RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The photo in the first post was one I took at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2006, shortly before I approached him myself to get his autograph. I was at the Revival meeting that year (or was it 2004, or perhaps even earlier?) when they celebrated Jack's career and I believe he did a drive past in his championship winning car. I need to look through my computer files.

The last time Jack drove competitively, this happened. The only time he ever spent a night in hospital in his entire motor racing career:

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

The famous final lap of the 1970 Monaco GP which was Jack's until he binned it at the last corner of the last lap:

Jack Brabham winning his self-titled trophy race at Brands Hatch in 1971:

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

These are both good ones , one looks closer at the WDC in 1966, the other at the Tasman Championship with plenty about the relationship between Jack, Repco and how it all came together.
Plenty of race footage and info.

The Repco-Brabham Story

Repco Brabham - The Fantastic Year

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I was saddened to read the news of Jack's passing today. It's a big loss for the Australian motor racing community.

Much has been said about his achievements, but the one I find most impressive is his 1966 championship in his own car, something which is almost certainly never going to be repeated.

As is to be expected, there have been an outpouring of tributes for Jack:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/05/19/tri ... k-brabham/

A state funeral is expected to be held for him sometime in the next month or two.

RIP Sir Jack Brabham.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I saw what I thought was a great tribute to Jack from Dan Gurney. Quite touching and shows the close bond they shared throughout their careers and beyond. They were looking forward to the 50th anniversary of the first Brabham (car) F1 GP win at Rouen June 1964, which Dan won in a works Brabham.

Anyway I thought others might like it so here it is:
Dan Gurney’s statement on the passing of Sir Jack Brabham :
Dan Gurney wrote:
It is with great sadness that I received the news that my former Formula boss and team mate, the three time F 1 World Champion Sir Jack Brabham, passed away in Australia over the weekend. A motor racing giant has left our planet whose combined achievements of F 1 World Championship driver and car constructor in all likelihood will never be equaled. Dark haired “Black Jack” was a fierce competitor, an outstanding engineer, a tiger of a driver, an excellent politician and a hands-on creator and visionary, he opened the rear-engine door at Indianapolis and raced there, he was a doer, a true Aussie pioneer!

Jack and I go far back in history together. We raced against each other on the F 1 circuit since 1959 driving Coopers, Ferraris, BRMs and Porsches. In 1963 he hired me as his team mate for his newly established Brabham F I team and during the next three years we really got to know each other. We discovered we shared similar traits. We were not only interested in driving racing cars but in building them, improving them, searching for every tiny bit of technical advantage we could find. I see both of us sitting in garages all over the world bent over engines, talking to each other and to our team: Ron Tauraunac, Phil Kerr, Roy Billington, Tim Wall, Nick Gooze and Denis Hulme.

We shared the camaraderie of a closely knit team pursuing a common purpose, the racing tragedies and the glory days of the 1960s bonded us for life.

Since we retired from driving, both in the fall of 1970, we have stayed in touch. I last spoke to Jack a few months ago on the phone, we were looking forward to the golden anniversary of the first World Championship F 1 victory for the Brabham marque: The French Grand Prix at Rouen, June 28th, 1964, which I won for the team 50 years ago this summer.

In 1966 we both went our separate ways , I followed the trail he had blazed by trying to build, race and win with my own F I cars. I have been told that only three men in the history of autoracing have managed to do that, Bruce McLaren and I won races but Sir Jack Brabham won World Championships, he will be forever in a class all by himself.

I will miss you Jack! You showed the way!

With gratitude and admiration.

Dan

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport ... 6922768278

Recent tribute article including wreck pic from his 1959 shunt at the Portugese GP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

If anyone would like to watch Sir Jack's state funeral, it's being broadcast live here at 3:30am - two hours thirty minutes from the time of this post.

http://new.livestream.com/CAMStvmedia/S ... ateFuneral

They're showing some real cool race footage from Brabham's life in the meantime.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Thought I might add this news announced today, with ownership and usage of the Brabham name returning to family control

BRABHAM TEAM NAME TO RETURN IN 2015.

Brabham is set to return as a team and constructor with a view to reviving its Formula 1 legacy where it became one of the trail-blazing outfits of the modern grand prix era.

David Brabham, the youngest son of the late eponymous team founder Sir Jack Brabham, has pushed the button on an elaborate plan called Project Brabham which is designed for the team to fly again after closing its doors 22 years ago.

Initially the plan is for the second coming of the Brabham team to run in LMP2 in next year’s World Endurance Championship before graduating to LMP1 within four years as a constructor.

Reviving the once grand prix powerhouse only became possible early last year when David Brabham regained control of the family name.

Successful legal action through German courts saw other parties blocked from using the Brabham moniker for road car and racing efforts.

Under an innovative plan, Project Brabham is adopting a crowd-funding method in order to generate revenue via donations from the motor sport community.
More Info: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/09/25/bra ... targetted/