Join us here in ranking Ayrton Senna's Formula 1 cars! viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16038

Anomalous Results

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Anomalous Results

Post by PTRACER » 9 months ago

The video I posted of Damon Hill passing Schumacher for the lead in Hungary driving for Arrows got me thinking about what other anomalous results we’ve seen in F1 and particularly other racing series. What I’m talking about is those moments where unlikely teams/drivers dominated, even just for a race or qualifying session.

1990 Paul Ricard is another obvious one to me - both Leyton House cars dominating much of the race until they faltered.

More recently, I consider Vettel dominating at Monza in the Toro Rosso and Fisichella doing so well in the Force India at Spa in 2009 as being anomalous. That’s probably the last time anything like that happened.

Any other examples, particularly in other series?
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

Puhis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis » 9 months ago

Very interesting topic, Paul. A few examples immediately spring to mind from the world of rallying:

Henri Toivonen won the 1980 RAC Rally with a Group 2 Talbot Sunbeam Lotus. This was during an era when Group 4 cars were thought of as "unbeatable." He was also the last person to win the RAC Rally with a two-wheel drive car; 1981 onwards saw the rise of Audi Quattros and later other four-wheel drive vehicles to the top of rallying leaderboards. Also, Henri was by far from a favourite back then, as he was just a 24-year old driver and still best known as the son of Pauli Toivonen. Of course, that would change in the years to come, before his career was tragically cut short in that fateful day at Corsica.

Another perhaps unexpected result was Philippe Bugalski achieving two overall victories in 1999. Surprising they were for two reasons: Firstly, Bugalski had never won a WRC event before, and secondly, they were achieved with a front-wheel drive Citroën Xsara Kit Car! To top it off, those events were triumphed in succession: First Rally Catalunya in late April, and then Tour de Corse in early May. Granted, both were tarmac rallies, hence the "perhaps" part: The nimbler kit car suit those tight and twisty mountain roads far better than the heavier, bulkier four-wheel drive WRC machinery of the time. It also caused quite an uproar at the time, as some of the teams were unhappy to see a kit car taking precious points away from the championship contenders. F2-classed vehicles weren't at the time eligible for them anyway, so it was seen as "unnecessary."

Not sure if the Lancia/Walter Röhrl masterclass at 1983 Acropolis Rally should count. On one hand, the 037 was a known quantity and one of the most successful rally cars of its era. But they were faced off against the four-wheel drive Audis, which were heavy favourites leading up to the event which would take place on narrow and extremely treacherous Greek gravel roads. The result, therefore, was certainly a surprise. But an anomaly? Well, not quite. Still worthy of a mention, in my opinion.

I'll perhaps dig up some archives one day and try to find more. But until then, those are my contributions from that side.

Does 1995 Le Mans and McLaren F1 GTR winning overall count? And of course, Keke Rosberg at the absolutely soaked 1978 Silverstone International Trophy with the underpowered and underdeveloped Theodore should also be up there, even if it was a non-championship race.
"Yup, there is no doubt that Joonas marches to the beat of a different drummer. I think his goal may be to be the next Murray Walker."

- Jack Ulstad, on iRacing.com forums

theracer120
Staff
Staff

Post by theracer120 » 9 months ago

If John Love had actually won South Africa in 1967 then that would be probably the greatest anomalous win in history.

In NASCAR, Trevor Bayne's Daytona 500 win in 2011 with the Wood Brothers team was a perfect example. He was a part time rookie driver driving for a legendary team that hadn't had a win in a long time and to date it is his only win in Cup. He's gone on to do three full time seasons since and has never won a race or finished in the top 20 in points, and is now back to being a part-timer.

Derrike Cope's 1990 Daytona 500 win is another good one when you consider he's had a top level career spanning over 35 years and only had two wins. I'm not sure if the Indy 500 has ever had a particularly unlikely winner.

EB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by EB » 9 months ago

John Cannon's CanAm win at Laguna Seca.

Moss in the OSCA at Sebring.

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 9 months ago

Nelson Philippe's one and only Champ Car win at Surfers in 2006. In fact, I think it was his only win in any openwheel car.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals » 9 months ago

MonteCristo wrote:
9 months ago
Nelson Philippe's one and only Champ Car win at Surfers in 2006. In fact, I think it was his only win in any openwheel car.
Same could be said for Carlos Huertas and his Indycar win at Houston in 2014. In his junior career he'd stood on the podium but only a few times.

sadsac
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Leon, MG zs

Post by sadsac » 9 months ago

I have a few
Olivier Panis at the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix , the dominance of william's pairing it seemed a forgone conclusion

The Brawn team as there last second entry to the 2009 season , any sane person would said they probably would not finish a race
let alone dominate the season and win championship (constructors and drivers)

Johhny Herbert 1991 Le-Mans 24hr Mazda 787B considering they were 12 seconds of the pace in Qualifying
It was supposed to be a Sauber - Mercedes , Peugout or Jaguar at the top step of the podium but no as they all faltered Mazda plugged away to get a famous victory for the rotary engined outfit

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 9 months ago

Heikki Kovalainen taking his only F1 win at the 2008 Hungarian GP when Massa had a late race engine failure.
Full story viewtopic.php?p=342112#p342112

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003

Post by erwin greven » 9 months ago

Pastor Maldonado winning the 2012 Spanish GP.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 9 months ago

Brambilla's win at a sodden Österreichring in 1975 springs to mind, even though the March was somewhat competitive that season.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus » 9 months ago

John Watson winning on the Österreiching in 1976 and Alan Jones doing the same a year later in unfancied machines. Watson had a couple of podiums before his win, but a win seemed unlikely.

Baghetti winning his first offical Grand Prix in 1961 could also classify for this thread.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 9 months ago

Love what I'm reading so far. What was special about the two you mentioned @EB ?

Another I remembered was Matt Neal's first BTCC win as a privateer. That was massive (and so was his cheque).
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 9 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
9 months ago
Love what I'm reading so far. What was special about the two you mentioned @EB ?
I cant answer the Cannon one @EB posted, but Moss (and co driver whose name escapes me) in the Osca won the Sebring 12 hour race in the Osca, despite it being only a 1.5 litre car against the might of Lancia, Ferrari Aston Martin Austin Healeys, Maseratis etc, driven by the likes of Fangio and Ascari amongst other notables of the era....who all broke down or got DSQd for various reasons. The relatively tiny Osca had brilliant handling and Moss with his co driver used that although they had troubles with brakes and to slow threw the car sideways into corners to scrub speed.

Edit: I found these two short clips on youtube and a pic of the car at Sebring:

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals » 9 months ago

erwin greven wrote:
9 months ago
Pastor Maldonado winning the 2012 Spanish GP.
:agreepost:

Failed to score a single point in the following 9 races. Probably one of the most infuriating factors of 2012 for squandering very good equipment by over driving.

Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 9 months ago

palmer 6th in Singapore 2017