Weird, or unusual racing cars

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I don't like BoP, but it's the pragmatic (and economic) necessary of the current auto racing landscape. Car makers just isn't interested in building homologation specials anymore. Politics (which is what BoP is for them) is easier for them.

When you put it like this, sure, it drains the enthusiasm of you, but at the end of the day what do you want? Competitive racing with 30 car grids with BoP, or no racing at all?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago I kind of agree with @jimclark, if I correctly understand the point he is trying to make.

I disagree with the idea of BoP. Sports car racing is not a one-make series. Back in the old days, if one car wasn't fast enough to beat another, then the only option was to design a better car. That's how we got the GT40 right?
Yes. and that is some 50 years ago. The last time we saw a no BoP GT class, that was the GT1 class. Look how that ended.
wiki wrote:Prototype Years (1997-1998)

Following the loss of Patrick Peter from the BPR Organisation, the BPR Organisation evolved into the Stephane Ratel Organisation, with the SRO now co-organising the championship with the FIA. With this change, it saw an even larger influx of professional teams and manufacturers, with the whole grid of the GT1 class consisting of nothing but professional teams. [5] The 1997 season saw the entry of the Mercedes-AMG Team, who would debut the CLK GTR. Similar to the 911 GT1, the CLK GTR was yet another homologation special prototype, with the car only being a racing-version of a production Grand Tourer in name. The car had no street legal version even built by the time the category collapsed in 1999, and shared only the instrumentation, front grille and the four headlamps with the normal CLK C208. That same season, realising that the F1 GTR would not be competitive against the homologation specials, McLaren also updated the bodywork of the car, with the alterations so significant that they were forced to build a road car with the updated bodywork, effectively turning the car into a homologation special. The resulting car was known as the F1 GT, with 3 being built.[6] In 1998, realising that with the introduction of the updated CLK LM, and the 911 GT1-98, the F1 GTR could no longer be competitive, McLaren withdrew backing from the program, following BMW which had done so the previous year, in 1997, although 2 cars would still be entered by Parabolica Motorsports and Davidoff Classic. In 1999, following the total domination of the Mercedes-AMG team in the Championship in the previous season, which saw them win all races in the championship, with both the CLK GTR and LM, no GT1 teams entered the category, apart from the Mercedes-AMG Team. As such, the FIA chose to run the 1999 FIA GT Championship with just the GT2 class.[7]
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

So, some months ago i said that someday i would have posted some weird racing bikes. Well, now it's time to do it.

This is the 1997 Hunwick Hallam XR-1, a prototype that wanted to race in the WSBK in the coming years. It had a V-Twin engine with 150 Hp, and in the few races it entered, the rider was Malcolm Campbell, former 500cc and WSBK rider.

Here some articles https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... erbike.htm
https://www.odd-bike.com/2014/07/hunwic ... .html#more
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Speaking of the Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR, I always thought the street version looked weird.

:sly:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Porsche 911 GT1
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

"street cars"

Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago I kind of agree with @jimclark, if I correctly understand the point he is trying to make.

I disagree with the idea of BoP. Sports car racing is not a one-make series. Back in the old days, if one car wasn't fast enough to beat another, then the only option was to design a better car. That's how we got the GT40 right?
Yes. and that is some 50 years ago. The last time we saw a no BoP GT class, that was the GT1 class. Look how that ended.
wiki wrote:Prototype Years (1997-1998)

Following the loss of Patrick Peter from the BPR Organisation, the BPR Organisation evolved into the Stephane Ratel Organisation, with the SRO now co-organising the championship with the FIA. With this change, it saw an even larger influx of professional teams and manufacturers, with the whole grid of the GT1 class consisting of nothing but professional teams. [5] The 1997 season saw the entry of the Mercedes-AMG Team, who would debut the CLK GTR. Similar to the 911 GT1, the CLK GTR was yet another homologation special prototype, with the car only being a racing-version of a production Grand Tourer in name. The car had no street legal version even built by the time the category collapsed in 1999, and shared only the instrumentation, front grille and the four headlamps with the normal CLK C208. That same season, realising that the F1 GTR would not be competitive against the homologation specials, McLaren also updated the bodywork of the car, with the alterations so significant that they were forced to build a road car with the updated bodywork, effectively turning the car into a homologation special. The resulting car was known as the F1 GT, with 3 being built.[6] In 1998, realising that with the introduction of the updated CLK LM, and the 911 GT1-98, the F1 GTR could no longer be competitive, McLaren withdrew backing from the program, following BMW which had done so the previous year, in 1997, although 2 cars would still be entered by Parabolica Motorsports and Davidoff Classic. In 1999, following the total domination of the Mercedes-AMG team in the Championship in the previous season, which saw them win all races in the championship, with both the CLK GTR and LM, no GT1 teams entered the category, apart from the Mercedes-AMG Team. As such, the FIA chose to run the 1999 FIA GT Championship with just the GT2 class.[7]
Well, the last isn't really true...SRO wanted to organize the International Prototype Championship (with two new Mercs for the factory team and Persson would run the 98 cars, iirc) but not enough teams signed up (SRO needed 15 cars, even with the ISRS cars they didn't have enough). The IPC would run two races, with a 15 min sprint race in between for GT2 cars.

Instead, Mercedes was going to enter their '99 LMP in the '99 Norisring sportscar race but withdrew after Le Mans after which the event was cancelled.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Lucien Bianchi's weird looking Cooper-BRM in Mexico 1968

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years agoYou must have a hard time watching races of these days.
Correctomundo. Although, unlike the past, I also don't have a pickle if I miss one, or fall asleep, or just plain decide to do something else (very often).
Cheeveer wrote: 4 years agoWhen you put it like this, sure, it drains the enthusiasm of you, but at the end of the day what do you want? Competitive racing with 30 car grids with BoP, or no racing at all?
Neither, just real auto racing. Artificial "competitive" racing's not for me.
But if they are the only options (as they appear to be fast becoming), no problem, I can find other things to do as stated in my answer to eg above.

I've loved racing/speed all my life (father's influence), spectating and participating. From running as a sprout to wagons, tricycles, bicycles, slotcars (scratch built, inter store racing), karts, cars, and lastly, r/c cars.
Auto racing is changing....not for the better as far as I'm concerned (can you tell?). My passion's waning rapidly.
I've enjoyed my 65 years so far (still enjoy F1, 'cept for the DRS) so I'm good whatever happens.
'Get my competitive itch scratched nowadays playing pocket billiards. Care to play? How much 'you wanna' play for....???? :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

jimclark wrote: 4 years ago Auto racing is changing....not for the better as far as I'm concerned (can you tell?). My passion's waning rapidly.
For me its the opposite.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Cheeveer wrote: 4 years ago Lucien Bianchi's weird looking Cooper-BRM in Mexico 1968

What was weird about it? 'Surprised no rear wing however (such as below). I remember the larger radiator opening due to the heat in Mexico.
'Remember watching as it was on TV (ABC) here; the last race of the season and 'was rooting for Graham as Jim was gone (the championship hopefuls were Hill, Stewart, and Hulme). He got the race and the championship for himself and Lotus. :)

jimclark
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago
jimclark wrote: 4 years ago Auto racing is changing....not for the better as far as I'm concerned (can you tell?). My passion's waning rapidly.
For me its the opposite.
Lucky you! I myself have stopped watching almost twenty years ago, and I don't miss it one bit. I now have a lot of time for researching the history of this once great sport (which I still enjoy greatly), and don't have to waste my Sunday afternoons watching commercials camouflaged as auto racing.

Lucky me!! :mrgreen:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Twenty years too early. GT racing nowadays is great.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Artificially close does not "great" GT racing make.......it just makes it artificially close.....meaningless.

jimclark
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

I don't care. I love the racing of today. Good night.
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

PLS MORE WING.
(Jorma Viitala's Volkswagen 411, raced in Rallycross)