Random Video Games Discussion

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Have not tried RRE, but seems to have some nice content. Old Simbin stuff, I believe.

Assetto Corsa looks great and drives great, but there's no dynamics in it. All dials, except for rev counter and fuel are just for show, for example. Damage sucks, and I don't know about tyre wear. The hybrid cars are cool though, that's a unique feature.

rF2 is the most immersive and is the best drive, but doesn't look the part. More difficult to setup too.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

With that said, Assetto Corsa is the more complete game.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Complete in what way?
Cheeveer wrote: 6 years ago Have not tried RRE, but seems to have some nice content. Old Simbin stuff, I believe.

Assetto Corsa looks great and drives great, but there's no dynamics in it. All dials, except for rev counter and fuel are just for show, for example. Damage sucks, and I don't know about tyre wear. The hybrid cars are cool though, that's a unique feature.

rF2 is the most immersive and is the best drive, but doesn't look the part. More difficult to setup too.
I understand that all F1 teams use rFactor Pro as the basis for their simulators and it's the only sim that carset creators can put real data into and get realistic reactions from the cars. The con for me is that I still recall those early laps of Spa '67 with the AI crashing all over the place like retards and I still picture rFactor 2 to be like that.

RRE looks the most appealing game, but it's basically a WTCC/ADAC GT Masters/DTM all-in-one game with only 75% of each season's circuits modelled.

AC - same concerns about the AI as in rF2. Also if it's something that anyone and everyone can mod, then it's likely to turn out as shit as ALL the rFactor 1 mods in the physics department.

I'd go back to iRacing, but lately it's far too American for my tastes. Also the physics sucked balls when I last played it (2011)

Overall, I'd say there's not one single appealing racing game out there this generation. They all feel like half-finished, halfway-there titles which don't come close to the quality of the Simbin games of the mid-2000s.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Complete as in gameplay. There's a career mode (but nowhere near as fun as the old Gran Turismo games) and custom championships and time trials and drifting, etc, while rF2 is just about a race weekend.

All those games has come a long way since you last tested them. rF2 AI, at least on the road courses, is now as good as they come. AC AI is also dependable, if a bit slow. iRacing physics was great last time I was on it (last year).

As for mods, you will need an eye to recognize what's good and what's shit. Racedepartement.com is where it's at for AC, rF2's official forum for rF2: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php

It's not 2011 anymore.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The problem I have with modern 'platform' racing games (eg: AC or rF2) is that they seem (I don't follow the scene enough to be sure, so AFAIK only) to focus a lot on releasing single cars, but I want to race a full series set.

I want a full grid of 1960s cars in rF2, or a full grid of Group C cars in AC. Not one or two cars from an era.

And it rightfully takes ages for the modding community to build a sets of cars and tracks, because they don't have the resources :(.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

It seems to me that all modern racing games except the ones that are licensed to a specific series want to have as large a variety of cars as possible.

There's also the issue of licensing and of the games not having the budgets to get 100s of cars.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I see the next release of the official F1 game gets some historic F1's in it.
Codemasters has announced F1 2017, the Official Formula 1 game, will be released in August and classic machines will be included along with a new ‘Championships’ game mode.
The 12 legendary F1 cars include the Williams FW14B in which Nigel Mansell won the 1992 Championship and the Ferrari F2002 made famous by Michael Schumacher.
The last Official F1 game to include classic machines was the 2013 iteration. This is the first game to be released under the new Liberty Media ownership.
The dominant 1988 McLaren MP4/4 will be a paid add-on or a pre-order bonus for those who want to drive Ayrton Senna’s championship-winning car early.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Codemasters has had the rights since 2009.
They should do something like F1 Challenge 09-17
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I think it says a lot about F1 when F1 2017s first promo video features three cars, all of which are between 15 and 30 years old.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Hahaha! Very true. And promote the (secondary) historical aspect of the game before the actual 2017 version.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Whatever you do, dust off that wheel and come run the Indy 500 *cough* 250 with us on Thursday, will be fun chasing you down again :lol:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago Whatever you do, dust off that wheel and come run the Indy 500 *cough* 250 with us on Thursday, will be fun chasing you down again :lol:
Me???

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yes.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

rF2 on Dx11 is okay.

This is far from most pimped out settings too.

Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago Whatever you do, dust off that wheel and come run the Indy 500 *cough* 250 with us on Thursday, will be fun chasing you down again :lol:
Would you welcome an old fr... I mean a coll... I mean a pain in the arse, too? :dunno:
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Of course, the more the merrier, we've having our biggest grids for years atm.