[YT] 20 years since Spa 1998

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Re: [YT] 20 years since Spa 1998

Post by kals » 4 months ago

Last post from previous page:

erwin greven wrote:
4 months ago
They touched on the entry of the hairpin. And maybe at the exit.
Yes that’s right, but DC never referred to that contact as the cause of his crash.

xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by xavier28 » 4 months ago

Loved that race being a Hill & Jordan fan.
I bet that race would have run behind the safety car in 2018
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix

Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 4 months ago

xavier28 wrote:
4 months ago
I bet that race would have run behind the safety car in 2018
It might have never been started.

What surprises me is they had a safety car start in 1997, when conditions were arguably better.
They then decided for a standing start in 1998, which is I guess OK. But what surprises me most is that they did the restart standing as well.

the 2000 start behind the safety car was an over-precaution.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 4 months ago

Michael Ferner wrote:
4 months ago
PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
The alternative DSF+ version, where you can see Coulthard actually hit the wall. Otherwise the German coverage totally missed the crash and it wasn't seen until a replay was shown:
Interesting, as this clearly shows that there was no car even close to hitting Coulthard, in contrast to what he stated after the crash. Although there must've been contact with Irvine earlier on, I'd say. Not sure whether it was ever revealed what caused this initial accident?

As for rating this race, I am well aware that I'm probably in a minority of one here on this particular forum, but it is surely very close to the absolute bottom in my view of things. I have long held the view that restarting races from scratch is a very, very stupid rule, even if, in a case such as this, there would have been only a dozen cars or so left. But allowing repairs or even spare cars in has led to a very cavalier attitude on the part of the drivers, which was clearly shown a few races earlier in Canada (though it may have been 1999, I'm not really sure), when Alex Wurz caused a very stupid crash with lots of damage, then casually got out of the car and gave an interview for German TV where he showed himself totally unconcerned with the mayhem he had caused, only talking about his chances in the restarted race with his spare car. Never liked the guy, positively hated him after that interview. :annoyed:
I heard a long time ago that DC lost it on a drain cover, which was then either removed, or at least fixed for the following year. That's what I've always believed, since I never heard anything else.

So, you think it's better now there are no spare cars? I think it's been quite detrimental to the sport since they removed them. I would hate to be subjected to another race like Indianapolis 2005 with only a handful of cars in the race from beginning to end, which could easily happen nowadays if we had another Spa 1998 in the future.
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

I don't suppose anyone has this race in broadcast quality in its entirety...?
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 4 months ago

I like how Rosset seems to just plough into it like 'oh sure, ok, I'll just plough into it for good measure'.

Keep an eye on Villeneuve by the way, beautiful start by the Canadian.

erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003

Post by erwin greven » 4 months ago

Antonov wrote:
4 months ago
I like how Rosset seems to just plough into it like 'oh sure, ok, I'll just plough into it for good measure'.
Dutch commentator Olav Mol was less pleased about Rosset's "t-bone". Who drove that Minardi btw? He did the right thing, slowing down and anticipate on the situation in a right manner.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals » 4 months ago

erwin greven wrote:
4 months ago
Antonov wrote:
4 months ago
Dutch commentator Olav Mol was less pleased about Rosset's "t-bone". Who drove that Minardi btw? He did the right thing, slowing down and anticipate on the situation in a right manner.
Probably Esteban Tuero

DoubleFart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 4 months ago

Wikipedia states it was Tuero.

Ralf Schumacher was the luckiest driver in that pile up. Jos Verstappen was probably the most unlucky as he had almost made it through before being clipped and damaged beyond repair.

Michael Ferner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner » 3 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
[So, you think it's better now there are no spare cars? I think it's been quite detrimental to the sport since they removed them. I would hate to be subjected to another race like Indianapolis 2005 with only a handful of cars in the race from beginning to end, which could easily happen nowadays if we had another Spa 1998 in the future.
My beef is not so much the spare cars, but the rule that declares a race stopped during the first two laps null and void. It has led to many drivers taking unreasonable risks at the start, knowing they can always take the restart when things go wrong. Not sure how this is handled today - do they still stop the race, or do they send out the pace car?
Winning isn't everything, but it's somewhat better than finishing second! -- Bruce McLaren