0 class.

FYI this might interest you..... "Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans" is a 2015 doco, detailing the actor's quest to make the 1971 film Le Mans.
Here is a copy of the doco. (In English but with Czech subtitles!)

Bayer

Hi Chris, Thank you very much for the update and for posting the documentary - I will certainly be watching it at the weekend.
I vaguely knew Brian Redman's son in the mid-1980s (he was going out with a friend of mine) - he told me that his father had a Ford GT40 on display in the centre of his Ford showroom - it was great for pulling in customers!
Rupert

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 3 days ago

Actually, Brian Redman was caught in that horrible hurricane in the Bahamas (Dorian). People were looking for him and his wife, but luckily he turned up safe when he was evacuated.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 days ago

PTRACER wrote:
3 days ago
Actually, Brian Redman was caught in that horrible hurricane in the Bahamas (Dorian). People were looking for him and his wife, but luckily he turned up safe when he was evacuated.
Read three or four posts up Paul.... :tongue: :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=367676#p367676

LegendsOf67
Favourite Motorsport: Sports cars
Favourite Driver: Chris Amon

Post by LegendsOf67 » 2 days ago

Bayer wrote:
4 days ago
Hi Chris, Thank you very much for the update and for posting the documentary - I will certainly be watching it at the weekend.
My pleasure Rupert, they've got interviews with The Captain and Gil de Ferran if you're interested.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... -talk-show

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... -de-ferran