Random Video Games Discussion

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OSNOF wrote:In my personal opinion, the series peaked at Hot Pursuit II and peaked again at Most Wanted. Carbon just went too far into the 'make your car look as 'cool' as possible' zone and skimped on the racing as a result. ProStreet was confused, it was pulling in two different directions and again was short on content. Undercover is going back towards Most Wanted but is still sloppy.
I'm curious... How do you find Hot Pursuit 2 better than the Undergrounds or the older NFS titles?
Haha, Oldskool stuff. Might have a go at this one :)
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Sam wrote:
OSNOF wrote:In my personal opinion, the series peaked at Hot Pursuit II and peaked again at Most Wanted. Carbon just went too far into the 'make your car look as 'cool' as possible' zone and skimped on the racing as a result. ProStreet was confused, it was pulling in two different directions and again was short on content. Undercover is going back towards Most Wanted but is still sloppy.
I'm curious... How do you find Hot Pursuit 2 better than the Undergrounds or the older NFS titles?
It really comes down to content and quality for what it's trying to do. Whilst Porsche Unleashed was probably the most in-depth game they've ever done, it was just Porsche- great if you like Porsche, but not wholly gripping if you're not a fan of the cars. Hot Pursuit II gave you some great cars (Lambo Diablo, McLaren F1 and LM edition, Aston Martin V12 Vantage and a few Ferraris among others), the element of the police and some awesome driving scenery.

Underground 1 and Underground 2 marked the start of a new direction for NFS and therefore I don't feel that you can really compare it to the older games because they are trying to do two different things. HPII is the peak of the 'old' NFS genre, Most Wanted is currently the peak of the 'new' NFS genre, although that might change shortly due to the fact that EA are now rotating the studios that makes the game each year, giving each new game a 2-year development cycle.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Sam wrote:
Haha, Oldskool stuff. Might have a go at this one :)
I'd recommend it...it's point and click, but there's multiple outcomes to each mission - some will complete the mission successfully, others won't :wink:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

OSNOF wrote:
Sam wrote:I'm curious... How do you find Hot Pursuit 2 better than the Undergrounds or the older NFS titles?
It really comes down to content and quality for what it's trying to do. Whilst Porsche Unleashed was probably the most in-depth game they've ever done, it was just Porsche- great if you like Porsche, but not wholly gripping if you're not a fan of the cars. Hot Pursuit II gave you some great cars (Lambo Diablo, McLaren F1 and LM edition, Aston Martin V12 Vantage and a few Ferraris among others), the element of the police and some awesome driving scenery.
Also had a good soundtrack...

Still, were you not bothered about the gameplay of HP2? In my view that's what makes or breaks a driving game, and it did the latter to HP2. I found the the cars, especially the faster ones, horrible to drive. The steering felt really detached and vague, and when combined with the sudden stop obstacles (which were plentyful at places) it made the driving stop being fun.

The original Hot Pursuit(or NFS3) and High Stakes(NFS4) shared the same problem but Porsche Unleashed did not and neither have the NFS titles after HP2. The Porsches were wonderful to drive with quite sim-like physics mode, and it also had a proper career mode and damage model as well. From Underground 1 onwards until ProStreet the driveability has been something similar and despite the fact that the physics have been wildly in the arcade territory the cars reacted to controls in a credible way which made them fun to drive around.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS of them all, regardless of whether you like Porsches or Kias.. if you like driving cars, Porsche Unleashed was the NFS to have.. if you like flying hovercrafts, all the other NFSs fit the bill quite nicely. :tongue:
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Sam wrote:
OSNOF wrote:
Sam wrote:I'm curious... How do you find Hot Pursuit 2 better than the Undergrounds or the older NFS titles?
Also had a good soundtrack...

Still, were you not bothered about the gameplay of HP2? In my view that's what makes or breaks a driving game, and it did the latter to HP2. I found the the cars, especially the faster ones, horrible to drive. The steering felt really detached and vague, and when combined with the sudden stop obstacles (which were plentyful at places) it made the driving stop being fun.

The original Hot Pursuit(or NFS3) and High Stakes(NFS4) shared the same problem but Porsche Unleashed did not and neither have the NFS titles after HP2. The Porsches were wonderful to drive with quite sim-like physics mode, and it also had a proper career mode and damage model as well. From Underground 1 onwards until ProStreet the driveability has been something similar and despite the fact that the physics have been wildly in the arcade territory the cars reacted to controls in a credible way which made them fun to drive around.
Honestly, it didn't bother me. But I do prefer cars that you have to manhandle rather than super-sensitive ones. Porsche Unlimited was fun to play, but it didn't engage me as much as HPII did.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Sorry for the bump, but RaceSimCentral is down yet again.
codename_47
Favourite Motorsport: BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: Champcar Reynard/Lola

Post by codename_47 »

Hello, I'm a crazy fool who enjoys playing the Toca Race Driver series of games, PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!
I cannot afford your fancy computers to run your Rfactors and Legends series of games! I have to make do with my PS2....yes PS2, I'm stuck on the last generation of consoles.

Anyway I'm currently on Race Driver 3 and on the final "Williams F1 Team Challenge" where you have all three types of F1 car the game allows in one race (Mid 80s Mansell Era, 97 Villeneuve Championship winner and 2005 Mark Webber styleeee) and suddenly the game has gone from being quite easy and enjoyable to damn near impossible.
Since it only gives you a 97'spec Williams there isn't much you can do against the 2005 spec and finishing about 6th/7th is the best I can seem to do, obviously this is no good for doing what is needed, winning the championship.

I've tried fiddling with the setups etc but no joy, unless I can take every corner of Brands/Donington flat out I'll never catch up with the CPU drivers....

Am I missing a trick with this, anyone actually manage to complete the World Tour section in their distant past? :huh:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Nope, I got stuck at the same section of the game and gave up in the end. Go back to the Aussie V8s or DTM. I had much more fun racing those, even if they are incredibly unrealistic.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I would say play it online but I doubt the online is still active! It was a sad day when ToCA Race Driver 2 went offline :sorrow:
codename_47
Favourite Motorsport: BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: Champcar Reynard/Lola

Post by codename_47 »

kals wrote:Nope, I got stuck at the same section of the game and gave up in the end. Go back to the Aussie V8s or DTM. I had much more fun racing those, even if they are incredibly unrealistic.
I think I prefered throwing around the lower level open wheel stuff around tracks like Zaandvort and Oulton park myself....though I wouldn't care much if the data file for Mondello Park got corrupted and I never saw that place again.

What makes me laugh is there's always one corner in a few tracks the AI gets confused over and basically comes to a stop at so you can blast around the outside of them.
The corner where Heidfeld went around the outside of 2 cars at Spa is one of them, also the chicane at Oschersclaben too....
You have to be wary if you're back in the pack as suddenly 20 cars come to a standstill and you often lose wheels :tongue:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I'm thinking of buying the latest Deus Ex game after I complete Uni.

I haven't actually played a single video game made in the 2010s yet (besides the BeamNG.Drive demo and the 2011 update of iRacing, but that was released in 2008)
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

funny you should mention that game. Is that the one set in Dubai?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Prague.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Raceroom Experience, Assetto Corsa, or rFactor 2?

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Have not tried RRE, but seems to have some nice content. Old Simbin stuff, I believe.

Assetto Corsa looks great and drives great, but there's no dynamics in it. All dials, except for rev counter and fuel are just for show, for example. Damage sucks, and I don't know about tyre wear. The hybrid cars are cool though, that's a unique feature.

rF2 is the most immersive and is the best drive, but doesn't look the part. More difficult to setup too.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***