Computer Technical Support Thread

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Computer Technical Support Thread

Post by PTRACER »

I'm currently training to be a computer engineer, so if any of you are having problems with your computer, hopefully I can help you :thumbsup: Plus it's good practice for me :smiley: :wink:

I can help you speed your computer up, or help you with problems that prevent you from getting into Windows at all (providing you can access the internet from another computer at the same time and have the right tools/discs).

And sorry, I don't do Mac's or Linux.
Last edited by PTRACER 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

OK, you assed for it: Sager 3880, 2Ghz, 2G RAM, 128MB Vid Card, lap top.

One day the computer worked perfectly, the next, it ran extremely slow and did not recognize the wireless. This happened after updating the Quick Books program. Now, the first time a program is opened, during the day, it takes forever that first time. All times after that, the programs open as normal. Each defrag shows the same files which cannot be defragged. Always some Quick Books files. I e-mailed the place where I ordered it from and they couldn't figure it out. I don't hink they tried very hard.

Also, this computer is connected to a network and runs other intensive software like AutoCad Mechanical Desktop 2008 and Customer Resource Software.

I, honestly, don't care if it gets fixed as I just plug the network cable in at work or home. It would be nice to have the blazing speed it used to have. Oh yeah, it's a Pentium M and I think they suck.
What if?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

How much free space do you have on the hard drive? You need at least 15% to properly defrag a hard drive.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

I know. ~50% or more.
What if?
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

Warren wrote:I know. ~50% or more.
EDIT: I've had a nearly full disk, before, and when attempting a defrag, Windows asked if it wanted me to go ahead with the job. This was on my desktop at home, though.
What if?
P34
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by P34 »

I have a PC and and a Mac connected via router to each other. In addition, I have my printer connected to the PC. Is there any chance to print my documents directly from the Mac instead of transferring them to the PC first?
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

You probably need a Mac compatible printer driver. Search the manufacturers site. They might have a downloadable one.
What if?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Yeah, I agree with what Warren said, as long as it's a network printer and you can install the driver on your Mac, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Ok, internet question.

If i upload a video or picture, it will do a few % and then it will freeze up. MSN Messenger works perfectly fine, but IE Browser doesnt work at all. It says "cannot connect to the internet" etc

I reset the router and modem and everything is fine, and i will upload the file 1st time.

Whats causing IE to stop working, why doesnt it affect messenger, and what can fix this?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Is IE definitely not set to "Work Offline" is it?

Other than that, all I can suggest is updating to IE7 if you haven't already, then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If IE works just fine with the addons disabled, within IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Manage Addons and disable anything that looks suspect. Then load IE normally and see if it works.

FloP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FloP »

Well Paul, try this one! ;)

At the beginning, I haven't had this problem at all, now it's getting more and more frequent (or so it seems to me).
I'm working with WinXP, as stated in the other thread as well. I have two user accounts for myself - one as "admin" and one as "user", i.e. with restricted rights. The latter is the account I normally use. Sometimes I have to switch between the two, though. In these cases, it can happen that I'm logged in with both accounts at the same time, finish whatever I'm doing as "admin" (usually update all kinds of programs), click "log out" and instead of the "Welcome screen", all I get to see is darkness, with my screen seemingly going into standby immediately. If I had music running (as "user"), it doesn't stop, but the PC doesn't seem to react to any kind of input.
I have tried to log in (using up/down and then entering my password), to shut it down in every way I could think of, but nothing happened until I pushed the reset button. After that, Windows started as usual.

What appears odd is that the only cause of such screen darkness that I know of is some problem with an overheating graphics card, or asking the screen to do something it technically can't.

Obviously, this is nothing too bad, but I still wouldn't know how to fix it. TIA for your assistance! :smiley:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I wouldn't recommend switching between Users, to be honest. It's not the most reliable part of Windows. Why bother having a Limited account if you have access to the Admin account, anyway?

FloP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FloP »

PTRACER wrote:Why bother having a Limited account if you have access to the Admin account, anyway?
I'm doing it for the illusion of security. :) What I may not do, no program may do, which can't be too bad.

I'll try to avoid as much user-switching as possible, thanks for your advice! :cool:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

FloP wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Why bother having a Limited account if you have access to the Admin account, anyway?
I'm doing it for the illusion of security. :) What I may not do, no program may do, which can't be too bad.
Viruses don't affect individual users, they affect the entire operating system, whether you're logged in as admin, or a limited user.

Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

I've been kiddig everyone at work, that my computer was going to melt. Well, it finally did. Luckily, I had a month, or so, old back up on my memory stick. Still, it's been a huge inconvenience. So I took the computer in and the guy managed to retrieve all of my files, the important ones, anyway. Just got it back, today, with a fresh format and all of my stuff on there. The "server guy" is coming in tomorrow to load all of my software back on(AutoCAD, Quick Books, etc..) It will be very nice to get rid of that Dell, I've been using. That XPS is a hunk of junk.
What if?