McLaren movie

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

McLaren movie

Post by MonteCristo »

Forgive me if there is a thread on this already. I searched and couldn't find it bar a couple of mentions in some other threads.

Anyone seen this?

I was tickled pink to discover on a flight back home tonight that it was available to watch! I didn't know about his childhood struggles. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy who was taken too soon. Lots of good interviews (some old, some new) with his drivers, mechanics and team members - as well as some other drivers from the era.

On a humorous sidenote: getting off the flight and waiting for a work colleague, a random guy who'd been sitting a few rows back walks up to me and asks what I was watching. I told him the McLaren documentary, and he said he thought so - didn't know it was out. Neither did I, really.

Thanks Qantas!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

I have it on DVD now. That is, if this is the McLaren movie you are referring to. Pre-ordered it a while ago.
A good read to go with the movie is McLaren Memories by Eoin Young.

LegendsOf67
Favourite Motorsport: Sports cars
Favourite Driver: Chris Amon

Post by LegendsOf67 »

I've been looking forward to this for quite a while, my DVD arrived last Friday and I sat down late on Saturday to watch it thinking I'll probably finish it the next day. I didn't move a muscle for the next 1.5hrs! I knew quite a bit about the man and his racing team and the personalities involved through books by Eoin Young, Phil Kerr (To Finish First) and Tyler Alexander but I was still engrossed. Alastair Caldwell's account for finding Bruce after the accident is incredibly moving, quite harrowing actually. It was also moving seeing a range of faces who are no longer with us since the film was made: Patty McLaren, my racing hero Chris Amon, Phil Kerr and Tyler Alexander.

I would recommend the film to anyone with an interest in that era of motorsports. I would also recommend the McLaren tapes, I bought the CD from the McLaren Trust well over a decade ago now and it's a real blast to hear Bruce talking.

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/product_in ... cts_id/161

PS: Did Teddy Meyer ever pen a biography?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I managed to download this movie and have literally just finished watching it.
I can thoroughly recommend it to all, although as has been mentioned some of the scenes are harrowing and the final 20+ minutes or so left me emotionally fucked. I still have a lump in my throat as I post this.
A very well presented movie I thought and tastefully done.
Clearly Bruce was a brilliant man and one respected, loved and sorely missed by his peers.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

It's always hard to tell if you're only being told one side of a story, but he comes across in a very positive light, and as a good human being.

But compare him to how Frank Williams is portrayed in the Williams doco, where Frank is a bit of a (semi-loveable) prick.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
duvel
Favourite Motorsport: Old Motorsport
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes E240, Brera 1750tb

Post by duvel »

Highly recommended
Good Bruce McLaren really deserved a beautiful tribute like this one
Emotional for active protagonists like his wife or Chris Amon, too, which parted soon after this work
Long live to McLaren Team keeping his memory forever