The Windsor Interviews (Motorsport.TV UK)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
LegendsOf67
Favourite Motorsport: Sports cars
Favourite Driver: Chris Amon

The Windsor Interviews (Motorsport.TV UK)

Post by LegendsOf67 »

There's a new series on Motorsport TV called The Windsor Interviews (the Windsor is Peter Windsor). I've just watched the first episode with Mauro Forghieri and it was wonderful!

It's beautifully produced and very engaging. Well worth catching the repeats in my opinion. I have to declare that L'ingegnere is a great hero on mine. The man was/is an automotive engineering genius who doesn't seem to attract the same acclaim as the likes of Chapman, Duckworth etc. I hope the series continues in the same vain. I would love to see a similar interview with Dick Scammell for instance.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Unfortunately I dont believe I can watch it in Australia. I know his work with Ferrari went back to the Surtees days if not prior, but my favourite memories of Forghieri go back only to the wonderful partnership he formed with Niki Lauda to bring Ferrari back from the dead with the 1974 development of the 312B3-74 and moreso the later 312T and 312T2. A brilliant partnership.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Hi guys, you can grab it from here >> https://we.tl/SRxs03PkGb

The link will only be up for a week though, after which I'll have to post it again.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Thanks Sandeep.... I managed to track it down at RFM earlier today.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Cool, that's where I got it from too. :)

It's too bad that the motorsport.tv videos play for two seconds before they stop for good. I signed up for a free month where I 'wouldn't even have to verify my credit card.' After this kind of playback, they'll never see my credit card anyway.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re the interview with Mauro I loved the bit about the P3 and P4 developments and the Amon 'tribute'. I was also impressed that Windsor kept a low profile with the focus firmly on Mauro. (Windsor is one I tolerate more than enjoy). I guess the one part of the interview that miffed me was the total lack of reference to the Lauda years and their combined efforts to develop the T/T2 into such an awesome F1 car, rather skipping from Amon to Villeneuve. I guess when you have had such a long standing and impressive career as Mauro enjoyed, the time restraints of a half hour interview mean the entirety is not possible to cover.

LegendsOf67
Favourite Motorsport: Sports cars
Favourite Driver: Chris Amon

Post by LegendsOf67 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago Re the interview with Mauro I loved the bit about the P3 and P4 developments and the Amon 'tribute'.
Likewise! I was fascinated by how much engineering analysis was going on behind the scenes even back then. Of course, by today's standards, the tools at their disposal were somewhat limited in capability but it seems if you had the people with the knowledge to appreciate what the numbers were indicating, you could make real progress. I had no idea the roll bar on the P4 had a proper aerofoil section (Gottingen)! It shows the attention to detail to extract performance in a holistic way.
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago ... I was also impressed that Windsor kept a low profile with the focus firmly on Mauro. (Windsor is one I tolerate more than enjoy).
It seems Windsor divides opinion, I personally like him but for those who aren't fans, don't be put off because as you say, he barely features. My liking for Windsor is due to the fantastic Jim Clark season diaries he did some years ago, such attention to detail was a real labour of love in my opinion and I respected him for that. See here for what I mean https://peterwindsor.com/category/jim-c ... 63-season/
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago ... guess the one part of the interview that miffed me was the total lack of reference to the Lauda years...rather skipping from Amon to Villeneuve. I guess when you have had such a long standing and impressive career as Mauro enjoyed, the time restraints of a half hour interview mean the entirety is not possible to cover.
You're right, something had to be left out in a 30mins edit. Those Lauda years alone could fill hours and hours of TV time. I would have loved to hear stories of the Surtees and Bandini years.

I don't understand why there aren't multiple volumes of the great man's official autobiography. I don't even think there is one. A project for Doug Nye perhaps?