F1 - 1993 / SEGA presence

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Just curious because I don't follow current motor sports any longer, but why is Palmer so loathed by everyone, it seems?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
manny
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber, Max Verstappen,
Favourite Circuit: Le Mans

Post by manny »

JBT wrote: 6 years ago I remember hoping there would be a Sega F1 game that was connected with Williams out sometime in '93 (My brother had a Megadrive at the time) but one never appeared. Was there ever one in development, perhaps? I got a Commodore Amiga 1200 for Christmas '94 and bought F1 by Domark not too long after, which was the 'official' '93 F1 game, maybe there were licensing issues preventing Sega bringing a game out - or they never intended to, with Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 not long released anyway ('92 I think?)
There was a F1 1993 game on the Megadrive, well to be exact. It was on the Add-on Mega-CD/Sega-CD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpmXGK39D8
WIP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

manny wrote: 6 years ago
JBT wrote: 6 years ago I remember hoping there would be a Sega F1 game that was connected with Williams out sometime in '93 (My brother had a Megadrive at the time) but one never appeared. Was there ever one in development, perhaps? I got a Commodore Amiga 1200 for Christmas '94 and bought F1 by Domark not too long after, which was the 'official' '93 F1 game, maybe there were licensing issues preventing Sega bringing a game out - or they never intended to, with Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 not long released anyway ('92 I think?)
There was a F1 1993 game on the Megadrive, well to be exact. It was on the Add-on Mega-CD/Sega-CD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpmXGK39D8
That looks very similar to Nigel Mansell's Word Championship on the SNES. And just as challenging.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

kals wrote: 6 years ago
There was a Williams F1 game on the PC in the mid-90's based on the 1993 season. It was arcady and terrible. I'm not sure if it was a Sega game and I'll try to find details.

EDIT - in fact here it is...

Cheers kals, that's the one - I must admit I didn't remember that the Sega logo was on the front of the box. My Amiga version is somewhere in the loft, along with the A1200. I don't think the game had much to do with Williams specifically - I do remember that Senna wasn't mentioned in the game (Hakkinen and Andretti were the drivers listed) and Senna's helmet was changed to white on the front of the box. Perhaps his management wanted extra $$$ to include his name in a second F1 game!

The Amiga version was a bit better than the PC version, it was a bit more basic looking but ran much faster, and was dead smooth. Not a patch on Microprose F1GP which came out a couple of years before though.

Just going off on a tangent for a sec, the first time I got properly close to any kind of GP car was at the Autosport show in Birmingham, UK in 1990. One of the stands (Pirelli I think) had a Super Monaco GP arcade machine modified to fit around an F1 car chassis - an Ensign or Theodore according to my best mates dad at the time (it was painted yellow and black). You sat in the car and the monitor was fixed in the same place as drivers have their timing screens while in the pit garage. It just felt amazing to climb into the tub and feel what a single seater was like at age 12, let alone play the game.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
The Ost
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Ost »

That was a quick reskin of an existing game called Vroom. It was a fairly fun arcade racer, not in any way a simulation of Formula One. Obviously they spent a few bucks to get the licence and hopefully sell a few more copies.
"When money talk, few are deaf" - Charlie Chan