Damon Hill says "Schumacher had unfair advantage"

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Damon Hill says "Schumacher had unfair advantage"

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

Well, he talks about this in his book, the years of Schumacher's dominance with ferrari, "Schumacher had some kind of unfair advantage and the world was wrong" what do you think it was that unfair advantage?
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Well, the close commercial arrangement between Ferrari and Bridge stone plus the limitless testing ensured Bridgestone made tyres for all based on Ferraris requirements.

Other controversial aspects such as the unwavering #1 position in the team, by no means illegal in basis of he was contractually the undisputed #1 with the likes of Barrichello ordered to allow Michael to pass.... it was a team decision, although clearly their strategies often took the piss out of the no team order rules. But there are always ways to circumvent team orders that all teams were at times guilty of.

Let us not forget that a lot of Ferrari's dominance was not down to Michael alone, rather the result of a super strong team of individuals assembled with a no budget limitation approach, from design through to the engine builders, engineers, strategists et al, assembled by Jean Todt. It was these combined skills within the team that allowed Michael to maximise his undoubted talent.

But, most of all the collaboration between Ferrari and Bridgestone gave enormous advantage to Ferrari, one certainly not enjoyed by or offered to other Bridgestone users who had to in effect adaprt their cars to the tyres. Ferrari enjoyed tyres created for their car.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I thought this would be another rant on Benetton using traction control in 1994.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

More talent.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

it still angers me how Barrichello was ordered to move over for Schumacher in Austria 2001.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

John wrote: 6 years ago I thought this would be another rant on Benetton using traction control in 1994.
MotorsportMagazine wrote:How a Pembrey test stoked traction control suspicions
by Web Editor on 7th February 2018

Dickie Stanford and Jonathan Williams describe, for the first time, how the Benetton F1 team aroused suspicion that it was using traction control, from the Motor Sport podcast in association with Mercedes-Benz

Controversy has raged for nearly 25 years over the 1994 Formula 1 season, as Benetton was accused of using traction control on its way to the title. Dickie Stanford, general manager of Williams Heritage and former race mechanic to Nigel Mansell, and Jonathan Williams, who oversees the Heritage department, told Motor Sport that Benetton may have given the game away at Pembrey that year.

“Ayrton [Senna] was convinced that [Benetton] was doing something, and we [at Williams] were as well,” said Stanford. "I know the engine note was recorded and everything, [but] I don't know whether [Williams] took it to the FIA, I don't know. I know they recorded it because we still record engine notes now.”

“You can tell a lot [from engine notes],” said Jonathan Williams. “I got a job as a gofer in 1994 for a Formula 3000 team called Madgwick that year, which was running two cars in the International series and one car in the British [series]. We did a couple of preseason tests and we went down to Pembrey sometime in the March or April of 1994 and we were there for two days on a Thursday or Friday and somebody from Pembrey told us: “Uh, Benetton is here tomorrow because it needs somewhere [to test].

“It must have been in between the [Pacific] Grand Prix at Aida, the race at which Ayrton observed what he considered was traction control, (when he was when he was forced to watch from the race room after the collision at the start) and Imola, because it was JJ Lehto coming back to replace Jos Verstappen for the third race. (It was Lehto’s race seat – he'd injured himself preseason).

“So we were at Pembrey in our trucks, camped out on the pit apron, and Benetton did turn up that night and went into the scrutineering hut in the centre of the track. So, apart from knowing there were two teams on site, you weren't seeing each other. On Friday, somebody from Benetton who I didn't know came down to us and said, “What's your program for the afternoon? We'd like to do some start practice and you're on the pitstraight, so we'd like to do some start practice right in front of you.”

“We said, “Actually, we've got a bit of a [free] slot then,” and so we all went on the pitwall and watched it. I'm not going to name names but a Madgwick mechanic, who then went on to be a hugely successful systems engineer for two Formula 1 teams, both during their championship-winning periods, said to me: “Just look at the tire marks and listen.” He was educating me on traction control.

“What really, in hindsight, rammed it home to me was when an ex-Williams employee (again nameless) who was at Benetton came down and watched, and then saw me, and very quickly scuttled back. They stopped start-testing, knowing that they were in front of somebody from Williams.”

“I've never told that story in public before, but it was 20-plus years ago and there are enough people actually saying that the car was equipped with traction control for me to not feel concerned about that story being out there. I do remember that day at Pembrey and I do remember it literally being as close as that road is out there; just [Benetton] doing start practice in front of us, not realising that there was somebody from Williams present.”
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago it still angers me how Barrichello was ordered to move over for Schumacher in Austria 2001.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago Well, the close commercial arrangement between Ferrari and Bridge stone plus the limitless testing ensured Bridgestone made tyres for all based on Ferraris requirements.

Other controversial aspects such as the unwavering #1 position in the team, by no means illegal in basis of he was contractually the undisputed #1 with the likes of Barrichello ordered to allow Michael to pass.... it was a team decision, although clearly their strategies often took the piss out of the no team order rules. But there are always ways to circumvent team orders that all teams were at times guilty of.

Let us not forget that a lot of Ferrari's dominance was not down to Michael alone, rather the result of a super strong team of individuals assembled with a no budget limitation approach, from design through to the engine builders, engineers, strategists et al, assembled by Jean Todt. It was these combined skills within the team that allowed Michael to maximise his undoubted talent.

But, most of all the collaboration between Ferrari and Bridgestone gave enormous advantage to Ferrari, one certainly not enjoyed by or offered to other Bridgestone users who had to in effect adaprt their cars to the tyres. Ferrari enjoyed tyres created for their car.
:agreepost:

As has been said, all of this was legal however it stretched the sporting sense of what was being done.

Additionally there was the treatment Ferrari and Schumacher received from the FIA and race meeting stewards. Whenever there was a 50/50 situation, Schumacher and Ferrari would receive preferential treatment. Whenever there was a situation with Schumacher at clear fault, no punishment. Plus there was the Ferrari-veto which still exists today.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 6 years ago
John wrote: 6 years ago I thought this would be another rant on Benetton using traction control in 1994.
MotorsportMagazine wrote:How a Pembrey test stoked traction control suspicions
by Web Editor on 7th February 2018

Dickie Stanford and Jonathan Williams describe, for the first time, how the Benetton F1 team aroused suspicion that it was using traction control, from the Motor Sport podcast in association with Mercedes-Benz

Controversy has raged for nearly 25 years over the 1994 Formula 1 season, as Benetton was accused of using traction control on its way to the title. Dickie Stanford, general manager of Williams Heritage and former race mechanic to Nigel Mansell, and Jonathan Williams, who oversees the Heritage department, told Motor Sport that Benetton may have given the game away at Pembrey that year.

“Ayrton [Senna] was convinced that [Benetton] was doing something, and we [at Williams] were as well,” said Stanford. "I know the engine note was recorded and everything, [but] I don't know whether [Williams] took it to the FIA, I don't know. I know they recorded it because we still record engine notes now.”

“You can tell a lot [from engine notes],” said Jonathan Williams. “I got a job as a gofer in 1994 for a Formula 3000 team called Madgwick that year, which was running two cars in the International series and one car in the British [series]. We did a couple of preseason tests and we went down to Pembrey sometime in the March or April of 1994 and we were there for two days on a Thursday or Friday and somebody from Pembrey told us: “Uh, Benetton is here tomorrow because it needs somewhere [to test].

“It must have been in between the [Pacific] Grand Prix at Aida, the race at which Ayrton observed what he considered was traction control, (when he was when he was forced to watch from the race room after the collision at the start) and Imola, because it was JJ Lehto coming back to replace Jos Verstappen for the third race. (It was Lehto’s race seat – he'd injured himself preseason).

“So we were at Pembrey in our trucks, camped out on the pit apron, and Benetton did turn up that night and went into the scrutineering hut in the centre of the track. So, apart from knowing there were two teams on site, you weren't seeing each other. On Friday, somebody from Benetton who I didn't know came down to us and said, “What's your program for the afternoon? We'd like to do some start practice and you're on the pitstraight, so we'd like to do some start practice right in front of you.”

“We said, “Actually, we've got a bit of a [free] slot then,” and so we all went on the pitwall and watched it. I'm not going to name names but a Madgwick mechanic, who then went on to be a hugely successful systems engineer for two Formula 1 teams, both during their championship-winning periods, said to me: “Just look at the tire marks and listen.” He was educating me on traction control.

“What really, in hindsight, rammed it home to me was when an ex-Williams employee (again nameless) who was at Benetton came down and watched, and then saw me, and very quickly scuttled back. They stopped start-testing, knowing that they were in front of somebody from Williams.”

“I've never told that story in public before, but it was 20-plus years ago and there are enough people actually saying that the car was equipped with traction control for me to not feel concerned about that story being out there. I do remember that day at Pembrey and I do remember it literally being as close as that road is out there; just [Benetton] doing start practice in front of us, not realising that there was somebody from Williams present.”
Stumbled over that piece as well - great read.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Thanks @Kals for the piece on Benetton Traction Control. I was obviously aware of the beliefs and the near certainty of guilt, but I have never found or read an eye witness 'guilty as charged' account. Any doubt the matter may have held in my mind are now quashed.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

let's be honest, all this talk about traction control... and what would it be worth over a lap? a tenth? two tenths perhaps?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

a lot. Adrian Newey explained once how the "traction control" worked. I can't remember it exactly but what it did was measuring the airspeed difference between the airflow through the air intake and the air speed outside. If there was a difference the engine would slow down.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago let's be honest, all this talk about traction control... and what would it be worth over a lap? a tenth? two tenths perhaps?
Two tenths takes a lot of resources and money to make up for when the other teams are using illegal systems.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago let's be honest, all this talk about traction control... and what would it be worth over a lap? a tenth? two tenths perhaps?
And I quote...
kals wrote: 6 years ago
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Added to their cheat (re)fuel system ..... Anyway the topic is more related to the Ferrari years :topic: