Sim Racing in Corona time.

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Not watching at all. Watching the Portimao 24h. But i heard from the glitch that caught up Fernando. A pity, because he had shown in the The Race All-Star Series, that he is bloody fast.
It's pretty fascinating to be honest. I want to get back to proper sim racing now, not just offline stuff.
Yeah, same. I'm hoping to get right back into it in retirement. New computer, new rig, VR, a proper seat. Go, go, go!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Not watching at all. Watching the Portimao 24h. But i heard from the glitch that caught up Fernando. A pity, because he had shown in the The Race All-Star Series, that he is bloody fast.
It's pretty fascinating to be honest. I want to get back to proper sim racing now, not just offline stuff.
Yeah, same. I'm hoping to get right back into it in retirement. New computer, new rig, VR, a proper seat. Go, go, go!
When you get back into it, let's form a team :cool:

I am tempted to go for an iRacing subscription, but I am in the middle of deciding which monitor to get. This 21" screen is useless now and my driving is untidy because I can't really see the apexes far enough ahead of time to plan for them. 27" inch doesn't sound a big enough jump so i think i will take the plunge and go right up to 32".
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I am tempted to go for an iRacing subscription, but I am in the middle of deciding which monitor to get. This 21" screen is useless now and my driving is untidy because I can't really see the apexes far enough ahead of time to plan for them. 27" inch doesn't sound a big enough jump so i think i will take the plunge and go right up to 32".
Sadly still another five years away, give or take (let's see if corona destroys everything yet or not in the world of finance). But otherwise, you're on!

I'm puttering around offline in rF2, and I don't feel like I'm dire. My biggest weakness is working on setups - I need an engineer, lol.

I've got a 23 or 24 inch monitor, and I pull it forward when I'm driving. It stands right behind the wheel and keyboard - just over a metre away from me. An extra 3 inches would come in handy (for a monitor too :shock:), and I think it would be enough. But I can certainly see how bigger would be better.

I reckon a curved 31-32 inch monitor would be perfectly fine for a single monitor setup.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Sadly still another five years away, give or take (let's see if corona destroys everything yet or not in the world of finance). But otherwise, you're on!

I'm puttering around offline in rF2, and I don't feel like I'm dire. My biggest weakness is working on setups - I need an engineer, lol.

I've got a 23 or 24 inch monitor, and I pull it forward when I'm driving. It stands right behind the wheel and keyboard - just over a metre away from me. An extra 3 inches would come in handy (for a monitor too :shock:), and I think it would be enough. But I can certainly see how bigger would be better.

I reckon a curved 31-32 inch monitor would be perfectly fine for a single monitor setup.
Five? :jaw:

I would rather be too big than a little too small. I was considering a triple screen setup, or an ultra wide setup, but they are both so expensive... Decent gaming monitors these days are £300 or £400 each these days, which seems crazy. I never spent more than £150 on a screen, but I am sure that is slowing me down because of poor refresh rates and input lag. i.e. if I move my physical steering wheel and the on-screen wheel reacts noticeably later, then I know I am going to be losing time in every corner.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I would rather be too big than a little too small. I was considering a triple screen setup, or an ultra wide setup, but they are both so expensive... Decent gaming monitors these days are £300 or £400 each these days, which seems crazy. I never spent more than £150 on a screen, but I am sure that is slowing me down because of poor refresh rates and input lag. i.e. if I move my physical steering wheel and the on-screen wheel reacts noticeably later, then I know I am going to be losing time in every corner.
That's how it's tracking. A 90% savings rate helps (so no iRacing subscription for me for now, lol).

I guess it depends on what you class as "decent". I'd be happy with one of these: https://www.umart.com.au/Acer-31-5in-FH ... 0378G.html That's GB£145 in today's money.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

That's how it's tracking. A 90% savings rate helps (so no iRacing subscription for me for now, lol).

I guess it depends on what you class as "decent". I'd be happy with one of these: https://www.umart.com.au/Acer-31-5in-FH ... 0378G.html That's GB£145 in today's money.
I can't find that model outside of Australia and it seems to be off the market already. It's a really good price though!

If I buy 31.5", I need the monitor to be capable of 2k at the very least, perhaps even 4k. At only 1080p resolution, everything will look a bit jaggedy and I use my PC for a lot of video and photo editing.

On the other hand, my desk is only 43mm wide so I might find everything a little too big and too close at 32"....I might need to go down to a computer shop and check out the monitors.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I was just flicking through the TV channels and chanced upon the F1 Eseries race from Canada..... so I watched it for a couple of minutes. One thing I did notice is that the Williams cars are still sporting a Rokit inspired livery with Rokit branding all over it. So Williams, having announced their divorce with immediate effect from Rokit some couple of months ago it seemed strange for them to be giving Rokit free TV exposure....
Yes I know it is a bit pedantic, but just sayin'. Thats all.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

They're still using last year's game because the 2020 one hasn't come out yet, hence the rokit branding.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago They're still using last year's game because the 2020 one hasn't come out yet, hence the rokit branding.
And the Codies game is too crap to allow new skins? Lol!